Clarification And Apology

Glad To Be Green

In a recent tour of the stadium to show students the problems at Fouts Field I was addressing the group about the main "reasons" students are saying they are against the fee. In the process of the conversation I brought up the position of some "that we (we meaning students against the fee) keep saying the football program sucks" as a reason for voting against the fee. I then stated "Well it does. I went on to say that "I am as embarassed as anyone about the way we are playing right now. However that was followed up by "But it's not going to get better until we make changes and support the program. My reference to the "program" was in reference mainly to the stadium and all the those things that can affect a team's performance as well as the effects it has on our team and its' ability to be successful. Remember I was there talking about the need for a new facility. I did not say our team sucks and never would. However based on comments I have received I understand how many of you may have taken that and I apologize. I stopped by Coach Dodge's office this afternoon and explained it to him but apologized for the way it may have been taken. I intend to do the same with the team tomorrow.

To all of you I wanted apologize if it was offensive and to say that I have done nothing but support our coaches and our kids through this difficult time. I believe that they will get this turned around and we all need to support these young men in every way we can.

In a recent tour of the stadium to show students the problems at Fouts Field I was addressing the group about the main "reasons" students are saying they are against the fee. In the process of the conversation I brought up the position of some "that we (we meaning students against the fee) keep saying the football program sucks" as a reason for voting against the fee. I then stated "Well it does. I went on to say that "I am as embarassed as anyone about the way we are playing right now. However that was followed up by "But it's not going to get better until we make changes and support the program. My reference to the "program" was in reference mainly to the stadium and all the those things that can affect a team's performance as well as the effects it has on our team and its' ability to be successful. Remember I was there talking about the need for a new facility. I did not say our team sucks and never would. However based on comments I have received I understand how many of you may have taken that and I apologize. I stopped by Coach Dodge's office this afternoon and explained it to him but apologized for the way it may have been taken. I intend to do the same with the team tomorrow.

To all of you I wanted apologize if it was offensive and to say that I have done nothing but support our coaches and our kids through this difficult time. I believe that they will get this turned around and we all need to support these young men in every way we can.

I would rather hear your honest opinion quite frankly. We all understand you are the AD and you have to say the right thing, but it was refreshing to hear some honesty from the top. You didn't say anything that we aren't already thinking.

It's very understandable how Rick could be frustrated to the point of saying what he did. It's commendable of him to make amends those who might take it personally.

Frankly, "anyone who might take it personally" are the ones that need to step up and quit sucking. As far as I see it, Rick has nothing to apologize for.

Rick

There is no reason to apologize to anyone on this board, we know what the current state of our program is . I can see some players or others who might have taken offense and we appreciate your positivity.

What I do see is the FACT that alot of sports in NORTH TEXAS ATHLETICS PROGRAM has recevied enormous support from your office and has achieved consistent success throughout the years, soccer, basketball, and tennis. But our Football program has been sputtering in its attempts to take off.

I among others I pray that we can be blessed with a new football stadium and will do everything in my power as an alumni to use whatever connections I might still have to hoepfully ensure the vote passes. We have been tripped throughout the years by the likes of SMU, past adminstrators, and now our own student newspaper. We thank you once again for fighting the good fight for this program and hopefully we can prevail in the Athletics fee vote in the coming weeks, and hopefully see a groundbreaking ASAP on a nice stadium that will set the path for future successes and welcome our fans, alumni, and CURRENT and FUTURE STUDENTS from tailgating in the parking lots to see the action up close in a real football atmosphere.

Thanks again and hopefully we can get this passed and look towards progress throughout the rest of the season.

P.S.: Please advise ALL UNT Athletes, Trainers, and Student Employees to vote for their future and not miss the chance to vote, they consist of hundreds of pro stadium votes......

Edited by UNT_playmaker

It is very important for students to understand that they are making a choice in where they want to program to be, not where it is now. We understand what you were trying to say, and I understand your own guilt that your comments may have been misunderstood by others is driving you to make apologies. I believe this clarification is needed, but not to us. And you are rectifying that already.

See you Saturday.

I understand the point that Rick was trying to stress to the students and I hope his apology is accepted by his athletes. I believe he certainly meant no disrespect to them because I know Rick, I may not always agree with him on everything, but I know he has always spoken of our athletes with respect and has always had their best interest at heart.

Frankly, "anyone who might take it personally" are the ones that need to step up and quit sucking. As far as I see it, Rick has nothing to apologize for.

Amen. Does anyone remember where we were before Rick V came to UNT? Just where this program was? We would not have come this far without his efforts.

There are some very harsh realities we are all dealing with right now, but I do not believe Rick V has given up for one moment.

Edited by Smitty

RICK ,

I being a former athelte.....no not at this level, but as an athlete I never minded the truth being told to my face . I wanted it. Heck it fired me up to prove everyone wrong. The players will accept your apology and understand you want the best for them and for UNT. Athletes need to hear the truth and believe me they will respond. Heck I cant wait ...... I believe you just woke a sleeping GIANT. I would play the tape for the guys and tell them to prove me wrong. The truth hurts sometimes......but man can it get YOUR MIND RIGHT!!!!!!

I will be there Saturday

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICK ,

I being a former athelte.....no not at this level, but as an athlete I never minded the truth being told to my face . I wanted it. Heck it fired me up to prove everyone wrong. The players will accept your apology and understand you want the best for them and for UNT. Athletes need to hear the truth and believe me they will respond. Heck I cant wait ...... I believe you just woke a sleeping GIANT. I would play the tape for the guys and tell them to prove me wrong. The truth hurts sometimes......but man can it get YOUR MIND RIGHT!!!!!!

I will be there Saturday

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you been watching this team? It might fire them up for a quarter if we are lucky.

I don't see the need for an apology. It is the truth and like Jaydub says, those that suck need to embrace it and step up. The players and staff need to know they have your support and that they are still your team and you are behind them. They should be able to handle the truth knowing you back them.

RV,

You don't read this board very often if you think you need to apoligize for that (just read a few posts after every game) :D I think you've done a fantastic job from day 1. You've given the mean green a great vision, and now we'll see if we can make it a reality!

Edited by Mean'n'Green07

I suspect that we have all said things that we wish that we had not said - or that we had said with different words. I know that is true in my life. When that happens, you tell folks that you are sorry and move forward. That is what has happened here. It is done. People who are your friends will not worry about it. People who are not your friends will use try to use it against you in the future. That is the way life is. All you can do is to try to be more careful next time.