Wbap Radio Currently Running A Negative Stadium Ad

FirefightnRick

".....WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE AND PAY FOR A STADIUM??????.................Students at North Texas are being asked to increase their tuition by $7 per credit hour to buy a new stadium at the university of north texas and the STUDENTS there want no part of it"

Then you hear two students being interviewed saying...

"....I have no use for a stadium and never will"..............".....If you want to improve your football program then how about win some games?".

This is the ad promo being played right now every time WBAP goes into break from the day's shows. I just called and let the news room people hear about it, asking that they at least make a fair and balanced report rather than something so unbelievably negative towards the stadium and stated that there are thousands of students who are in support of this issue because they want all facilities at their university to be improved, including their football stadium. To this the guy said, "Hey, I only report the news I'm given". I then said well your not being given all the news that there is to report. He then thanked me and hung up.

Here's the number. Please let them hear from you and be polite and accurate as well. And for you students who are for the stadium here on this board, here's your chance.

817-429-6397

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"....I have no use for a stadium and never will"..............".....If you want to improve your football program then how about win some games?".

That bs, tell those kids to go the U of Dallas or elsewhere.

Phone call was not taken but voice mail was excepted and placed.

Ad time on WBAP goes WAY beyond any spending limits of a student election! Ads and Promos are two completely different things though. If it is an ad, someone paid for it. A promo is used to promote a program or event by the station or the station group or network, etc. I can't believe they would be running it as a public service announcement since it obviously advocates for students to vote a particular way. If it is a news story, someone from the University needs to call them correct their bad information.

news talk 820 am....old school talk radio....

it's a shame that they are running this ad....is this being paid for by the students against the stadium? if so, i would think that would be over the 1000 allowed.

Man that is shocking. I do wonder if that is an ad that someone placed, because you right, that definately falls over the $1000 allowed. I am not sure why WBAP would want to run that just to be running it though, especially that often.

On the bright side, the amount of students that actually listen to WBAP can't be that high.

Thankfully no one under the age of 40 listens to WBAP.

HAHAHAHA, OH-SO-TRUE!

And now, counterarguments:

".....WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE AND PAY FOR A STADIUM??????.................Students at North Texas are being asked to increase their tuition by $7 per credit hour to buy a new stadium at the university of north texas and the STUDENTS there want no part of it"
Wait, what? Every student at every school pays for their stadium. Either by their money going to the building of it OR going to the people who run the stadium. Secondly, does this "voice" have mind control over the student body? Who is he/she to say the WHOLE student body wants no part of it?

"....I have no use for a stadium and never will"

Uhm, okay. I don't have any use for the biology building, but I don't want people to let it go to crap. I also don't need the biz building or RTVF, but I still want it to provide what it does for those who DO use it. I had NO use for Goolsby chapel but I didn't oppose it. That's stupid and flawed logic.

".....If you want to improve your football program then how about win some games?".

This is awesomely flawed. I won't even get into the 3 or 4 ways this is bad logic.

Just got off the phone with Eli the reporter that did the report, and she says that she interviewed 10 people for it and no one said they would vote for it, but they also said they wouldn't take the time to go out and vote no. She said that there was a lot of apathy towards going out and actually voting and that out of the 10 people she interviewed, none of them even knew there was voting taking place this week. Said she didn't know about the Facebook or GMG.com so she would check out both. Said she is planning a followup story on friday. She interviewed the students at the Union.

Ad time on WBAP goes WAY beyond any spending limits of a student election! Ads and Promos are two completely different things though. If it is an ad, someone paid for it. A promo is used to promote a program or event by the station or the station group or network, etc. I can't believe they would be running it as a public service announcement since it obviously advocates for students to vote a particular way. If it is a news story, someone from the University needs to call them correct their bad information.

Do students listen to WBAP?

Sounds to me that someone's got a relative that works for WBAP. Also, I have a question. I thought there were some type of bylaws that stated the students couldnt place any type of advertising about this outside of campus.? Maybe I'm wrong on that. But, if so, how is it Kosher then to commission a radio station thats completely un-affiliated with the university and allow them to broadcast it all over the metroplex? Wouldnt that be breaking that type of rule? I guess they can hide behind the gray line of "it's not an ad, it's a news report". Ok, fair enough, but if it's played continuously through the week, THATS an ad. I dont care if it was 'comped" for free.

Also, about the comment about the age group....Hell, I'm 43 and I dont listen to WBAP. Try 50 somethings....

Edited by trud1966

I just had a phone interview with the woman who was on campus today doing the story. She interviewed me for a good 5 minutes or so with plenty of questions. She told me she talked to about 10-11 students and some of them didn't even know the vote was going on and th rest were against it. BUT, I def. gave her my side of the story and why I'm for it. Maybe they will have another story for students for the stadium. Let me know if so.

Edited by MeanGreengdub

Also, she told me she made a facebook account and joined the group she thought was for the stadium and said there was only 10 students so I led her to the real group for the stadium with close to 2,000 members. Also gave a shout out to GMG.com and told her how everyone on here is very optimistic that it will pass and there has been a lot of exchange of information for and against the stadium.