Congratulations To The National Champions..utah Utes.

FirefightnRick

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As great as the '04 Utah and Boise State '06 teams were, this Utah team probably has the first truly legitmate argument for being National Champions. They will have defeated a Top 10 Alabama, and most likely Top 10 TCU. Also defeated a Top 25 BYU and beat Oregon State - the only school to defeat USC(who I think would beat anyone head to head right now).

This Utah team has some GREAT wins. I hope alot of AP voters do put them #1, because they deserve it.

Vinny: Is it possible, the two utes...

Judge: Eh, the two what? Uh, uh, what was that word?

Vinny: Uh, what word?

Judge: Two what?

Vinny: What?

Judge: Uh, did you say 'Utes'?

Vinny: Yeah, two utes.

Judge: What is a ute?

Vinny: Oh, excuse me, your honor. Two YOUTHS.

Fred Gwynne (Judge Chamberlain Haller) & Joe Pesci (Vincent 'Vinny' Gambini) --> My Cousin Vinny!

Congrats on the two [wins], Utes!

And they also barely won in Ann Arbor and only beat Weber State by 16 on their home field.

Great season, but they aren't the best team out there. USC and Florida would take them but they might give Texas and OU some trouble with how they played tonight.

Edited by mdh0192

And they also barely won in Ann Arbor and only beat Weber State by 16 on their home field.

Great season, but they aren't the best team out there. USC and Florida would take them but they might give Texas and OU some trouble with how they played tonight.

Maybe, but they still deserve the shot to play them.

Utah is definitely a legitimate BCS upper echelon caliber team this year. Are they the national champions? Well no they aren't because they won't be crowned. It is just the way the system is right now. You can make arguments about putting them in another conference and they wouldn't go undefeated but you can say that about any team and any school. The fact that going by the strength of schedule and who they beat, Utah is certainly in the discussion as the big dog in the nation. I just thought it was a great win by them and they are certainly making a lot of strides in making a statement about getting invited to a BCS conference in the near future.

My favorite quote from the AP story (by Brett Martel)

"Alabama could have used suspended All-America left tackle Andre Smith, but even he might not have been enough to stop an Utah defense that played with speed, ferocity and discipline.

(heavy sigh :( ) Reminds me of a group that I used to know. And it seems like the group that I knew was the inspiration for a nickname.

Now, what was that nickname? Mean something? :rolleyes:

Maybe, but they still deserve the shot to play them.

Maybe now after that win...but they still only won by a field goal to a New Mexico team that finished 4-8. This whole situation reminds me of that stupid Boise hype that built after they beat OU.

And you have to remember TCU had them beat on their home field before giving the game away. They are a nice team, but would not be able to run the gaunlet that was the Big 12 South this year. But it sure would be nice to see what they, and TCU, could have done in a tournament.

This is the same old tired argument....

Utah would be a 9-3 or 8-4 type team in a BCS conference. They are a talented team, however playing and beating Bama with weeks to prepare is not the same as beating Bama and then having to turn around and travel to play LSU, then Tenn, then Georgia etc......

We all want a playoff, again however I think Alabama would have had a little extra zing in their step if it was a playoff game and not a consolation prize for being the SEC runner up.

Great Season Utah, big wins over Mich, Oregon St, Alabama and TCU...

but i think a Utah v. OU game would end up the same as the TCU v.OU game....

Maybe now after that win...but they still only won by a field goal to a New Mexico team that finished 4-8. This whole situation reminds me of that stupid Boise hype that built after they beat OU.

Yeah, that dominate USC teamlost to Oregon St. whom Utah beat. :rolleyes:

This is the same old tired argument....

Utah would be a 9-3 or 8-4 type team in a BCS conference. They are a talented team, however playing and beating Bama with weeks to prepare is not the same as beating Bama and then having to turn around and travel to play LSU, then Tenn, then Georgia etc......

We all want a playoff, again however I think Alabama would have had a little extra zing in their step if it was a playoff game and not a consolation prize for being the SEC runner up.

Great Season Utah, big wins over Mich, Oregon St, Alabama and TCU...

but i think a Utah v. OU game would end up the same as the TCU v.OU game....

Utah did beat two schools that will end the year in the top 10, and two others that will do so in the Top 25. The Mountain West only went 3-2 in Bowl games - however that's a good sight better than acouple of the Power 6 leagues that would've been a no questions asked National Champion with four top 25 victories.

The mighty Big 12 South is currently 0-2 in Bowl games. The best they can go is .500 at this point, and I believe they were on paper favorites in both of their losses. It is more than possible they might go 0-4.