Scheduling

stebo

I believe that we need to pull out of any games that we can for the next two years and schedule IAA's. It is really time to go back to basics, that means Samfords and the like on the schedule. I don't know if our schedules are locked in next year or the next - but we neep some cupcakes for wins so that we can build some confidence in this team. We did it for JJ, Dodge deserves the same. Oh, and it would also be a good barometer to decide if the Dodge system is ever going to work. If we can't beat IAA's - we need a change. Until then, I have nothing to judge it on - there is a lot of parity at the IA level and I can't tell if the system is just bad or if we just need more time.

Edited by stebo

Disagree. While a win may add some confidence, a loss would absolutely destroy any confidence. This is a gamble with a far greater downside than upside. If we win, all the players will hear is that they were supposed to beat that team (which is true). If we loose, imagine th negative press. The best thing for this program is a win over a legit 1A program,.

I believe that we need to pull out of any games that we can for the next two years and schedule IAA's. It is really time to go back to basics, that means Samfords and the like on the schedule. I don't know if our schedules are locked in next year or the next - but we neep some cupcakes for wins so that we can build some confidence in this team. We did it for JJ, Dodge deserves the same. Oh, and it would also be a good barometer to decide if the Dodge system is ever going to work. If we can't beat IAA's - we need a change. Until then, I have nothing to judge it on - there is a lot of parity at the IA level and I can't tell if the system is just bad or if we just need more time.
********************************************************************************

I have always believed NT needs to schedule one AA game to start the season....a winnable game to help get our team get the season start with a win like the BIG NAME SCHOOLS do with low to middle 1A teams. It would be one more home game. I'm tired of playing the # 1 team in the nation and getting big losses to start every year.

Disagree. While a win may add some confidence, a loss would absolutely destroy any confidence. This is a gamble with a far greater downside than upside. If we win, all the players will hear is that they were supposed to beat that team (which is true). If we loose, imagine th negative press. The best thing for this program is a win over a legit 1A program,.

If we lose and maybe lose consistently to D1AA schools then it will be time to move back down to D1AA.

I don't want to play a 1-AA team for the reasons UNT90 pointed out. But, if we do play a 1-AA team, is should only be at Fouts or whatever the new stadium is called. There is no reason to play a home and home with a 1-AA. Our fans should have every opportunity to watch the Mean Green at home. If it's a "sure win" then it needs to be before the home crowd.

I hope to see everyone Saturday

GO MEAN GREEN

Stebo good point. But where are the $$$$$$$$$ we receive from these games going to from if we do not play them? Especially, if you are trying to raise funds for the new stadium. This dilemma is just another example of a poorly underfunded program.

Stebo good point. But where are the $$$$$$$$$ we receive from these games going to from if we do not play them? Especially, if you are trying to raise funds for the new stadium. This dilemma is just another example of a poorly underfunded program.

That's where the athletic fee comes in, once the stadium is built and paid for , with constant money coming in we can quit scheduling body bag games, however if we can get them at home it might be good for crowd attendance, but we have to win.

I have always wondered why we didn't do this as the first game of the season. That way you have a great chance of always starting the season off on the right foot with a win. Besides, I think we had a good crowd the last time we started our season on a thursday night against Abilene Christian.

But Stebo, we've got to play the best blah, blah, blah. <_<

A year ago Hawaii propelled itself to it's Miricle Season and a BCS Bowl by following the scheduling strategy that you described.

They had blowout wins of 66-3 over Northern Colorado and 66-10 over College of Charleston.

Other than that, they had a very ordinary success against Division 1-A competition:

45-44 over La Tech

42-35 over San Jose St

37-30 over Fresno St

28-26 over Nevada

All nice wins, but within a touchdown of schools that had lower Sagarin ratings than the top few Sun Belt schools.

A single comeback win against a BCS school in the season finale, at home, against a 4-9 Washington team, was all it then took to secure a BCS Bowl bid.

I talked with Rick V and Hank about this very thing last summer. They said that they felt like the home and home series that we have coming up with the two MAC schools gave us a great chance to win some games. They had no real interest in playing a 1-AA school in the immediate future at the time that I talked to them.

As long as we get a good crowd, it will offset the payout for most "money" games. We did this for JJ - the likes of Cameron University, Texas A&M-International, SE Okl State, etc.. I really don't think it is a good policy for long term success - you are right, if we lose - it is a lose/lose situation. But at this point we need to see if this coach can even beat those teams. I think it would serve two purposes - allow us to have another winnable home game and also see exactly how good (or bad) this team/style is. I am so up in the air right now, I just don't know if we need to start all over again or give it more time. These types of games would be a good way to judge if we needed to make the hard decision (to cut our losses and move on) or if we just need to give our coach more time.

---One I-AA team on the schedule would be ok.... especially if it is a regional type opponent such as Texas State or Sam Houston. Losing to them might hurt team confidence but what do think losing to Rice 77-20 and Tulsa 56-26 does. It hasn't been that long since we were I-AA. Sounds sort of elitist (aka SMU-ish) to avoid them. They would be better attended games than some we play (fans from both sides) and should have more fan and media interest.

---If the Big-XII don't consider themselves "too elite" to put one on their schedule once in a while, we should not either. As stated... if you can't win most (not all) of those then you are in the wrong division.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I think another thing this does is allow you to actually learn and implement things and give the athletes a better chance to execute things. Installing a new system against the likes of LSU and OU is like learning chess by playing against Deep Blue. Playing these money games lessens the kind of situational learning you practice all week. You get a lot of practice at 1st/2nd/3rd and long on offense, and a lot of practice at 1st and 10 on defense. For me, it's not even about opportunities for success or "gimme" games because I'm not sure there's any such thing for this team right now, but if we were at least able to start the year with some lesser opponents, I think our team would get a better understanding of running the offense and defense for themselves.

the other problem is that the schedule is made 3-5 years in advance, i was talking to RV about this a few weeks ago after the tulsa game...when he scheduled them, they were bad and of course by the time they played us they were real good...plus get use to the bodybag games....were playing in Alabama next year :(

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

Next years schedule is a favorable one for NT. We play Army, Ball State and Ohio. None of the big boys. I believe we play KState in Denton in '10. Our schedules should be better in the coming years. I know that we will play some big boys down the road, but for big money and only one game per year. If we give this thing some time I believe we can get to where we want to be.

:huh:

Next years schedule is a favorable one for NT. We play Army, Ball State and Ohio. None of the big boys. I believe we play KState in Denton in '10. Our schedules should be better in the coming years. I know that we will play some big boys down the road, but for big money and only one game per year. If we give this thing some time I believe we can get to where we want to be.

:huh:

Undefeated Ball State who's cracking the Top 25?

Let's hope they drop off next season.

My post was reference to this team at this time. Realizing that schedules are made years in advance, I wouldn't have a problem scheduling a D1AA home game in several years, assuming this program has improved to the point of being a heavy favorite in said game and said game is against a geographically desireable opponent.

That's where the athletic fee comes in, once the stadium is built and paid for , with constant money coming in we can quit scheduling body bag games, however if we can get them at home it might be good for crowd attendance, but we have to win.

Don't we have some sort of athletic fee coming in now? We are years away from not having to schedule body bag games. New stadium won't make a difference as we do not have the money of SMU, which seems to be a measuring stick of many on this board.