Two More Suggestions For A New Head Coach

In addition to the guys named in previous threads - none of whom we'll get because so many other jobs are now open, and more will follow, I've now dropped into what I call a second tier of coaches to hire:

(1) Danny Barrett, the Assistant Head Coach/QB coach of Buffalo. He and Turner Gill have done an amazing job at Buffalo. The Bulls won a share of the MAC East last year - in their bsecond year. This year, they've won it all to themselves. Despite their incrdeible turnaround, I believe Barrett will be overlooked in most coaching searches. Le'ts get him: http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/footbal...s/barrett.shtml

(2) Chris Thomsen, Head Coach of Abilene Christian. ACU scored 93 in a second round playoff game today. The lowest they've scored all season is 37. In every other game, they've scored at least 42. At one point this season, they ripped off five straight games of 50+ points. And that's just on the offensive side of the ball

On the defensive side, they've only given up 30 twice. In one other game, they gave up 27. In eight of their 11 games, they've given up fewer than 17 points. At one point in the season, they went four games in a row giving up 11 or fewer points. So, they've getting it done on both sides of the ball.

Tailback Bernard Scott has run for 1,987 yards and 26 TDs in 11 games; he also has 42 catches for 750 yards and 6 TDs. QB Billy Malone has thrown for 2,944 yards, 34 TDs and only 6 ints. Receiver Johnny Knox has 52 catches for 1,025 yards and 11 TDs.

The defense has scored seven touchdowns on interception and fumble returns. They have 17 interception on the year to go along with 20 fumble recoveries! 20 f'n fumble recoveries? Are you kidding me? Top it off with 36 sacks for the defensive unit as well.

Former TCU and ACU tight end and TCU and minor league baseball player Chris Thomsen: http://www.acusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...p;Q_SEASON=2008

Also, I'm seriously considering going out to Abilene next weekend to watch those guys in their next playoff game. I don't really care that it's Division II. I just want to see this type of dominance on some field somewhere.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I just want to see this type of dominance on some field somewhere.

Well you sure won't see it here, unless it is the other team doing it to us. No worries, it is always good to read your posts. Also good suggestions for RV as he has some more time to think about who he wants to coach the team next season.

In addition to the guys named in previous threads - none of whom we'll get because so many other jobs are now open, and more will follow, I've now dropped into what I call a second tier of coaches to hire:

(1) Danny Barrett, the Assistant Head Coach/QB coach of Buffalo. He and Turner Gill have done an amazing job at Buffalo. The Bulls won a share of the MAC East last year - in their bsecond year. This year, they've won it all to themselves. Despite their incrdeible turnaround, I believe Barrett will be overlooked in most coaching searches. Le'ts get him: http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/footbal...s/barrett.shtml

(2) Chris Thomsen, Head Coach of Abilene Christian. ACU scored 93 in a second round playoff game today. The lowest they've scored all season is 37. In every other game, they've scored at least 42. At one point this season, they ripped off five straight games of 50+ points. And that's just on the offensive side of the ball

On the defensive side, they've only given up 30 twice. In one other game, they gave up 27. In eight of their 11 games, they've given up fewer than 17 points. At one point in the season, they went four games in a row giving up 11 or fewer points. So, they've getting it done on both sides of the ball.

Tailback Bernard Scott has run for 1,987 yards and 26 TDs in 11 games; he also has 42 catches for 750 yards and 6 TDs. QB Billy Malone has thrown for 2,944 yards, 34 TDs and only 6 ints. Receiver Johnny Knox has 52 catches for 1,025 yards and 11 TDs.

The defense has scored seven touchdowns on interception and fumble returns. They have 17 interception on the year to go along with 20 fumble recoveries! 20 f'n fumble recoveries? Are you kidding me? Top it off with 36 sacks for the defensive unit as well.

Former TCU and ACU tight end and TCU and minor league baseball player Chris Thomsen: http://www.acusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...p;Q_SEASON=2008

Also, I'm seriously considering going out to Abilene next weekend to watch those guys in their next playoff game. I don't really care that it's Division II. I just want to see this type of dominance on some field somewhere.

It does seem like ACU is doing great this year. I doubt that I'll make it to one of their games, but am interested in seeing how they do in the remaining playoff games. Also, speaking of the Lone Star Conference, it seems like West Texas A&M is turning into kind of a coaching pipeline. Doesn't the James Madison University head coach (recent FBS powerhouse) have a WT A&M connection?

I would really love to see the dude from Buffalo get a chance. And, the guy at ACU is unreal. Hey, I know it's Division II. But, this guy just hung 93 on WT A&M who has a coach many people here talked up before Dodge replaced Dickey. If some thought Carthel was good enough for the jump, why not the guy who is now dominating him?

