Cobbs Is Rockin'

THE CLAW

Game Recap

Running back Patrick Cobbs had a career day as he caught two long touchdown passes from quarterback Chad Pennington for a total of 133 yards and Pennington finished 19-of-25 for 284 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. Miami's defense forced three crucial turnovers, all of the killing productive drives by the Texans.

Cobbs, who entered the game without a career touchdown reception, reeled in a 53-yard bomb midway through the first quarter on a play that revealed another new wrinkle to the now infamous "Wildcat" formation. One play after running back Ronnie Brown took the direct snap and handed it to running back Ricky Williams for a two-yard gain, he did the same thing on 2nd-and-8, handing it to Williams again, who pitched it to Pennington on the reverse and Pennington hit a wide open Cobbs down the middle for an easy score and a 7-0 lead.

The Texans answered with a Kris Brown field goal and then Cobbs took a short screen pass from Pennington and rambled 80 yards for a touchdown that put Miami ahead 14-3.

Miami lined up in the "Wildcat" formation eight times, with one of the plays negated by a holding penalty on center Samson Satele. The formation has now accounted for six touchdowns this season, and Cobbs was the beneficiary this time. Pennington admitted it was by design after he and the offense saw how Houston defended the first play to Williams, and when he saw Cobbs streaking down the field with nobody near him all he could think of was not to miss him.

"We had to have a change-up," said Cobbs, who finished with three catches for 138 yards. If they wanted to bring everybody down in the box, and you have to try to stop Ronnie and Ricky around the edge, we just had something built in that if they did we'd have something to come back with."

If he wins this for them, there's no way he stays low on the depth chart any longer.

And this just after his appearance in the DRC. Maybe Vito or the ULL rusher is his lucky charm.

You give the Fins staff too much credit. Cobbs has wowed on several occasions (mostly preseason, but still) and they have found ways to stiff him time and again.

It still gets under my skin the way they handled the depth chart in general when Ricky first came back.

--Below is the link to the Yahoo write up of the Miami/Houston game.. Note the picture on the right as the outstanding Miami player. He looks a little familiar to us.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap;_ylt=Ak6...gid=20081012034

Im a Texans fan, through and through, but I couldn't help but feel a great bit of pride seeing Cobbs do what made my college years special.

Way to go, #38. Keep tearing it up!

I'm a Texans fan also, and the exact moment I turned the game on, Cobbs was catching the 80 yard screen pass. Everyone in the house thought that the place was on fire the way I was yelling for him to go all the way. I wasn't happy that he didn't get more PT after those two TD's. The Cowboys blew it by not giving the local kid a chance.

I'm a Texans fan also, and the exact moment I turned the game on, Cobbs was catching the 80 yard screen pass. Everyone in the house thought that the place was on fire the way I was yelling for him to go all the way. I wasn't happy that he didn't get more PT after those two TD's. The Cowboys blew it by not giving the local kid a chance.

Yup, of all their problems right now, the Cowboys are probably lamenting not having a back who can make a big play or two in the passing game. If only they could have done that yesterday...

Now, no matter what happens, I feel like Cobbs has a chance to stay in the NFL somewhere no matter how many RBs the Dolphins have.

---Cowboys ( as well as NT) got a lesson in "Special Teams matter". They gave up a TD on the opening kickoff, they missed a Field Goal to end the half (hit pole) and had punt blocked in OT. Change any of those and they win. In addition overtime existed because of a long Field Goal.

yep.... Special teams matter ---- and should be worked on constantly and not taken lightly.

Our coach in HS also considered goalline stands (both sides) "special teams" as well. He was fairly successful... he won 9 state titles. (Gordan Wood) He constantly worked on all of them..... every week.

Cobbs in addition to being a reserve RB works on many Special teams...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Yup, of all their problems right now, the Cowboys are probably lamenting not having a back who can make a big play or two in the passing game. If only they could have done that yesterday...

Now, no matter what happens, I feel like Cobbs has a chance to stay in the NFL somewhere no matter how many RBs the Dolphins have.

Would be nice if the Cowboys had Cobbs now.

I watched the Miami game on NFL Replay. I watched the 3 Patrick Cobbs plays and was pretty happy. I think I was more impressed with the screen play for 80 yards then the Wildcat play no one paid attention to him or the little 5 yard reception.

I was afraid Cobbs was headed for the bubble next season. He is a player without a big name, playing sparingly, and could be easily replaced next season with a rookie and lower salary.

A friend at works follows the Dolphins closely and he even says PC will survive. The fact he had a HUGE day last Sunday helped too. But I saw PC on more then just third down and special teams. He is the FB on several plays too.

While I am not the one calling the shots, I think PC has some time left in Miami and the NFL.