Dodge Bawl

MeanGreenZen

And alumni.. My sons baseball coach is a NT alum and all he can talk about in UT football and baseball.

He even named my sons baseball team the Longhorns. I sugested the Mean Green and he replyed next year.

I'm not sure how it works out, but I'm pretty certain that every team in the youth Frisco Football League is the Longhorns.

Guys I've got to be honest with you; after driving 7 hours to go to the game. I was very disappointed. I will say this though and that it I really enjoyed sitting up close to the players bench. After every 3 and out I got to watch them come back and sit on their bench and watch their facial reactions, I got to watch the coaches yell/encourage them, I got to watch them try to encourage each other. It was a part of the game that I have not experienced before...esp DeLoach and him yelling at the defense.

I will also note that I saw RV walking around late in the game behind the players and he looked very upset and down about the game. I really felt bad for the guy.

He and others (e.g., Jimbo Fisher) expressed interest--I can't recall who all interviewed. But he would not have taken the position here with the pay we were offering. He is making $1 mil./year at Stanford.

I don't know for sure that Harbaugh wouldn't have taken the position here; I believe he was working on a volunteer basis at the University of San Diego just before he interviewed. I do think it may have been a problem that Harbaugh was facing charges on a DUI at the time he interviewed, and that probably came out. I think North Texas may have been trying to get away from alcohol related problems in the football program at that time.

In my opinion, as other schools continue to pay significantly higher coaches' salaries, North Texas ought to be looking toward paying higher coaches' salaries in the future--do you not agree?

Well, I know paying more for better coaches works out much of the time, but it hasn't helped Texas A&M out all that much for what they have paid the past few years. As for North Texas I just don't think it's relative to the point where your giving up 77 points to Rice. Corky Nelson probably didn't get nearly that much in regards to his time period and the scale of pay, plus he was at one point the AD as well as the head coach and coached more than one position, and I never recall any of his teams getting it taken to them them like what happened today, even against the 1-A programs. Looking around the country today you see 1-AA programs playing the larger schools fairly well in some instances. I don't know. I just don't think at NT that salary is even relative at this point. Whatever the problem is it goes way beyond that right now.

Rick

Hiring Deloach fixed that problem. Dodge's problem has been his inability to recruit defensive linemen. Hopefully, if we can get the stadium issue passed Dodge will have some more ammunition to go after the big boys up front.

I'm not sure I totally agree with that statement. There was one play (and many similar to it) where Rice ran an out route on their 15 yard line to the long side of the field... the receiver was wide open and we have ONLY one guy in zone coverage about 5 yards away from him. Needless to say the Rice receiver basically WALKS into the endzone. It wasn't just that we couldn't get a pass rush or make a tackle, this was clearly a terrible scheme. Again, doesn't help our guys were getting blown off the line of scrimmage or can't make a tackle in space.

That's more, way more than any previous coach has ever recieved at North Texas. Including Jerry Moore, Corky Nelson, Dennis Parker, Matt Simon and DD. Salary isn't the problem.

Rick

Actually, if dodge were to start winning, it would be a problem. He would be headed for another program to 5x his salary (Hell, isn't SMU paying June Jones 2M a year?). If we ever get a winning program, eventually we will have to pony up to keep it.

It's hearsay so don't take this as "gospel", but I'd heard through the ol' grapevine that even though Dodge wasn't making millions, if he could get people as excited about UNT as they had been about SLC, he'd basically end up giving himself a raise by virtue of that excitement bringing in more donations, some of which would up his salary. Again, I'm not in the loop as far as the committees and such I was in when I was undergrad, so this could all be b.s. but it sounds pretty realistic to me. "If you succeed, you'll be writing your own paycheck. If not, this is what you get."

Edit: None of the others have told me what they're making, but the most recent of the Moot Court crowd to get his (law) job offers will be making a minimum of $160K to start. Just a bit under TD's salary.

Edited by JesseMartin

It's hearsay so don't take this as "gospel", but I'd heard through the ol' grapevine that even though Dodge wasn't making millions, if he could get people as excited about UNT as they had been about SLC, he'd basically end up giving himself a raise by virtue of that excitement bringing in more donations, some of which would up his salary. Again, I'm not in the loop as far as the committees and such I was in when I was undergrad, so this could all be b.s. but it sounds pretty realistic to me. "If you succeed, you'll be writing your own paycheck. If not, this is what you get."

Edit: None of the others have told me what they're making, but the most recent of the Moot Court crowd to get his (law) job offers will be making a minimum of $160K to start. Just a bit under TD's salary.

Sure, he has incentives in his contract. I posted this link earlier in the thread, but here it is again: http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...6&hl=salary

Dodge’s contract, which was signed Dec. 12 and begins Dec. 26, runs through August 2012 with a base salary beginning at $185,000 and increasing to $230,869 in 2012. In addition, he will be compensated an additional $75,000 each year for maintaining UNT’s NCAA certification, NCAA Division I level and Sun Belt Conference Membership; completing the season including any post-season NCAA-sanctioned bowl games; and participating in all required radio appearances.

Additional incentives include those for:

• increased season ticket sales

• conference championships and post-season bowl games

• academic achievement of players

• win-loss record

• Top 25 ranking in the Associated Press Poll and ESPN/Coaches Poll

• Coach of the Year for the Sun Belt Conference and/or National Coach of the Year for the Division I Coaches Association.