Wbap Radio Currently Running A Negative Stadium Ad

FirefightnRick

I just had a phone interview with the woman who was on campus today doing the story. She interviewed me for a good 5 minutes or so with plenty of questions. She told me she talked to about 10-11 students and some of them didn't even know the vote was going on and th rest were against it. BUT, I def. gave her my side of the story and why I'm for it. Maybe they will have another story for students for the stadium. Let me know if so.

Was it a phone interview or a conversation? Did she say she was recording you for a possible follow up story? I hope so.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had a phone interview with the woman who was on campus today doing the story. She interviewed me for a good 5 minutes or so with plenty of questions. She told me she talked to about 10-11 students and some of them didn't even know the vote was going on and th rest were against it. BUT, I def. gave her my side of the story and why I'm for it. Maybe they will have another story for students for the stadium. Let me know if so.

If she waits to do it Friday like another posted she would it will be too late to correct the bad info she already gave out... :blowup:

Was it a phone interview or a conversation? Did she say she was recording you for a possible follow up story? I hope so.

We first had a conversation then she turned on the recorder and did a phone interview for about 5 mins at least. I'm pretty sure she is doing a follow up story. Like I said above, I told her about the REAL facebook group that is students FOR a new stadium and also told her about GMG.com for more information regarding the YES side of the story.

Just got off the phone with Eli the reporter that did the report, and she says that she interviewed 10 people for it and no one said they would vote for it, but they also said they wouldn't take the time to go out and vote no. She said that there was a lot of apathy towards going out and actually voting and that out of the 10 people she interviewed, none of them even knew there was voting taking place this week. Said she didn't know about the Facebook or GMG.com so she would check out both. Said she is planning a followup story on friday. She interviewed the students at the Union.

By Friday most will have already voted!

It's a good thing nobody listens to WBAP.

Edited by NT80

We first had a conversation then she turned on the recorder and did a phone interview for about 5 mins at least. I'm pretty sure she is doing a follow up story. Like I said above, I told her about the REAL facebook group that is students FOR a new stadium and also told her about GMG.com for more information regarding the YES side of the story.

Good Job. Hope she runs it before Friday. All of this for a story that any student under 50 won't here, but it must be done!

She had to have a connection through UNT. Why would you do that? Bring your school down?

She's a reporter. She did this because it's her job. It's not her job to bring her school up or down; her job is to report the news she finds. I'm guessing she was assigned this or heard about the voting starting today. She came to the campus and interviewed ten or eleven people, and none of them were in favor of the stadium, so she reported that. Because that's what WBAP pays her to do.

Pure conjecture: Facebook and discussions with those attending the football game suggest the students are in favor. But this reporter and the Daily poll suggest they're opposed. These may actually be consistent results.

When I attended UNT (when it was called NTSU) I was on the Union Program Counsel that did movies and events in the Union, and we were always told that the majority of students went to class then split, and they didn't care about campus life or extracurricular events. We always had to program knowing that. In this instance, perhaps the majority of students have no idea that this vote is happening and could not care less. So if only a small percentage of the student body knows about this vote, perhaps that's why this reporter found such indifference and perhaps why the Daily's polling was so skewed - because random selection on a weekday morning is going to find mostly those students who are not interested. A reporter asks random students if they want to pay for a new football stadium, and, not knowing the details of the issue, their gut reaction is no. Fortunately, the Facebook results suggest that of that minority of students that have taken an interest in this issue - and are likely voters - a significant majority are in favor of the stadium.

Just a theory.

She's a reporter. She did this because it's her job. It's not her job to bring her school up or down; her job is to report the news she finds. I'm guessing she was assigned this or heard about the voting starting today. She came to the campus and interviewed ten or eleven people, and none of them were in favor of the stadium, so she reported that. Because that's what WBAP pays her to do.

Pure conjecture: Facebook and discussions with those attending the football game suggest the students are in favor. But this reporter and the Daily poll suggest they're opposed. These may actually be consistent results.

When I attended UNT (when it was called NTSU) I was on the Union Program Counsel that did movies and events in the Union, and we were always told that the majority of students went to class then split, and they didn't care about campus life or extracurricular events. We always had to program knowing that. In this instance, perhaps the majority of students have no idea that this vote is happening and could not care less. So if only a small percentage of the student body knows about this vote, perhaps that's why this reporter found such indifference and perhaps why the Daily's polling was so skewed - because random selection on a weekday morning is going to find mostly those students who are not interested. A reporter asks random students if they want to pay for a new football stadium, and, not knowing the details of the issue, their gut reaction is no. Fortunately, the Facebook results suggest that of that minority of students that have taken an interest in this issue - and are likely voters - a significant majority are in favor of the stadium.

