Riley Dodge - Redshirt No More

Smitty

I simply could not believe my eyes this evening. Riley Dodge was playing. His redshirt was gone. North Texas had six years of quarterbacking lined up. Now we have five. We are burning a year of Riley Dodge's eligibility for him to play slot receiver. Your quarterback of the future. At slot receiver. Your quarterback of the future. SLOT...FREAKING...RECEIVER.

Coach Dodge, in his post-game interview, said it was because they were short at slot receiver. So they put in their quarterback of the future. And burned a year of his eligibility.

speechless.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply could not believe my eyes this evening. Riley Dodge was playing. His redshirt was gone. North Texas had six years of quarterbacking lined up. Now we have five. We are burning a year of Riley Dodge's eligibility for him to play slot receiver. Your quarterback of the future. At slot receiver. Your quarterback of the future. SLOT...FREAKING...RECEIVER.

Coach Dodge, in his post-game interview, said it was because they were short at slot receiver. So they put in their quarterback of the future. And burned a year of his eligibility.

speechless.

I'm just WAITING for the defense of this. Waiting. George and Hank didn't even have anything... they were stunned. George finally fell back on a "we're thin at WR, I guess Dodge just wants his best athletes on the field" thing, but it was weak at best, and he didn't even sound sold on it. I'm just mesmerized by it.

I don't expect this to be too long of a thread because Smitty summed up EXACTLY my thoughts on the situation...and probably many others as well. I'm going to defer to Coach Dodge on what's best for the team because he knows a helluva lot better than little ol' me, but as far as I'm concerned, YIKES! We could have had Riley to QB us for 2 years and now he'll be the QB for one year (assuming Vizza plays all 4 years) ... just because we need a WR!?!? We need to save his talent for when we have a solid football team w/key contributors at important positions!

Of course, you're assuming that Dodge was actually planning on redshirting him. We knew that Riley was running routes in practice this week as a wide receiver, so it obviously wasn't a grasping at straws desperation move. You want your best players on the field--if that describes Riley, put him on the field.

Open up the F-ing Qb controversy now that his redshirt is gone! Just what our sophomore QB needed. The best thing you could have doen for Vizza was to redshirt Riley. How can he not look over his shoulder when the coach's son has jsut burned his redshirt???

Just GREAT! Stupid decision!

I said this during the in game chat and I will say it again...I would not be surprised if TD himself thought Vizza was the hands down better QB and could not see Riley a very successful college QB like he was in HS. If he was that great I am sure he would have been redshirted. I mean he was also recruited as a WR at UT as well so it is possible he may not be viewed as best fit for a college QB. But then again what the hell do I know.

It was a short-sighted panic move and his excuse was possibly the most discouraging thing I've ever heard during the Dodge era.

I don't know what left me more speechless tonight, the 42 points in the first half, Riley playing, Dodge's comments about the KSU game, or the comment tonight that we were short on WR's so he decided to burn the redshirt.

yes....i talked to one of the football players last night....he told me riley's redshirt was coming off on the tulsa game becuase he is in some packages as a reciever that that he would most likely play....so not a big suprize to me....i was happy he was in thier....seemed to be only one on our team faster then the Tulsa guys...

yes....i talked to one of the football players last night....he told me riley's redshirt was coming off on the tulsa game becuase he is in some packages as a reciever that that he would most likely play....so not a big suprize to me....i was happy he was in thier....seemed to be only one on our team faster then the Tulsa guys...

Thanks! I was noticing his speed, but hesitated to mention it (too cheerful sounding?). I also noticed Alex Lott seems noticeably faster than most of our players. Whatever we can do to get our best and fastest players on the field, I'm in favor of it.

You never know, maybe Todge wants to get a little crazy and have 2 really athletic QBs at the same time...Riley hands off to Vizza, who runs or can pass...Vizza passes to Riley...one blocks for the other...doesn't seem like his cup of tea, but you never know. And it would sure as hell be fun to watch.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Maybe it's because it is 3:something in the morning and I can't sleep, but I will try to defend the decision. The kid plainly has more get up and go than most of the other players. We need all of that we can get.

