Pardon Walks On At Smu

KRAM1

Folks, what's up with this...UNT ex-linebacker Justin Padron has enrolled at SMU and is a walk-on with the football team according to SMU ass't coach Tim Hundley.

Thought he told Dodge he was giving up football due to complicationd from diabetes?????? So, what's the story here? This is strange and does not make sense to me. Do I assume he has to sit out a year or was the diabetes story a way around the "wait"? I am really confused here. Why in the heck leave UNT for SMU UNLESS there is something much more to the story?

Any insights out there in GMG.com land?

We were up there Tuesday with a co-worker/ SMU Alum to watch practice and heard about this. From what I was told, I dont think Padron will be working out all year, even in the spring. I guessed that was because of medical issues or transfer rules, but I wasnt sure? His name wasnt on a locker... I know that much. I really hope things work out for him there. There was another guy (a JUCO DB - McElroy) who also just joined the program and was great to talk to. June Jones is going after the skilled position guys first, kinda like Todd Dodge did with NT. Makes me wonder what the recruiting battles will shape up for next season??? Seems strange going to another schools practices, but we arent allowed to attend the ones in Denton and SMU is close to us.

Good luck Justin... hope all goes well.

GMG!!!

Fentriss, Tomlin, Russo, Padron...are we going to lose our pipeline?

What pipeline? Who from SLC has played for UNT or is left, besides Riley?

As far as Padron's transfer to Smut? Smut?, please, anywhere but Smut; have some self-respect. Just because he couldn't make it at NT does he have to lower himself to that level??

Fentriss, Tomlin, Russo, Padron...are we going to lose our pipeline?

Fentriss: injured knee that didn't respond and gave up football.

Tomlin: went to A&M and gave up football

Russo: still at North Texas

Padron: left due to issues with diabetes, will walk-on at SMU to play with his brother.

Lose our pipeline? I see two that aren't playing anymore, one that gave up football but then decided to walk-on to potentially play with his brother and friends and one that is still at NT, Kyle Russo.

Don't forget about TJ Culberson and current players Nick Leppo, Jared Acton and Riley Dodge. It is also reported that Chris Brainard will join the team in the spring.

Fentriss: injured knee that didn't respond and gave up football.

Tomlin: went to A&M and gave up football

Russo: still at North Texas

Padron: left due to issues with diabetes, will walk-on at SMU to play with his brother.

Lose our pipeline? I see two that aren't playing anymore, one that gave up football but then decided to walk-on to potentially play with his brother and friends and one that is still at NT, Kyle Russo.

Don't forget about TJ Culberson and current players Nick Leppo, Jared Acton and Riley Dodge. It is also reported that Chris Brainard will join the team in the spring.

Not saying we've lost the pipeline already, just find it coincidental that so many have left. Plus, over half my staff is Carroll students, so I hear things. They may be rumors, but in the past most of them have been true. Don't be surprised if we hear about another former SLC player leaving the team. Not saying it will happen, just saying that I wouldn't be surprised.

Not saying we've lost the pipeline already, just find it coincidental that so many have left. Plus, over half my staff is Carroll students, so I hear things. They may be rumors, but in the past most of them have been true. Don't be surprised if we hear about another former SLC player leaving the team. Not saying it will happen, just saying that I wouldn't be surprised.

all we pretty much have left is Dodge, Russo, and Johnson.

What about the best SLC players that didn't really even consider UNT?

2008 Class

Blake Cantu - Oregon

Tre Newton - Texas

Jake Jackson - Baylor

Sam Schwartzstein - Stanford

2009 Class

Brayden Burnett - Missouri

Kyle Padron - SMU - (I guess this one's excusable if only it wasn't SMUt)

I don't know that we necessarily had a pipeline to SLC in the first place. In fact, I think it's the exact opposite. Players that receive very little FCS interest seem to find their way to Denton and are given a legitimate chance to continue their football careers because of their association with SLC and Todd Dodge.

Having said that, I hope all the SLC players on the UNT roster have terrific college careers and make the other schools regret not giving them more serious attention.

So what is the big deal here? Padron wanted to be with his brother

so give him your blessing and let him go. So what if his school of

choice is $mu? I hope things work out for him.

Remeber when J.J. Johnson's brother transfered from $mu to

North Texas? Kids change their minds. Look at all the transfers

that have come to North Texas.

Does Padron's transfer dampen recruiting SLC? No, not at all.

Does Padron's transfer dampen recruting Dallas, or the state

of Texas? No, not one bit.

Like I said, give Padron your blessings, wish him the best,

and send him on his way.

So what is the big deal here? Padron wanted to be with his brother

so give him your blessing and let him go. So what if his school of

choice is $mu? I hope things work out for him.

Remeber when J.J. Johnson's brother transfered from $mu to

North Texas? Kids change their minds. Look at all the transfers

that have come to North Texas.

Does Padron's transfer dampen recruiting SLC? No, not at all.

Does Padron's transfer dampen recruting Dallas, or the state

of Texas? No, not one bit.

Like I said, give Padron your blessings, wish him the best,

and send him on his way.

I think the general consensus is that it appears deception was involved.

I don't know Justin Pardon. And if he made a mistake, and really wanted to go to SMU, that's fine. Kids make mistakes. But as Gangreen says, to drop out of North Texas, not just quit football, but leave the University because of health issues, and then re emerge as a walk-on 30 miles away, sounds less than honest.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

Send money to help build a new stadium

GO MEAN GREEN