Happy New Year And Some Football Thoughts

Harry

Dickey left Dodge plenty. Quit making excuses for Dodge's inability to coach at this level. Dodge didn't play enough of the upperclassmen to even come close to making a blankent statement about what kind of talent was left. As it was, a Dickey walk-on was the best player Dodge had for two seasons. Add that to the fact that Dodge is totally lost outside of trying to gameplan against Grapevine High and he was bound to run the program into the ground as far as he has.

Further, bowl game after bowl game after bowl game you see that more often than not, it's the defense that keeps teams competitive - for programs that win and make bowl games. Unfortunately, Dodge is as clueless about defense as he is how to construct an offensive gameplan suitable for a college football program. Special teams coaching? You know, the part Dodge was personally going to pay more attention to this year? Forget it. He's as clueless there as he is with the offense and defense.

Therefore, next season will be more of the same: us getting our butts kicked week after week, and the desperate Dodgebangers looking for anything and anyone else to excuse it. The best we can hope for is that sometime in October Bataille or the Board or both to fire both Villareal and Dodge and get a real AD and head coach in here.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I have no problem being patient. Most here would say the same.

However-if the coach in question is not the right coach for the job-why delay the inevitable? As I've mentioned before-the players on this team do not respect Coach Dodge. They won't sell out for him-and never will-sorry to say. Former players and parents have little to no confidence in his ability to lead NT to repectability.

Threre are 2 reasons this man has a job-money, and RV. I have to agree with Lonnie Finch on this one-RV needs to become way more involved with the football program.

Ask yourself this question-Do you see anything that would lead you to believe things are going to get better? And by the way-recruiting is an absolute joke right now.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Therefore, next season will be more of the same: us getting our butts kicked week after week, and the desperate Dodgebangers looking for anything and anyone else to excuse it. The best we can hope for is that sometime in October Bataille or the Board or both to fire both Villareal and Dodge and get a real AD and head coach in here.

Dodge's shortcomings have been obvious though we don't necessarily know the reason(s) for his failures. If the ineptitude continues then yes, there will definitely be a hue and cry to stop the bleeding. Now, can you name some legitimate reasons why you would include Villareal?

Dodge's shortcomings have been obvious though we don't necessarily know the reason(s) for his failures. If the ineptitude continues then yes, there will definitely be a hue and cry to stop the bleeding. Now, can you name some legitimate reasons why you would include Villareal?

RV has done a lot for the program. However he alone made this hire at a crucial time for our program

Miraculously we got the stadium vote through.

I think he tied himself to Dodge's success or failure.

Do you trust him to make the right hire if Dodge is let go?

Edited by Green Nightmare

Harry...nice job. For me, I think both RV and TD need to stay onborad and right this ship as far as on the field performance goes. I think RV has done a good job as AD...some of you must have VERY short memories regarding all the promises about facilities delivered by prior AD...none developed as promised. RV has delived on the facilities promises he made when he first arrived! I heard the promises in person and duly yawned and rolled my eyes thinking "here we go again"...well, no...the facilities at UNT have been greatly upgraded, and RV needs some credit for that. When TD was hired I was skepticak, at first, about hiring a HS coach...still do not think it is generally a good idea at a D-1 school...but, I soon jumped on the TD bandwagon and had a good 2007...2008...not so much! However, TD deserves 2009 to see where he can take the team...if 2009 is another step backwads on the field, thewn, OK, I am off the banwagon...but for now, I am 100% fine with keeping both RV and TD. Patience folks...patience...let's give TD the chance to show everyone that he has learned in his first two years and that he is, indeed, the man for the job at UNT. I do think he can do that...yes, I really do!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Agreed, KRAM1...Two years is not enough time to rebuild a program. I've heard some say TD needs five. We need to support him through the upcoming third year, at the very least. GMG!!

I agree also and expected the typical replies from the typical few.

Agreed, KRAM1...Two years is not enough time to rebuild a program. I've heard some say TD needs five. We need to support him through the upcoming third year, at the very least. GMG!!

By rebuilding in 5, do they mean arrive in 5, or begin to show improvement in 5?

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't have much hope that we are improving enough (or any?) to arrive in 5. Perhaps they think we can idle by at 2 wins a year and suddenly we explode to win 8 games in his fifth year and moving forward.

North Texas is one of those venues that give coaches a few years for on the job training. Hell, Dickey was terrible his first few years. Hold your water and let's see what '09 brings. If it is a disaster, then let the poor guy go back to high school.

By rebuilding in 5, do they mean arrive in 5, or begin to show improvement in 5?

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't have much hope that we are improving enough (or any?) to arrive in 5. Perhaps they think we can idle by at 2 wins a year and suddenly we explode to win 8 games in his fifth year and moving forward.

Let us assume Dodge makes it to year 4.

Would a 0.500 2010 season (give or take one game), followed by an 8-win 2011 be what we should shoot for? Would that be enough to renew the contract? Heck, then maybe a 2012 win over a BCS opponent!

Would love to hear from the caped Dodge defenders.