Why Redshirt Riley Dodge?

Smitty

Why redshirt Riley Dodge?

The argument in favor of playing Riley this year is based on putting your best players on the field in order to win now and not in five years. A very reasonable position, but I don't think it works in this situation, and here's why.

Riley has two positions to play, QB or WR. His best position, I believe, is QB. But Vizza has played very well at QB and there is no reason to make a change. Vizza is a team leader, he has experience, he makes plays, and despite tremendous pressure this year he has limited his mistakes. That leaves playing Riley at WR. But because of this team's depth at receiver (Fitzgerald, Roberson, Dibrell, etc.) he's not filling a glaring weakness. Riley is, at best, a minor upgrade at the fourth receiver. I think the Tulsa example is a good one. Yes, Riley provided a spark, but he didn't make a big difference. This team's quarterback and receivers are more than good enough to win. The problems are elsewhere, and Riley cannot remedy those problems. Playing Riley this year, to me at least, does not make a significant difference.

But the cost of playing him this year is very high. Given the current depth at his positions, Riley's greatest value was in learning the college game and being ready to start at QB after Vizza is done. Redshirting him would have given UNT six years of solid signal-calling - four from Viizza and two from Riley. Every program tries to build that kind of QB rotation, but by losing a year of his eligibility now, we have surrendered one of Riley's years at QB down the road.

I know lots of people want to see Riley out there now. He's exciting. But because of the depth at his positions, his skills are not needed now, and playing Riley now is an unnecessary waste of one of his years of eligibility.

Putting in Riley at WR can probably only be debated if we know the 40-times of every guy at WR and we can level the field and then quantitatively measure their receiving stats. Honestly, Riley is one of the 5 fastest guys on the roster. He probably has some of the best hands on the team, too.

Also, he looked like he knew how to play football!

Putting in Riley at WR can probably only be debated if we know the 40-times of every guy at WR and we can level the field and then quantitatively measure their receiving stats. Honestly, Riley is one of the 5 fastest guys on the roster. He probably has some of the best hands on the team, too.

Also. he just doesn't seem big enough to play QB at the D1 level.

But the cost of playing him this year is very high. Given the current depth at his positions, Riley's greatest value was in learning the college game and being ready to start at QB after Vizza is done. Redshirting him would have given UNT six years of solid signal-calling - four from Viizza and two from Riley. Every program tries to build that kind of QB rotation, but by losing a year of his eligibility now, we have surrendered one of Riley's years at QB down the road.

You say this as if 2012 is the last season of North Texas football and Riley Dodge is the last quarterback we will ever recruit.

Also. he just doesn't seem big enough to play QB at the D1 level.

I don't know why I'm even responding to that statement because I consider it ridiculous (no offense intended), but I do not think that Riley's size will prevent him from playing QB at this level. There are too many examples to mention, but Vizza is not exactly a giant, and neither is that kid who starts down in Austin. I guess we will have that question answered eventually.

I don't get it. Coach Dodge needs a "red shirt" class to build this program on...several DI programs helped get things turned around through the redshirt system. One example is Gundy at OK State. While OSU plays in the pretty tough Big XII-South, it looks like they might have a decent season...hopefully better than the "usual and recent" 7-5. This is due in part to the fact that Gundy finally has a "redshirt" class to work with...and they are hios guys!

But, Coach Dodge is the head coach and we'll go with his call on this.

You say this as if 2012 is the last season of North Texas football and Riley Dodge is the last quarterback we will ever recruit.

THANK YOU!!! COME ON people, I am CONFIDENT that we will recruit another QB sometime within the next 5 years! As a matter of fact, I thought TD stated that he wanted to recruit a QB in every recruting class (and not just for purposes of playing at DB, but for the QB position) anyway.

I still say RD is too small to play as a DI-A QB...but he might, of course, prove the naysayers wrong.

Anyway...WAY too early to worry about not having enough good QB's!

If TD is not winning in 4 yrs, he wont be around to recruit QB's.

I say play RDodge. Put the best players out there. He is fast, slippery, can catch............and allows for a wrinkle at WR.....he can throw the ball on a reverse, backward pass.......keep the "D" thinking. Move him around. He can come in and take a direct snap....is he going to run...is he going to throw? He is our "SLASH" or would it be "FLASH"? how about "DASH"

We need a nickname for RDODGE and his new addition to the game.

I don't get it. Coach Dodge needs a "red shirt" class to build this program on...several DI programs helped get things turned around through the redshirt system. One example is Gundy at OK State. While OSU plays in the pretty tough Big XII-South, it looks like they might have a decent season...hopefully better than the "usual and recent" 7-5. This is due in part to the fact that Gundy finally has a "redshirt" class to work with...and they are hios guys!

