Dmn Gmae Coverage

KRAM1

OK, I know we discussed this a bit recently, but I may now be leaning towrd the camp that thinks the DMN is intentionally snubbing UNT. The coverage of our game with K-St. this morning was on page 7CC of the sports section Below the fold and UNDER three articles on high school football! It was just a line by Vito out of his blog I think. Even Texas State made the college football pages on page 5CC.

This is just not right. But, UNT did lose by a wide margin...maybe we are lucky the story was buried. No, this is simply a real slight...win-lose-draw UNT is a LARGE Metroplex University with many many alums in the DMN readership area. It is areal shame. But, does anyone think anyone of any authority from the University and Athletic Dept. will call the DMN and ask "What's Up" with the lame coverage? Why does UNT get only stuff by Vito from the Record-Chronicle? I know Belo owns both papers and I know the readership of both is in decline, and I know the papers are cutting staff, but this is a bit much.

Anyone else notice the slight this morning????? Just wondering. :angry:

Edited by KRAM1

I got so worked up over the lousy coverage by the DMN that I couldn't even spell "GAME" in the title above...since I am not a master of working this site...can one of the admins FIX the spelling in the title of this topic? Please? Thank you..... :rolleyes:

I got so worked up over the lousy coverage by the DMN that I couldn't even spell "GAME" in the title above...since I am not a master of working this site...can one of the admins FIX the spelling in the title of this topic? Please? Thank you..... :rolleyes:

If you are upset about the DMN, then you do not want to read the DRC. Brett starts out with UNT opening with a big 12 teams, 7 out of the last 10 years, and losing 329-33.

Not that I am a big fan of the DaMN, but let's try our best to be honest among ourselves, UNT is not in Dallas and is not DaMNs home team. In fact yesterday we got exactly the same coverage in terms of space which TCU got though the placement of the TCU story was better; TCU is not DaMNs home team either.

Make no mistake about it, DaMNs home team is SMU. The thing about the DaMN is that the BigXII gets more coverage than SMU, which probably rankles the SMU faithful but who cares about that.

We are not the DaMNs home team and the publicity value of the hiring of TD is long gone, yesterday's news if you will, and in fact has been replaced by the publicity value of the hiring of June Jones. Our coverage in the DaMN will increase with success on the field, as it did a few years ago, and nothing else will increase it.

So UNT has more alums in Dallas than SMU. So what? How many care? And SMU has more who contribute big money to their program.

If you were in charge of DaMN marketing, and the allocation of space in the sports section, you would make the same decisions.

OK, I know we discussed this a bit recently, but I may now be leaning towrd the camp that thinks the DMN is intentionally snubbing UNT. The coverage of our game with K-St. this morning was on page 7CC of the sports section Below the fold and UNDER three articles on high school football! It was just a line by Vito out of his blog I think. Even Texas State made the college football pages on page 5CC.

This is just not right. But, UNT did lose by a wide margin...maybe we are lucky the story was buried. No, this is simply a real slight...win-lose-draw UNT is a LARGE Metroplex University with many many alums in the DMN readership area. It is areal shame. But, does anyone think anyone of any authority from the University and Athletic Dept. will call the DMN and ask "What's Up" with the lame coverage? Why does UNT get only stuff by Vito from the Record-Chronicle? I know Belo owns both papers and I know the readership of both is in decline, and I know the papers are cutting staff, but this is a bit much.

Ya, I logged in this morning to post about the same message. Yes, we struggled yesterday greatly in many areas, but our coverage should not be in the high school section in my opinion. This kind of placement and coverage only fuels the negative perception of many fair weather fans and non-supporters of UNT. Once again our program must climb out of this perception and win some games. I have to admit that sometimes it's hard to be an all-weather fan when you watch the team you love struggle...but it's so worth it. I'd rather live and die by each play and be on the edge of my seat than take the easy road and cheer for a team that is expected to win every game. It's not that I don't want the Mean Green to win, because I absolutely do...sticking with them through the tough times makes it so worth it when they turn this program around. Next week's game is obviously an important game to turn the momentum around and for our team to improve. Let's all do our part and be there and be on the edge of our seats!!! See you there.

The economic reality is that the DMN is going to use the DRC for all of its UNT coverage forever. If they had a paper in Fort Worth, the same situation would apply to TCU coverage. The owners are not going to pay to have two reporters sitting next to each other in the press box writing up the same game for different papers. On top of that, there's no way the tiny DRC could afford to send its guy to away games on its own dime just to serve its own small number of readers. It's just not going to happen. It's also an undeniable fact of life that SMU is the DMN's hometown team.

Regarding the KSU coverage, my guess is if this program generates some electricity, it will get higher profile coverage on occasion; the DMN made a very big deal out of Dodge's hiring, for example, bringing in one of the DMN star columnists, as I recall, to handle the big section front story. But the record since then does nothing to bring about a repeat of such attention. If UNT had hung tough with KSU, it would have gotten better play; if we had beaten them, it would have made the section front. Unfortunately, for UNT to get blown out by a higher profile program is, by any definition, not hot news. The only way to change that is to change the game outcomes, which is a still a work in progress.

Here is what I suggest - quit buying and reading the DMN. When the Hogs left the SWC, they did the same thing to their stories and still do. Years ago I decided to quit reading it, and it doesn't get me worked up anymore. The reality as someone mentioned above is we are not their team in Dallas. They are going to do what they do and really only short of us winning all of our games, they are not going to change. Besides, virtually the same stories that are in the DMN are in the DRC and the DRC is cheaper.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

The newspaper industry across the country is in a bind financially, the DMN for the amount of cutbacks they have had in the past 2-3 years does a pretty decent job of covering the 5th major media market in the country. SMU is in their backyard, and any good news/sports director knows you give 1st crack to the team in your own backyard, especially with a new high profile coach. If we remember they did make TD a front page story above the fold. If our economy wasn't in the crapper, the paper wouldn't rely only on Brett's fine work in the DRC and it would have more extensive coverage. As a NT alum, I hate to call a spade a spade, but this is a losing program. Granted, things could get better, but until they are - none of us should whine about not having a full page in the DMN about getting murdered in a game that is not even on television.

I also don't want people to blame the media as a whole for ignoring the program either. NT does get coverage, even in Dallas. Yesterday we had George on the Ticket for a full segment to look at the K-State game, and we referenced it all afternoon. During the week Jub mentions the program on his show too. Granted it isn't always taken seriously by others, but in their defense there is a good reason for that.

Edited by Green Guy Bass

Yeah, I agree. The coverage the DMN gave the game is pitiful. But at this point, I think the title thread should be "Dmn Coverage, Pitiful!" & make it an overall topic. The paper is now .75 cents a day instead of .50, the staff cutbacks are getting crazy & the sports section is getting smaller & smaller. Trust me, we're not the only ones getting shafted. The Texas Rangers have been in the middle of the paper with half-ass summaries & they've been the only game in town going for months. The problem is the shorter & less informed their articles get, the more people choose to get updates on the Internet & then they have to do more cuts & then more people go to the Internet ... and well, you get the idea.

If our economy wasn't in the crapper, the paper wouldn't rely only on Brett's fine work in the DRC and it would have more extensive coverage.

Ever since Belo acquired the DRC the DMN has used the DRC UNT beat writer for its Mean Green coverage. Even in the dot.com boom that was the case. I have no problem with that. That is just smart business. If you haven't noticed, the DMN barely has any college writers any more. There are no longer beat reporters assigned exclusively to UT, A&M, Tech and Oklahoma (as there was as recently as last season). Those writers are gone and have been replaced with Chuck Carlton covering the entire Big 12 by himself.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro