1100 And Counting

UNTflyer

I ran into a worker at Target in Lewisville earlier who noticed my UNT shirt and asked if I went there as she is a student. I told her that I graduated and she asked about my major and job and stuff. I was sure to tell her that if there is a vote this semester she should vote for the stadium fee. She asked why and I explained why and she seemed on board even though she said she had never been to a game. I told her to go to some games as they are fun, but also to see what a crappy stadium Fouts is. I told her to tell her friends, so hopefully that will result in a few more votes for the good guys.

We now have over 1100 members in "Students for a New Stadium"

Not bad for being summer time and not really having a lot of information yet.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26119370759

Flyer, Here is some info that I found on facebook, and I assume is one of your replies to a question:

"Let me tell you... as a booster club member, I can assure you that the other MGC boosters CAN'T WAIT to give money to this stadium. They've been waiting for years for this thing. But put yourself in their position. Would you donate $500, or $1,000, or $25,000 to a building project if you weren't certain that the students will contribute their portion? The boosters WILL be there if the students approve the stadium."

So you actually know this? You have had current, former, or non-members tell you they are withholding donations because they are not certain the students will contribute? I have had a couple tell me that unless things improve this year, they will spend their sports dollar somewhere else or if they do not see some improvement in the way they are treated by the athletic dept., they will not donate. I have not heard one person say their donation is dependent upon the student vote. I think you are being a little misleading in promising that donors will come around if students vote in favor of the stadium. Before Fry, it was get the program to the big time, and the donors will come. Well Fry came, we upset some people (Tenn.), were even ranked once or twice, and nothing happened except that Fry went to Iowa and led them to the Rose Bowl. We won conference championships, and these donors who "can't wait" did not show up. Then, it was fire Dickey, and the donors who "can't wait" will get behind the program. Now, you are posting info concerning what donors will do to students that you cannot prove or deliver. Why are the donors waiting until now?

You know, and I believe you have stated, that misinformation helped a similar vote fail in 2002. Yet, you have consistently said that an announcement on the stadium is coming soon, and things are going on behind the scenes. When, and from whom? What is going on except we may have some plans or drawings. To say or imply that somebody is keeping $25,000 waiting for a positive student vote is misleading. I would appreciate that you provide some facts to back up your statements. If you have signed a letter of confidentiallity with the athletic department, just let us know.

Flyer, Here is some info that I found on facebook, and I assume is one of your replies to a question:

"Let me tell you... as a booster club member, I can assure you that the other MGC boosters CAN'T WAIT to give money to this stadium. They've been waiting for years for this thing. But put yourself in their position. Would you donate $500, or $1,000, or $25,000 to a building project if you weren't certain that the students will contribute their portion? The boosters WILL be there if the students approve the stadium."

So you actually know this? You have had current, former, or non-members tell you they are withholding donations because they are not certain the students will contribute? I have had a couple tell me that unless things improve this year, they will spend their sports dollar somewhere else or if they do not see some improvement in the way they are treated by the athletic dept., they will not donate. I have not heard one person say their donation is dependent upon the student vote. I think you are being a little misleading in promising that donors will come around if students vote in favor of the stadium. Before Fry, it was get the program to the big time, and the donors will come. Well Fry came, we upset some people (Tenn.), were even ranked once or twice, and nothing happened except that Fry went to Iowa and led them to the Rose Bowl. We won conference championships, and these donors who "can't wait" did not show up. Then, it was fire Dickey, and the donors who "can't wait" will get behind the program. Now, you are posting info concerning what donors will do to students that you cannot prove or deliver. Why are the donors waiting until now?

You know, and I believe you have stated, that misinformation helped a similar vote fail in 2002. Yet, you have consistently said that an announcement on the stadium is coming soon, and things are going on behind the scenes. When, and from whom? What is going on except we may have some plans or drawings. To say or imply that somebody is keeping $25,000 waiting for a positive student vote is misleading. I would appreciate that you provide some facts to back up your statements. If you have signed a letter of confidentiallity with the athletic department, just let us know.

Many potential stadium donors have not donated and will not donate to a new stadium yet because they simply have not been asked to yet. And they will not be asked until a student vote passes, and the Prez, BOR, and State sign off on the project. Only then will minor donors be asked. Yes, many alums/donors are getting tired of waiting and frustrated, and yes, many won't give until after the students affirm their vote and the project moves forward.

Many potential stadium donors have not donated and will not donate to a new stadium yet because they simply have not been asked to yet. And they will not be asked until a student vote passes, and the Prez, BOR, and State sign off on the project. Only then will minor donors be asked. Yes, many alums/donors are getting tired of waiting and frustrated, and yes, many won't give until after the students affirm their vote and the project moves forward.

If what you say is true, then I doubt that those who have not donated or not been asked would be enough to make a dent in the cost of a new stadium.

I never claimed that I know someone holding back a $25,000 donation until the student vote. I merely said that I know MGC donors who can't wait to donate to the stadium, and then posed the question: Would you donate $25,000 to a building project if you weren't certain the students would approve it? (i.e., the project never gets off the ground).