I don't know if this annoys anyone else, but for these reasons...

1) UNT Alumni have (pretty much) the same degree as one another

2) Repeated misuse of different forms of the same word by that group of people belies a shortcoming in our school's ability to pass on basic linguistic skills

3) That same repeated misuse by our classmates opens us up for unnecessary ridicule

...I'm finally putting this out there.

Male graduate-alumnus

Group of male graduates-alumni

Female graduate-alumna

Group of female graduates-alumnae

Group of male and female graduates-alumni

It doesn't bother me as much on a message board, since it's chock-full of typos, abbreviations, whatever. But every time I see an article quoting, or written by, one of our graduates misusing it, I cringe. A woman or man referring to themselves as "an alumni" begs the question, "How many are you?", with half of an expectation that the response will be, "We are...Leeeegiioonnnnn."

The shortening to "alum" really doesn't bother me, because it's a widely accepted abbreviation/simplification. "An alum" or "our alums" is perfectly sufficient due to wide usage. "I am an alumni" is also widely used, but is as impressive in print articles as "I is a good student." Even the latter is often edited to make the subject look more educated, but for some reason publishing professionals let the usage of the forms of "alumnus" run interchangeably.

Though I'm fully expecting jokes about it on here for now, PLEASE, when "professionally" writing something for the world to see, or when giving an interview, for the betterment of our University, either use the word properly or shorten it to "alum". Those of us (from UNT) who know the difference will thank you, and outsiders who know the difference won't laugh at our constant oversight regarding this word.

O.K., if we are on this line of subject, what's up with folks not being able to say the Pledge of Alligence properly? THERE IS NO COMMA BETWEEN "one Nation Under God". STOP PAUSING and continue for goodness sakes. Drives me nuts that folks what to say..."one Nation...pause...Under God"...IT IS "one Nation Under God"...no comma, no pause. OK, I feel better now.

Just like it is not a SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX at the bank. It is a SAFE DEPOSIT BOX.

Whew...I feel so much better now. The GMG.com board is actually theraputic! :lol:

Which begs the question how can a door be ajar? Along these lines of English screw ups is the word impressed. To say that you were impressed by someone merely means that they made an impression on you, whether good or bad. Also, you never graduate from college--you were graduated from college ( the college or university does the graduating, not you).

Which begs the question how can a door be ajar? Along these lines of English screw ups is the word impressed. To say that you were impressed by someone merely means that they made an impression on you, whether good or bad. Also, you never graduate from college--you were graduated from college ( the college or university does the graduating, not you).

and let's not forget: there is no such thing as a "first annual" anything. Either it's the first event or it's an annual event (2nd, 5th, 20th...) but it can't be both.

Yah, that's another one that bothers me. Along with misuse of homophones, apostrophes, and mistaking "have" and "of" (should have/of) or "in" and "and" (one in a half feet?).

Guys being guys, being corrected by women it is always the same.