As for the rest: let's see, the defense need to learn to tackle, cover and fight off blocks. On the offensive side, we run too many plays where there are not blockers in the right places. And finally, for the special teams, CATCH the ball; there just is no room for error there.

Was that the #1 team in the nation in white? No, it was Tulsa. That display tonight was an alarming embarrassment. If this is what we're putting out there, I'd rather they shut it down. This whole thing about the stadium is a pile of crap. Take that money and invest in a coaching staff.

I don't expect this to be too long of a thread because Smitty summed up EXACTLY my thoughts on the situation...and probably many others as well. I'm going to defer to Coach Dodge on what's best for the team because he knows a helluva lot better than little ol' me, but as far as I'm concerned, YIKES! We could have had Riley to QB us for 2 years and now he'll be the QB for one year (assuming Vizza plays all 4 years) ... just because we need a WR!?!? We need to save his talent for when we have a solid football team w/key contributors at important positions!

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME??? THAT was the reasoning???? Hell, we have about 50 DAMN RECEIVERS on this team!!??? :angry:

Yes, clearly a panic move by an inexperienced coach.

Folks, we are in BIG TROUBLE here!!!

Guys, honestly it was a surprising move. When he got that reverse everyone around me was screaming and going crazy because it looked like he scored and it looked like we actually had some speed on the field. Then my brother says the unthinkable, "hey, that was Riley." Instantly all of us were quite. It was like some one had taken away our 2008 Christmas. But tell me if I'm wrong, the highlight of the night was getting excited when #11 came into the game. Dodge needs players on the field. Dodge needs guys out there who don't know how to lose. Riley is one of those guys. I watched Riley after the game. Following the alma mater another player came up to him to give him a five and probably say "good game." He didn't return the favor. He was very upset and I needed to see that. I want those guys on the field.

People.......People...... This was for TV and the Newspapers......It gave them something to talk about. TD excuse is BS. We have plenty of good receivers on the sidelines that can make an impact. Desmond Brigham from Caddo Mills, Kenny Barrett from Mart, and the walk-on Chase Baine from Lake Dallas(three TDS in the spring games).

IT was poor decision for PR.

As for his play last night. Any of the three above could have done the same when you have special plays in the O being called for ya.

I guess I'll upset the apple cart here. I was excited to see Riley on the field. We need the best players on the field, and if that means putting a guy that was recruited to UT as a WR, who has speed and great hands into the game as a freshman then I'm all for it. As a freshman he had an impact on the game. Maybe Dodge thinks he can get another QB to come in this year, if they're not looking at the Coach's son standing in front of them for the next 4 years. No one is critisizing Dodge for playing 4 freshman on Defense. We're thin there and need folks, who can play, to step up. Offense is no different at this point. We're not a Big 12 school with the luxury of having all of our freshman redshirt. Hopefully some day we'll get there, but right now we need to play people who can make an impact. Riley did that.

I guess I'll upset the apple cart here. I was excited to see Riley on the field. We need the best players on the field, and if that means putting a guy that was recruited to UT as a WR, who has speed and great hands into the game as a freshman then I'm all for it. As a freshman he had an impact on the game. Maybe Dodge thinks he can get another QB to come in this year, if they're not looking at the Coach's son standing in front of them for the next 4 years. No one is critisizing Dodge for playing 4 freshman on Defense. We're thin there and need folks, who can play, to step up. Offense is no different at this point. We're not a Big 12 school with the luxury of having all of our freshman redshirt. Hopefully some day we'll get there, but right now we need to play people who can make an impact. Riley did that.

Amen, Hatter. Most of the posters on here sound like Ranger Management ( this year doesn't matter let's play for five years from now ).

I am one who is looking down the road. I do not believe that Riley playing this year will make any real difference in our won-lost record. We simply do not have the talent -or experience - around him for that to be the case. Four years from now having him available to play QB when we have a more talented - and experienced - team might make a huge difference. It is a moot point now, though isn't it? I will go back to my comment on a different thread. This might tell us how long Daddy Dodge plans on being in Denton.