2008-2009 Home Basketball Games Announced

SUMG

(from the football game program):

Men:

Nov. 12---Texas A & M International (exhibition)

Nov. 14---Cameron

Nov. 26---Jackson State

Dec. 3---Sam Houston State

Dec. 6---New Mexico State

Dec. 15---Houston Baptist

Dec. 29---UTA

Dec. 31----MTSU

Jan. 10---Ark. State

Jan. 15--Denver

Jan. 17---FAU

Jan. 29---Troy

Feb. 7---ULL

Feb. 12--UNO

Feb. 19---ULM

Feb. 21---UALR

March 4---1st round SBC tourney games (campus sites)

March 8--10-----SBC Tournament (Hot Springs, Arkansas)

Women:

Nov. 7---East Texas Baptist

Nov. 11---TWU

Dec. 2---Houston

Dec. 6---Valparaiso

Dec. 20---UNO

Dec. 31----MTSU

Jan. 10---Ark. State

Jan. 15---Denver

Jan. 17---FAU

Jan. 29---Troy

Feb. 7---ULL

Feb. 19--ULM

Feb. 21---UALR

March 4---1st round SBC tourney games (campus sites)

March 8--10-----SBC Tournament (Hot Springs, Arkansas)

Every single home OOC game should be an expected win. Not sure what the road slate is like outside of Oklahoma State, but if we can get into conference again with just 2 or 3 losses... It could give our new frontcourt and Ben Bell-less backcourt a chance to gel and get some good confidence.

I wish there were a few more inspiring games on that schedule, but considering the early season transition, I'll settle for what will hopefully be easy wins.

Basketball scheduling seems to be different than football in some respects..."tuneup" games are more tolerated. Having said that, other than some conference games I only see two that I'm remotely interested in seeing this year. Then, it will depend on the day of the week. I hope the road schedule is more meaty or our RPI will be lower than whale shit.

Really? I think wins over UTA (we haven't beaten Scott Cross yet), NMSU, and Sam Houston State......will be tough to come by.

I'm not expecting them to be a walk... But we should beat UTA at home. We should have done it 2 years ago, but let's not get into that embarrassment again.

NMSU and SH State won't be walkovers or anything, but I honestly do expect this team to be capable of winning those games. I don't think they're in the bag, but my personal expectation is a win against both.

I'm not expecting them to be a walk... But we should beat UTA at home. We should have done it 2 years ago, but let's not get into that embarrassment again.

NMSU and SH State won't be walkovers or anything, but I honestly do expect this team to be capable of winning those games. I don't think they're in the bag, but my personal expectation is a win against both.

Sam Houston State had a very good season last year. They were 23-8 (10-6 conference) with wins over some quality teams/conferences including Texas Tech, Fresno State, and Central Florida. They had a 1 point loss to San Diego State in OT. This should be a very good game assuming they returned many starters.

MANY years (and beers) ago, Houston Baptist had a very respectable NAIA program. I remember seeing them in my undergrad years at Pan American, as well as Texas Western. Pan American had Lucious Jackson (MVP, Tokyo Olympics and NBA Rookie of the Year (Phila. 76ers)); Texas Western had Jim "Bad News" Barnes. That was a helluva game in Edinburg and I think TW beat PA by 4 points. Houston Baptist played competitvely in those circles.

I suspect they are trying to rebuild their proud tradition. They play a stronger schedule this year than we do.

MANY years (and beers) ago, Houston Baptist had a very respectable NAIA program. I remember seeing them in my undergrad years at Pan American, as well as Texas Western. Pan American had Lucious Jackson (MVP, Tokyo Olympics and NBA Rookie of the Year (Phila. 76ers)); Texas Western had Jim "Bad News" Barnes. That was a helluva game in Edinburg and I think TW beat PA by 4 points. Houston Baptist played competitvely in those circles.

I suspect they are trying to rebuild their proud tradition. They play a stronger schedule this year than we do.

Yes they indeed have a strong schedule. They play this season, for example, Marquette, Middle Tennessee State, Illinois State, Texas-Arlington, Villanova, South Alabama, New Orleans, North Texas, Iowa State, Ohio State, Fresno State, Boise State, and Louisiana Tech. Most of their OOC games are on the road.... ouch. Tough schedule.

Pan American had Lucious Jackson (MVP, Tokyo Olympics and NBA Rookie of the Year (Phila. 76ers)); Texas Western had Jim "Bad News" Barnes

A blast from the past.

I saw Jim "Bad News" Barnes (not to be confused with thug, coke-head Marvin "Bad News" Barnes) play for Cameron JC (now Cameron U) vs Decatur Baptist JC (now Dallas Baptist U) at Decatur somewhere between late 1960 or early 1962.

I still have many TV memories of the pre-maturely bald Lucious Jackson and his rim rattling dunks. Back then Boston vs Philadelphia was the NBA game on TV almost every Sunday. It is easy to forget a player who teamed with Wilt Chamberlain in the low post, but Jackson was not underated at the time.

Yes they indeed have a strong schedule. They play this season, for example, Marquette, Middle Tennessee State, Illinois State, Texas-Arlington, Villanova, South Alabama, New Orleans, North Texas, Iowa State, Ohio State, Fresno State, Boise State, and Louisiana Tech. Most of their OOC games are on the road.... ouch. Tough schedule.

Wow, that is very tough.... :blink:

I doubt they have many wins with that schedule.

I really appreciate the difficulty in scheduling 25 or 30 games, but something needs

to be done about putting a schedule of games in the hands of fans so we can

coordinate our calenders. Some of us are working hard and have committments

that we schedule 3 and 4 months ahead. I guess if all of the fans live in Denton

and work there from 8-5 there is no problem with late date schedules. I, like

many of you are already working on my 2009 calender. I'm afraid it just points

out how institutions are not on the same "page" with all of its fans. Oh well,

still love the green and I be there when I can.

Buford, You DO remember. The day I first met "big Jack" was in 1963 at the men's dorm at Pan American. He was hairless THEN. First, he was a class act and a regular guy. Second, he had smarts (book and street). Probably the most prominent athlete I have ever known personally. We were all so happy to see him get the recognition he deserved. The 76ers came to Edinburg to play an NBA exhibition/preseason game his second year in the league and it was awesome. By the way, my yearbook has a photo of him with his wingspan measured by a tape measure by the team's trainer...6' 9" !! That is as TALL as he was also. No wonder he could do those alley-oop dunks!

Another memory - St. Edwards came to Edinburg and they had a big center named Mike Otolski from my hometown (South Bend, IN). After the game I went to the locker room to say hello to Otolski and found him sitting with an ice bag on his face. Jackson had gone so high for a rebound and stuck his legs and elbows out that he KICKED Otolski in the side of the head. Sounds unbelievable but a photographer caught it and it is in the Pan American yearbook (El Bronco).