Drc: Unt Students To Vote On Fee / Stadium Monday

NT80

UNT students can vote on fee for new stadium Monday

01:03 AM CDT on Saturday, October 11, 2008

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON –

Students at North Texas will vote Monday during the fall election on whether to approve a fee of $10 per credit hour to help build a new football stadium.

The future of the North Texas football program could be at stake over the next few days, not on the field, but in the polls.

The fee of $10 per credit hour that would take effect when a new stadium opens has sparked debate among UNT's students who are divided over whether it is the right time to invest in a stadium.

Students can vote Monday through Friday. The results will be released Saturday.

UNT's students have been hit hard by the downturn in the economy, and the school's football team is in the midst of an historic slide.

The Mean Green, 0-5 this season, is 7-33 since it last won the Sun Belt Conference title in 2004 and is 2-15 in two seasons under coach Todd Dodge.

"It makes it more difficult to pass a fee with the team struggling," UNT student body president Jeff Kline said. "We think we will be able to get the fee passed because there is a need for a new stadium, and it will bring a better team in the long run."

UNT wants its new stadium to be ready by 2011 and seat between 32,000 and 35,000. The stadium would replace Fouts Field, which opened in 1952.

Edited by NT80

UNT students can vote on fee for new stadium Monday

01:03 AM CDT on Saturday, October 11, 2008

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON –

Students at North Texas will vote Monday during the fall election on whether to approve a fee of $10 per credit hour to help build a new football stadium.

The future of the North Texas football program could be at stake over the next few days, not on the field, but in the polls.

The fee of $10 per credit hour that would take effect when a new stadium opens has sparked debate among UNT's students who are divided over whether it is the right time to invest in a stadium.

Students can vote Monday through Friday. The results will be released Saturday.

UNT's students have been hit hard by the downturn in the economy, and the school's football team is in the midst of an historic slide.

The Mean Green, 0-5 this season, is 7-33 since it last won the Sun Belt Conference title in 2004 and is 2-15 in two seasons under coach Todd Dodge.

"It makes it more difficult to pass a fee with the team struggling," UNT student body president Jeff Kline said. "We think we will be able to get the fee passed because there is a need for a new stadium, and it will bring a better team in the long run."

UNT wants its new stadium to be ready by 2011 and seat between 32,000 and 35,000. The stadium would replace Fouts Field, which opened in 1952.

How many buildings on campus are older than Fouts? Also any idea what the average life expectancy of campus buildings are?

Possibly Bruce Hall, Kendall Hall, Crumley Hall, Terrill Hall, and the Biology Building.

But none of those are all falling apart at the seams.

College Inn is though, THAT definitely needs to go.

College Inn rivals a crack motel in ammenities. I think they are going to build a College Inn II, which looks awesome.

Boy, golly, jeepers, guys.

$10.00....$10.00....$10.00....$10.00....

It's amazing how a vote for a $7 increase is never presented as such.

108045020_e1b538467c.jpg

I guess that if you're only willing to view things from certain angles then you won't see what others believe is obvious.

A little Vito slant on the situation? I'd prefer a little more positive article.

This was some gold that 3XNTGRAD posted that definately merits repeating from the book Down the Corridor of years. Link to original post

According to the "Story of North Texas", UNT built eleven buildings in 1950-1952, including Fouts. As a comparison in light of the need to replace Fouts, what has been the fate of these other buildings from that time period?

1950 - Lab School - demolished (I'm assuming this building was the old "Houston Hall" that was destroyed for the parking garage to be built)

1950 - Men's Gymnasium - refurbished and still in use

1951 - Masters Hall - demolished in 2008 to make way for new Life Science Complex

1951 - Women's Gym - still in use

1951-1952 - Quadrangle Dormitories and cafeteria (5 buildings total) - Cafeteria and one quad demolished, 2 Quads totally renovated for Music Practice, another renovated (so 3 of 5 still in use)

1952 - Kendall Hall - scheduled for demolition 2009 to make way for new Business complex

1952 - Fouts

So, of the 10 other buildings built at the same time as Fouts, 5 have been or will shortly be demolished. 3 of them have been renovated (two extensively) and re-purposed. Only two of the 10 are still in use in a way similar to their original purpose.

It is fairly obvious from this list that things designed 58 years ago don't fit the present needs of the university and should be either replaced or re-purposed when possible. Since there is no other purpose that Fouts can serve, replacement of this outdated infrastructure is the only real solution.

Okay - I know I'm preaching to the choir, but just thought the comparison would be interesting.

"UNT's students have been hit hard by the downturn in the economy"

Umm, proof? Despite the talk about private loans drying up, UNT is not Harvard. I would be hard pressed to find a student who would require a loan larger than those backed by the federal government. My loan this semester was just as easy to get as it was three years ago. Gas prices? Students can ride DCTA because they already pay a transportation fee. The tuition increase was voted in last year before the market went south for the winter.

I just see no reason to throw in this comment.

don't much care for vito. I don't expect a cheerleader as he is not paid to be one, but talk about a flat piece of work. in fact many of the pieces i see from him are just flat out doom and gloom. i do my best to distance myself from doom and gloom people and his work does not enthuse me.

gmg

Bruce was built in the late 40's. It's been renovated a few times. Renovating a Residence Hall is much easier and cheaper (though by no means is it fun) than dealing with an outdated and run down stadium.

College Inn wasn't built by UNT. It's been on the "when do we blow the f---er up" list since sometime in the 90s. I was under the impression it was supposed to go down in 2004 or something but obviously that never happened. With all the new Housing projects over the last few years, I'm shocked it's still there. I was never overly impressed when I lived there, just happy to not have a roommate.