ACU has one, maybe two more games left. There's an outside chance that their tailback could get 1,000 receiving. He'll get to 2,000 rushing next week easily. He's 250 from 1,000 in receiving. Freaking amazing.

It does seem like ACU is doing great this year. I doubt that I'll make it to one of their games, but am interested in seeing how they do in the remaining playoff games. Also, speaking of the Lone Star Conference, it seems like West Texas A&M is turning into kind of a coaching pipeline. Doesn't the James Madison University head coach (recent FBS powerhouse) have a WT A&M connection?

Yes, Mickey Matthews! He played there (70s) and coached there (80s). His claim to fame, though, is that he was part of Jim Donnan's Marshall coaching staff that dominated I-AA ball before they went I-A. Another Texan that was on Donnan's Marshall staff back then was Tim Billings, who is now with Wake Forest. I've put his name in everytime I've suggested a replacement.

Matthew also coached at Georgia. Dude, if we could hire Mickey Matthew or Tim Billings...the recruiting haul those guy could bring from all parts of the country.

Anyway, it's probably best not to talk about it. It makes dealing with the current reality that much more depressing. As it stands, we're picking up the scraps Baylor and SMU are leaving behind - and, they're bad, too! It's hard to believe we're so desperate for WRs after two years that we're offering every JUCO WR that comes down the pike.

When will it end? Please, please, let it end soon. We shouldn't be scrapping around for JUCO WRs in Todd Dodge's third recruiting class, we just shouldn't. What we need is linemen that will give the QB time to throw. He could sign every JUCO WR in the country and it wouldn't make a difference.

Oh, well...add Mickey Matthews to the long list of coaches we'd like to have but never will.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Dana Holgerson, OC @ Houston. A Leach disciple.

Dodge should step down, but I'm afraid his ego won't let him.

At this point, I'd like our next coach to be an experienced Bowl Sub OC, DC or head coach. I'd hate to get into the same situation we're in now, with a Champ Sub coach. I don't want to take that chance. I think we have to wait and see who's left over after all the other coaching hires, and see who's the best we can get. I'd like the OC or DC from TCU if they would leave. Unfortunately, our pay scale doesn't allow us to get first pick.

After watching OU and Tech last night, I think I'd really like to see us go to a pro style offense. It seems everybody is moving to the spread, so there should be more talented pro style QB's and RB's out there for us to recruit. In my opinion, Tech proved the spread can't beat an elite team. Tech's spread simply can't run the ball with power, and that puts their defense in terrible situations. We have the same problem, along with several others. Under the best of circumstances, I think if we stick with the spread, we can only be a strong mid-major, but never a giant killer.

Edited by Side Show Joe

Advice for a new coach : recruit OUT of state HIGH SCHOOL players. I hate to say it but more times than not we only get the leftovers from not only the other 9 DI schools in Texas , but from EVERY conference in the country. We got some great kids under TD his first few years , but have nothing to offer at this point besides a new stadium.

Kids want to come to TEXAS,the greatest FOOTBALL STATE, and show their skills. Take a kid from say , Indiana who is a 3star recruit. His only offers are say from Indiana U and a few MAC schools. We would be able to offer warmer weather , hotter females , better refer :blink: , and a chance to play in TEXAS !!!!

Edited by NT03

IMHO, here is one of the main reasons that Coach Thomsen has been successful at ACU.

But I have a passion for ACU, and I'm excited to sell that passion to our players, our recruits, parents, alumni, and our students, faculty and staff," he said. "I've talked to a lot of people about, and I'm excited about bringing them into the fold and getting them involved in this program."

The reason they have taken it to a higher level is because of their tailback, Bernard Scott....who seems almost unstoppable.

I just wish we had a former NT football player that was an "up and coming" college coach out there that had the same passion for North Texas as Thomsen has for his alma mater, ACU.

Otherwise, we need to find an "up and comer" who gets passionate about any place that he makes a committment to. Someone like Don Carthell at WT A&M. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Carthel

Before anyone gets critical about D-II coaches, please keep in mind that Coach Fran started out as head coach at NAIA (and later D-II) Pittsburg (Kansas)state.

Edited by SilverEagle

If Dodge leaves, I'd like to see us take a run at Turner Gill. former Arlington Heights QB. Maybe he would like to come back to his home state, which is a lot warmer than Buffalo in November. Save the "why would he come here" posts. I realize he may get other offers, but remember, this is home. Plus, we should start acting like the 3rd largest University in Texas, not whining that no one wants to come here.

If Dodge leaves, I'd like to see us take a run at Turner Gill. former Arlington Heights QB. Maybe he would like to come back to his home state, which is a lot warmer than Buffalo in November. Save the "why would he come here" posts. I realize he may get other offers, but remember, this is home. Plus, we should start acting like the 3rd largest University in Texas, not whining that no one wants to come here.