But, Coach Dodge is the head coach and we'll go with his call on this.

Whatever, Gundy had great players left to him when Les Spare opted to coach at Loser State U. If anything GUNDY has been the reason they haven't made more noise in their division. They've blown what, 3 games to Texas where they were up big? They can't finish games. I personally like Gundy, I think he's a good guy and his epic meltdown is one of my all-time favorites, but I don't believe for a second his relative success thus-far has been due to his ability to "red shirt" any more than I believe his inability to get past mediocrity is solely due to not having "his" guys.

As for Riley, my opinions have been stated over and over. I dont think he's ready to play QB but if his speed and athletic ability help us win in any capacity, I'm fine with it. Im still all for Vizza being the guy. I dont understand the red shirt deal, but I assume Dodge knows more about what he has on this team than I, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Just this one, because the rest of our game is awful. We have to find a way to win games, period. Our program- in it's current state- is a JOKE.

So I guess I agree and disagree with you. Which is a break from my usual total disagreement. :D

on this whole redshirt/no redshirt rodge thing, the wifey brought up a point that i haven't seen mentioned yet....what if the shoulder injury has hampered him from developing as a quarterback? maybe once practice started, there was some pain or some limited throwing movement and he hasn't been able to overcome it. so wide receiver is going to be his best position, now and for the future. just a thought.

on this whole redshirt/no redshirt rodge thing, the wifey brought up a point that i haven't seen mentioned yet....what if the shoulder injury has hampered him from developing as a quarterback? maybe once practice started, there was some pain or some limited throwing movement and he hasn't been able to overcome it. so wide receiver is going to be his best position, now and for the future. just a thought.

I have wondered that same thing since Saturday, Radiogreen. There has been mention of tendenitis (oddly, attributed to a lack of throwing). Sometimes rehab calls for some, but limited, activity. We fans have to consider the possibility that what (we think) is best for the team is not necessarily what is best for the player. There could be other factors not specifically related to football, or football related injuries that affected the decision not to redshirt Riley this year, if ever. My understanding is that last year, he had a girlfriend already at North Texas as a student-athlete. Maybe he didn't want to be too far behind her in school, with the implication being that someone redshirted would be at North Texas longer than 4 years.

Riley on the field as WR leaves open the option to use him as QB from that position. A quick lateral toss out to Riley then down the field to another receiver. Make teams defend two QBs on the field. He performed well enough for him to earn more time on the field. I want to win now too!

Riley on the field as WR leaves open the option to use him as QB from that position. A quick lateral toss out to Riley then down the field to another receiver. Make teams defend two QBs on the field. He performed well enough for him to earn more time on the field. I want to win now too!

Another option is that Riley will redshirt his sophomore year thus putting him back on track to take over two years after Vizza has graduated. Todd just needed help right now but knows that redshirting Riley next year is the smart move. TD has it all under control!

Another option is that Riley will redshirt his sophomore year thus putting him back on track to take over two years after Vizza has graduated. Todd just needed help right now but knows that redshirting Riley next year is the smart move. TD has it all under control!

That's a Riley/Vizza scenario I hadn't heard before. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever heard of that being done before--playing someone his freshman year, and then redshirting him his sophomore year; unless you count "medical redshirts" and extenuating circumstances.

Coach Dodge made some comments in his Mean Green Insider interview that alluded to the possibility, but I still don't see it happening. For a player, it would have to feel like a huge step backward.

That's a Riley/Vizza scenario I hadn't heard before. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever heard of that being done before--playing someone his freshman year, and then redshirting him his sophomore year; unless you count "medical redshirts" and extenuating circumstances.

Coach Dodge made some comments in his Mean Green Insider interview that alluded to the possibility, but I still don't see it happening. For a player, it would have to feel like a huge step backward.

Is that even possible? I thought you could only take a redshirt your freshman year and the only way was to get a gray shirt or medical shirt your other years.

Red Shirt

Red shirting is not an official NCAA term, but the term is used when a student-athlete does not participate

in any competition during a particular academic year (i.e., neither in the championship nor the nonchampionship

segment of the playing season). A student-athlete may be red-shirted at any point in his/her

athletic career.

Red Shirt

Red shirting is not an official NCAA term, but the term is used when a student-athlete does not participate

in any competition during a particular academic year (i.e., neither in the championship nor the nonchampionship

segment of the playing season). A student-athlete may be red-shirted at any point in his/her

athletic career.

So, I expect Riley to redshirt next year.

Not saying it can't be done. I would describe what was done with W. Ky as somewhat extenuating circumstances--going from playing 1-AA competition one year to 1-A the next. Were it not for the comments Coach Dodge made, I would say there is no way they redshirt Riley next year. I still think it's unlikely, but we'll see.