What Would We Have To Do To Get Straight Answers?

KingDL1

I'll agree that football is the flagship sport of the athletic department, but it's not the entire athletic department. It's foolish to gauge the overall performance of the AD on the current W-L record of one sport. Would we be calling for RV's head on a plate if football were winning and women's soccer were in the tank? RV's job is the overall athletic department. Football belongs to TD. Some difficult executive decisions certainly lie ahead, but when I look at the Mean Green Village across the way, the new soccer field, the softball field, the tailgating environment, the improvement of the basketball team (I mean, c'mon, the basketball team used to lose to Irvine for God's sake!), I see great strides being made toward emphasis on athletics at this school. How many of you calling for RV's head are wearing those T-shirts that read "I support ALL UNT athletics"?

I've promised to take the kid to some softball games this spring. I'm really really glad that I don't have to go to some rundown city park to do it.

ETA -- I've known quite a few ADs in my life, and I've only known one other that's as accessible as RV. I've also never seen ANY other AD tireless walk through the stands at EVERY game shaking hands with students and alumni thanking them for coming, shaking hands with the dancers, cheerleaders, and band members thanking them for the job they do. If there's anything Rick's not, it's apathetic about the program and its supporters.

Edited by oldguystudent

[quote name='GangGreen' date='Jan 13 2009, 02:35 PM' post='403186'

Look at it like this. Say you buy your son a new car. Two months later he wrecks it and out of love for the kiddo you pay to get it fixed. Two months later he wrecks it again. Bad luck, right? Pay to get it fixed again.

Well, this happens a few more times. You finally have to make the decision that he is either gonna have to fix it himself or quit wrecking the damn thing.

Edited by RETSO

That's a great idea! Cut off the money, and we're certain to see great improvements across the board!

Times are tough right now and most people don't have the luxury of donating any money right now. I know I am not giving a dime this year but I will try to go to a game or maybe two and I will follow NT athletics much as possible. Whoever can do it will do it but at the same time we want to see results. It is easy blame the alumni which they have their faults at NT but on the other side we have a pretty long history of incompetent leaders to lead in athletics.

I think rumors are floating that we can't count on Tune being around. :ph34r:

Nathan needs a new car to be thrown into the deal to stay. Riley jumped right over him without any reason given during the football season. The only kids that stay are kids that need the scholarship or ones that are too close to graduation, too close to home, or the mightiest, the girlfriend.

If you have any blood in your veins, you play the sport to play, not sit the bench. The Qb position is unique in that only one hits the field and unless your #1 you never see the field. Look at Sneed, he is as good as Colt, its just wasn't in the cards.

I hope Nathan plays football. I hope he plays football and play it well. He has to recognize that he is a junior with two years left. Why would a junior to be stay fully knowing he will never play. Dodge calls his son the second coming of Chase Daniel (which is laughable) but if he believes it, then what hope is there for Nathan with no experience and only two years left.

Nathan is a great kid. He deserves his shot to play. He will not get it here. He knows it. You would have to be a blind man not to see that.

A competitor competes or why play the game. This is not the NFL and a job, its small college football. Best of luck to Nathan.

Nathan needs a new car to be thrown into the deal to stay. Riley jumped right over him without any reason given during the football season. The only kids that stay are kids that need the scholarship or ones that are too close to graduation, too close to home, or the mightiest, the girlfriend.

This is weird to me... I thought that Riley was injured most of the year and therefore would not be ahead of anyone at any position? Why would Tune think otherwise?

I guess all QB's at all schools that are not currently listed as the #1 guy should leave their current program and transfer? Sure there are special cases, but really, guys should just compete - if you're not #1 and you want to be #1, then work to improve - that's not a bad thing.

I'll look forward to seeing Riley and Tune compete - and then hope that our starting QB has a terrific year.

After my wife passed away last February, it was very difficult making $1,000 a year donation. But, I put together a budget and gave. Now, after being a Mean Green Club member since 1983 or so, I am almost ready to give up on this head coach. Eleven students leaving the program in less than 2 years is unheard of....even with the MG Nation. It time for a change......maybe I'll just give $250 and give the rest to OSU? RV needs to address these issues or there will not be even 43 MGC members. Alot of us drive from all over Texas, I drive 12 hours to attend one football game. So disappointed in the lack of leadership.