Practice Blog....

CMJ

Others have been a little skeptical about this year, but I've thought that otherwise....we are extremely deep at the guard and, assuming that Odufuwa can fill Wooden's role, then we will have a great team. The blog mentioned that Jones thinks this might be his most talented team yet, which confirms my initial impressions.

I think that we have a chance to be very good also. We are a little on the small side, so we better avoid injuries to the big men. Hopefully, the smu transfer will provide us with some nice big man defense off the bench. I've heard that he has a lot of raw talent in that area. Howerton will be important also against the bigger teams.

I think that we have a chance to be very good also. We are a little on the small side, so we better avoid injuries to the big men. Hopefully, the smu transfer will provide us with some nice big man defense off the bench. I've heard that he has a lot of raw talent in that area. Howerton will be important also against the bigger teams.

The SMU transfer won't provide anything accept in practices because he has to sit out a year.

The SMU transfer won't provide anything accept in practices because he has to sit out a year.

Not good. I guess I was thinking that he had a year off after smu. The defensive development of Howerton and the avoidance of injuries is even more important than I thought. The Belt has some pretty big teams this year, and all the bigs other than Odufuwa, Howerton, and maybe Tramiel are a bit on the thin side. I still think we're going to be very good with our talent and depth out on the perimeter.

If only there was a video camera on hand, Blog imagines that Collin Dennis would join Randy Johnson in YouTube fame after Saturday’s practice. As the horn was sounding in a scrimmage drill, Dennis sent a half-court desperation shot flying. That’s when an unsuspecting sparrow (we’ll call him “Warhawk”) met Dennis’ attempt and wend down in a mess of squawks and feathers on the Super Pit floor.

Have no fear, friends of the feather. A manager was able to scoop Warhawk up and take him outside, where he was able to fly away under his own power.

Pretty funny.

According to today's practice blog, Ben "Fort" Knox has been impressive so far and may be actually competing for playing time now. Given that everyone, including me, expected him to be strictly a project player for the next several years, this could be a exciting and important development if Ben is actually playing well enough to earn a few minutes on the floor in his freshman year. They also need to make sure that he eats 5 meals a day and hits the weights.... he needs about 25-30 Lbs added on to his 6'10" frame.

Another interesting comment came from JJ who said that freshman point guard Dominque Johnson is one of the fastest PGs Jones has ever seen....

..........should be a fun season...

Edited by chrisfisher

According to today's practice blog, Ben "Fort" Knox has been impressive so far and may be actually competing for playing time now. Given that everyone, including me, expected him to be strictly a project player for the next several years, this could be a exciting and important development if Ben is actually playing well enough to earn a few minutes on the floor in his freshman year. They also need to make sure that he eats 5 meals a day and hits the weights.... he needs about 25-30 Lbs added on to his 6'10" frame.

Another interesting comment came from JJ who said that freshman point guard Dominque Johnson is one of the fastest PGs Jones has ever seen....

..........should be a fun season...

If he could just contribute 6-8 minutes and few fouls a game it would be a success. We have enough people to score in my mind , but need a big body to grab a few boards and block or alter a few shots per game.

If he could just contribute 6-8 minutes and few fouls a game it would be a success. We have enough people to score in my mind , but need a big body to grab a few boards and block or alter a few shots per game.

My thoughts exactly.

Hank Dickenson said, "the 1-2-3 combo of Dominique Johnson, Josh White and Collin Dennis gives the Mean Green the best backcourt [i've] seen in [my] time in Denton."

My guess is that it is also one of the smallest...This is such an interesting season ahead... the team is loaded with talent, but a bit undersized... we'll see if this athletic and aggressive bunch can overcome the weight deficit. My guess is that we will. Wooden was only 50% for most of the season and sat out quite bit... that meant we have already relied on big men at 6'8" or smaller and still managed 20 wins.. Obviously we are in the same size scenario this season, but I think our guard play will be even better... this adds up to a 20 or more win season.... which is my early season prediction.

The blogs have provided some interesting nuggets the last few days. But he's also gone on some odd tangents at times. Still, I'm glad they went to blogging the hoops practices this year. I hope they keep it up in the future.

Edited by CMJ

The blogs have provided some interesting nuggest the last few days. But he's also gone on some odd tangents at times. Still, I'm glad they went to blogging the hoops practices this year. I hope they keep it up in the future.

I hear you.. what was that stupid Civil War analogy??? Talk about an irrelevant post... how about more player performance info!

Edited by chrisfisher

I hear you.. what was that stupid Civil War analogy??? Talk about an irrelevant post... how about my player peformance info!

I'm even a CW buff, but that was the one of the wierdest offshoots I ever read. I mean, it's not like either of those are uncommon last names. :lol:

Edited by CMJ

The blog recently reported that Eric Tramiel suffered a injury at practice. I emailed Vito to see what he knew. He said that Eric only rolled his ankle and that he was walking around yesterday just fine.... good news... we need the big men healthy and I am also eager to see Eric play. He sounds like he could be a great recruit.

Edited by chrisfisher