I would really LOVE Gill , if he can recruit kids from TEXAS to go up to Buffalo to play football u know the guy can RECRUIT. He was in the running for the NEBRASKA job and I'm sure he will be landing a BCS head coaching job real soon , he's out of our league now.

I would really LOVE Gill , if he can recruit kids from TEXAS to go up to Buffalo to play football u know the guy can RECRUIT. He was in the running for the NEBRASKA job and I'm sure he will be landing a BCS head coaching job real soon , he's out of our league now.

Not necessarily. He only makes $180K base at Buffalo. I believe Nebraska was his Alma Mater, so they prob gave him a courtesy interview. With the athletic fee approved and the stadium in the works, we would be very attractive to an up and coming coach that knows how to turn around on the field performance.

I agree. we need to start acting like the 3rd largest university in Texas, and fund our recruiting, so we can recruit around the country.

I think the OC or DC from TCU would be nice. They have experience recruiting quality talent both locally and nationally, have proven they know how to win at the highest level, and they are already in the area. Patterson is probably leaving anyway, so one will be named the head coach, and the other can come to the Mean Green!!! We might be able to get a new series with TCU out of it! :)

I agree. we need to start acting like the 3rd largest university in Texas, and fund our recruiting, so we can recruit around the country.

One good thing I think Dodge has done is try and break the culture of UNT Admins, fans, and Alum viewing the institution as 2nd rate in athletics. His bold statements about the need for the new stadium, recruitment (although mainly unsuccessfully) of high caliber recruits that we never even bothered to talk with before Dodge came here, and his total commitment to the program via student and media contact are a model for the next coach. Unfortunately, none of it transferred to success on the field, which is the measuring stick.

One good thing I think Dodge has done is try and break the culture of UNT Admins, fans, and Alum viewing the institution as 2nd rate in athletics. His bold statements about the need for the new stadium, recruitment (although mainly unsuccessfully) of high caliber recruits that we never even bothered to talk with before Dodge came here, and his total commitment to the program via student and media contact are a model for the next coach. Unfortunately, none of it transferred to success on the field, which is the measuring stick.

I think the OC or DC from TCU would be nice. They have experience recruiting quality talent both locally and nationally, have proven they know how to win at the highest level, and they are already in the area. Patterson is probably leaving anyway, so one will be named the head coach, and the other can come to the Mean Green!!! We might be able to get a new series with TCU out of it! :)

I like it.

How about Ball St. offensive coordinator Stan Parrish? He coached at Michigan and for the Tampa Bay Bucs. The Ball St. staff knows what rebuilding a program is all about.

this program is also mired in several off the field issues, that have been noted on another post. :ph34r:

I like it.

How about Ball St. offensive coordinator Stan Parrish? He coached at Michigan and for the Tampa Bay Bucs. The Ball St. staff knows what rebuilding a program is all about.

Sounds good to me, but I like the idea of adding a long series with TCU, to go with the SMU series. The more games close to home, the better. Saves our budget too.

Yes, Mickey Matthews was a running back for WT.

At this point, I'd like our next coach to be an experienced Bowl Sub OC, DC or head coach. I'd hate to get into the same situation we're in now, with a Champ Sub coach. I don't want to take that chance. I think we have to wait and see who's left over after all the other coaching hires, and see who's the best we can get. I'd like the OC or DC from TCU if they would leave. Unfortunately, our pay scale doesn't allow us to get first pick.

After watching OU and Tech last night, I think I'd really like to see us go to a pro style offense. It seems everybody is moving to the spread, so there should be more talented pro style QB's and RB's out there for us to recruit. In my opinion, Tech proved the spread can't beat an elite team. Tech's spread simply can't run the ball with power, and that puts their defense in terrible situations. We have the same problem, along with several others. Under the best of circumstances, I think if we stick with the spread, we can only be a strong mid-major, but never a giant killer.

Ball State and USC do not use the spread as their basic offenses. They seem to be having some success.

Regarding Turner Gill. I follow Nebraska football very closely. I can assure you guys there is no way TG will come to NT. Regardless of home ties.

A very well conected Nebraska alum/booster has stated recently Turner will be up for several high profile jobs in the next few years-including-yes-Penn St-who is very interested in him.

And yes-his interview at Nebraska was a "courtesy" interview.

I think you guys need to be more concerned with the growing posibility(albeit a small one) that North Texas will not field a football program in a few years-its that bad. These players have NO respect for him at all. I feel very strongly that Todd Dodge needs to resign immediatly-because RV will not fire him. So be prepared for more of the same next year-sorry to say. My best advice would be to contact the president and AD to make your feelings known.

These are truly desperate times for NT football gentlemen. Very sad indeed.