Just a theory.

Also like i have mentioned above, after doing the interview with her on the phone, she said she has seen the new plans and thought they were great so she isn't against the stadium at all.

You know I think the mere fact that she talked to 10 people as she said on the phone when I called her, and none of them said that they would go vote no, tells you that most of those who are going to take the time to vote no, probably won't out vote the "yes." I haven't heard the story she did, so I have no idea if it was good or not, but how many reports do you hear on the news radio or tv that are very good or for that matter give both sides? I honestly think she was given the story since she went to UNT and only after we started calling her did she really start looking at the other side of it - thanks to FFR for posting this and giving us a chance to do that. That being said, she is really friendly and would love to talk to any of you guys/gals that want to call her and I do think she will do a followup before friday, especially if a lot of folks call her.

So, was this an ADVERTISEMENT or was it a STORY?

It was a story.

WAY TO GO MEANGREENBDUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the rest of you who called in.

I listened to the 8 p.m. news update and they are now running a completely different spin on the stadium vote. Leading into it that there's a vote on the stadium and then your interview, which you did an excellent job dude! Excellent JOB!!!! They then counter that with there are others that oppose it, and then that's simply the end of it.

In the very least it's now gone from givnig a complete one sided "anti stadium" view to a two sided view of both sides. Maybe that was the plan all along, but since 4 p.m. today until 8 p.m. tonight the slant has completely been changed.

Way to go folks. I'm very proud of you all for responding so quickly.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

WAY TO GO MEANGREENBDUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the rest of you who called in.

I listened to the 8 p.m. news update and they are now running a completely different spin on the stadium vote. Leading into it that there's a vote on the stadium and then your interview, which you did an excellent job dude! Excellent JOB!!!! They then counter that with there are others that oppose it, and then that's simply the end of it.

In the very least it's now gone from givnig a complete one sided "anti stadium" view to a two sided view of both sides. Maybe that was the plan all along, but since 4 p.m. today until 8 p.m. tonight the slant has completely been changed.

Rick

Hats off to you my friend for posting the thread. I can always make a call to a reporter, but without you posting it, I for sure wouldn't have known about since I usually listen to the Ticket during the day.

Rick

Glad I could help. Thanks for posting that number. Any chance we can hear that story again online somehow??? Or is there a transcript? Did she have audio of me or just quotes??

Sorry for seeming like I was coming down on the reporter. I have a BA in Communication and Masters in Journalism. In my eyes it was a poor attempt to do research. Maybe she got this assignment last minute or something. But even reading the comments on the NT Daily website - it is obvious there are people"for" and "against". Even a telephone call to 88.1 to dig more information or to the NT Daily to get info from people who have covered this would have given her insight to the the social networking sites. Also a call to the SGA office would have helped?! Just my thoughts. But I am glad it was caught and cleared up.

Here is the podcast from the 6pm news cast. This was before I was able to give my interview so I'm hoping they post the 8pm newscast podcast with my interview. Listen for the girl at the end...she obviously has never been to a football game and maybe never seen Fouts. I'm pretty sure the other guy you hear in the background was being sarcastic...

http://podcasting.fia.net/5155/3139956.mp3

Did she have audio of me or just quotes??

It was a phone interview. And I assume it was you if you were the one that mentioned the fact that compared to NT students, students at the other Texas schools pay higher rates and that NT was way behind and you were surprised a fee increase wasn't done sooner than now?

Rick

It was a phone interview. And I assume it was you if you were the one that mentioned the fact that compared to NT students, students at the other Texas schools pay higher rates and that NT was way behind and you were surprised a fee increase wasn't done sooner than now?

Rick

Yes, that was me. Isn't that right as far as other schools paying more?

3.8 share ratings across the board, ranking it 5 places higher than 105.7, the next closest talk station, with heavy 5.x ratings during the Limbaugh and Hannity shows; both shows beat what Russ Martin, and more than double what The Edge and The Eagle pull in COMBINED during the same timeslots.

...but nobody listens to WBAP. :rolleyes: