Untaa - Pregame Party

UNTflyer

The E portion for EXES is scheduled to be completely removed from all references by 1/1/09---so don't get used to it.

I hope people are discouraged from abbreviating North Texas Alumni Association 'cause NTAA sounds like an Alcoholics Anonymous chapter.

Rick, is there anyway in hell getting turned away from practice is going to make less of a fan? You did use the word implied, meaning not sure?

Do casual fans that don't live across the streets go to practice anyways? I mean is this really a situation where fans get mad enough to quit buying tickets? Or on the flip side do open practices increase ticket sales?

Just playing with you, you seemed dramatic. I do understand the inconvenience and the cost of gas, and the bad taste that someone can leave in your mouth if they are blatantly rude and condescending as they tell you to leave a practice.

Tony

I don't know many CASUAL fans who buy season tickets to North Texas, do you?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Y'all may as well give it up trying to explain the practice issue to some of these people. Until one of them drives an hour and a half up to attend one that was implied as open to attend by officials, and then rudely thrown out, they will never understand. It's sort of like when several point out an issue over customer service. Countless individuals, most who I know personally, experience the same thing over several years in dealing with one individual, all sharing a common experience, but at different times. So it's obvious it's happening and happening to our members of the Mean Green Nation. Yet, there's always a particular group of individuals who posts from some far away place and rarely makes it to Denton to experience this themselves, comes on here and types "Well, I don't understand what everyone is complaining about, I spoke to this person on the phone one time and they were as sweet as can be!".

So just give it up. These people don't understand, and never will. It's been explained 50 times already since Thursday, not to even include the several weeks of discussion last year to no avail. Obviously we have all the fans and support we need right now. <_<

Rick

I generally enjoy your posts, you often have great insight about UNT sports, but have you ever thought that maybe part of this is on you.

I generally enjoy your posts, you often have great insight about UNT sports, but have you ever thought that maybe part of this is on you.

Yes, of course. I should have known all along. That, everytime I and someone I know personally is reminded that they don't matter that it's our fault, and mostly mine.

As 1999 told someone else, I don't want to ever read of you complaining about anything at North Texas, ever again. It's all perfectly just fine, especially those 15,000 empty seats we will average this fall.

Unbelievable?????!

Rick

I don't know many casual fans who buy season tickets to North Texas, do you? But if there was just a casual fan who happened to show up out of a sudden interest that day and was told "I don't care what the athletic department or the newspapers said, you need to leave, right now!", I think the odds would favor that causual fan to become "less of a fan".

And what's "less of a fan"? A season ticket holder frustrated enough to not buy season tickets? A season ticket holder and Donor frustrated enough not to donate $4,000 like the year before? Because I know two persons who type on this board who are at that point, and I'm not far from it myself. Or is "les of a fan" someone frustrated just to the point to not care anymore enough to stop WANTING to attend practices, stop wanting to read up on their favorites teams, stop buying merchandise and becomse one who just basically shows up on game day then leaves? I'm not sure? Also, I'll admit it, I am dramatic because I'm passionate about the Mean Green and always will be. Seems we sure could use more dramatic, passionate fans concerned about the Mean Green during this time right now?

"Less of a fan" seems to vary in my oppinion. My question is, can we afford a single one? 15,000 consistent empty seats on game days tells me no. It may tell you something entirely different, but it tells me we can't afford it.

Rick

Not meaning to get you rolling.

Parts of my group are casual fans, and most my group was at some point. But between the tailgating and the games many have moved up the scale into the hardcore arena. As cheap as season tickets were it was easy to talk people in to coming for a year in hopes that it would get them hooked. I think blatant mistreatment or disrespect can cause people to stop coming, but practice open or closed when you know that it may be closed is not a sky is falling problem. I am for whatever Dodge wants as far as practice goes.

I looked it up we averaged 17734 last year, including that crappy weather game after Thanksgiving. Don't sell those 2,734 people short, plus anytime we go over 20,000 I feel we are above capacity.

2007 Football Average Attendance

In 2006 we were 15,650

In 2005 we were 16,446

In 2004 we were Can't find

In 2003 we were 18,694

Not meaning to get you rolling.

Parts of my group are casual fans, and most my group was at some point. But between the tailgating and the games many have moved up the scale into the hardcore arena. As cheap as season tickets were it was easy to talk people in to coming for a year in hopes that it would get them hooked. I think blatant mistreatment or disrespect can cause people to stop coming, but practice open or closed when you know that it may be closed is not a sky is falling problem. I am for whatever Dodge wants as far as practice goes.

I looked it up we averaged 17734 last year, including that crappy weather game after Thanksgiving. Don't sell those 2,734 people short, plus anytime we go over 20,000 I feel we are above capacity.

2007 Football Average Attendance

In 2006 we were 15,650

In 2005 we were 16,446

In 2004 we were Can't find

In 2003 we were 18,694

What does any of this have to do with the confusion laid on the faithful Mean Green fans during two-a-day practices by our athletic department?

Amazingly, for a person who typed with great passion here last year about the poor customer service thrown down your way out in the parking lot you now seem pretty willing to discredit my and others concerns here now?

But hey, we have everything in place and all the fans and support needed to get to that next level. If it's confusion like this over a simple practice schedule that invokes people who DO work for this university to talk to donors as if they were trash then I'm sorry I even said a thing about it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

What does any of this have to do with the confusion laid on the faithful Mean Green fans during two-a-day practices by our athletic department?

Amazingly, for a person who typed a novel here last year about the poor customer service thrown down your way out in the parking lot you now seem pretty willing to discredit my and others concerns here now?

But hey, we have everything in place and all the fans and support needed to get to that next level. If it's confusion like this over a simple practice schedule that invokes people who DO work for this university to talk to donors as if they were trash then I'm sorry I even said a thing about it.

Rick

I don't know you threw out the 15,000 empty seats, and that you were driving to an practice that was implied to be open.

It reads like you took a risk and then you were pissed that it did not work out in your favor. Should the communication between the AD and Fans be better yes, hell yes. Should MM be allowed near the public Hell no.

Maybe they can throw practice passes in with all season tickets in the mandatory donation sections for the practices/scrimmages that Dodge is OK with having open in the fall.

I paid for my parking pass to tailgate with my friends, to me that is the equivalent of you paying for a scrimmage pass only to find out when you show up they changed it to a closed scrimmage.

Is everything perfect at UNT no, not even close but I think things have been improving over all.

Is everything perfect at UNT no, not even close but I think things have been improving over all.

What has improved since November? The information about the stadium is still all a lie, Fans drive an hour plus to watch what they heard from the athletic department was an open practice, then turned away because it it closed. RV and his minions don't know their right hand from their left hand.

Sounds like typical AUGUST 2007 day at the UNT athletic department. Oh wait, that's rioght it's 2008 and NT is coming off a 2-10 season and one of the worst off season's in recent memory and the football coach, despite his open pleadings to the fan base (which is smaller than it should be), is doing everything he can to piss off the hard core fans, by not communicating with them. So you're right Tony, not everything is perfect at UNT and it's the same $hit, different day and year.

Brett Tulloss

What has improved since November? The information about the stadium is still all a lie, Fans drive an hour plus to watch what they heard from the athletic department was an open practice, then turned away because it it closed. RV and his minions don't know their right hand from their left hand.

Sounds like typical AUGUST 2007 day at the UNT athletic department. Oh wait, that's rioght it's 2008 and NT is coming off a 2-10 season and one of the worst off season's in recent memory and the football coach, despite his open pleadings to the fan base (which is smaller than it should be), is doing everything he can to piss off the hard core fans, by not communicating with them. So you're right Tony, not everything is perfect at UNT and it's the same $hit, different day and year.

Brett Tulloss

Why all the negativity?

Do I have to be Mister Happy and blow sunshine up everyones asses? I am no cheerleader but it is time to start coming together for the fall season.

I heard that fall practices were closed long a go. But still we push.

Off-season greats; we have Deloach back, we had one hell of a recruiting class! Sounds like the team is coming together. We have a kicker! The first game is in three weeks, the first home game is in less then a month. The Dodge ball offense should be really rolling this year. The school bought control of the hotel, and I do believe something will happen across the the street sooner then later. I am reading more about North Texas in the StarTelegram and Morning News then ever before, sounds like there is more merchandise in the stores in the DFW area then I ever remember. I know there is more.

Just trying to get up for the season!

Tony

I heard that fall practices were closed long a go. But still we push.

Of course you heard it was closed, long ago. Try around Saturday, August 11th, 2007 for first reference.

But still, even as of yesterday the teams local beat writer remarks in his blog. http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

Tonight's scrimmage is closed

2:26 PM Sat, Aug 09, 2008 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

I just got off the phone with a UNT assistant coach who told me that the first scrimmage of fall practice tonight will be closed to the public.

I was under the impression that workouts would be open to fans throughout the fall. I am still planning on attending to write for the DRC and Morning News. Check back on the blog later for updates from tonight's workout.

Rick

Of course you heard it was closed, long ago. Try around Saturday, August 11th, 2007 for first reference.

But still, even as of yesterday the teams local beat writer remarks in his blog. http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

Rick

I am not sure what the problem is, I remember the policy you remember the policy?

It would seem the source of confusion rests with Brett, or maybe he wants to to stir the pot some, maybe he is not happy with Troy Phillips coverage and seeming perks.

Edited by KingDL1

I am not sure what the problem is, I remember the policy you remember the policy?

No, there was no such policy to remember, especially on the OFFICIAL website, just as there isn't any now. The DRC printed the schedules all of that week prior to the scrimmage and only after Vitto tried to help the AD dept out by putting it out saturday morning of the scrimmage was it EVER printed that the scrimmage was closed, that I know of?

KingDL1

It would seem the source of confusion rests with Brett, or maybe he wants to to stir the pot some, maybe he is not happy with Troy Phillips coverage and seeming perks.

WTF?????? :blowup:

Rick

No, there was no such policy to remember, especially on the OFFICIAL website, just as there isn't any now. The DRC printed the schedules all of that week prior to the scrimmage and only after Vitto tried to help the AD dept out by putting it out saturday morning of the scrimmage was it EVER printed that the scrimmage was closed, that I know of?

KingDL1

WTF?????? :blowup:

Rick

Who printed the schedule? It seemed like the printed practice schedule was in Brett's article. Did DRC say practices were open or closed, did Brett just forget about last year? Did Todd trick him? What? Was Brett being responsible? Come on now! Someone should share the responsibility.

So you do or don't remember hearing that spring practice was open and fall practice was closed?

Edited by KingDL1

back on topic here folks...Way to Go Exes aka Alumni Association...this is a nice opportunity to "gather" before games and do some "visiting" prior to the game with other members of the Mean Green Nation. Lots of folks have "whinned", "complained" and been downright "ugly" in their posting regarding the Association doing nothing...well, as you can see (if you just open your eyes) that they staff and membership are really working to improve things and get "stuff" going. Nice job here...I hope lots of folks show up. One of the problems has been that when events are palnned, and advertised, and put in motion...very few people show up. Then the event is "dumped" fopr lack of interest, the the Association hears that it isn't doing anything. UGH! If you like this, and you want events to continue and things to get better...SHOW UP and support YOUR ALUMNI Association. No, you do not have to stay for hours and you can...and I recoomend that you do...visit the Mean Green Tailgate Village too before the games...great fun.

The make sure you are in your seat at Fouts BEFORE kick-oo! See you at Fouts. Well done Exes!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN.

"Can't" has never been the issue with UNT and it's fans...the issue has been and continues to be "will they"? I have often wondered why more students, faculty, alumni and fans don't show up for UNT athletic events and "Other" types of activities. It has puzzled me since I was an undergrad in the mid-late 60's. Lots of folks "could" have shown up, but rarely did they in large numbers".

But, as the old folks song indicstes, "the times they are a changing", and they are "a changing" fopr the good at UNT. Be part of the positive change-SHOW UP!

GO MEAN GREEN!

This is outside correct? From the way I read it, I take this to mean that it is on the concourse outside of the Super Pit on the corner of North Texas Blvd. and Highland Street which would be a great location to tailgate, watch games and have a few of the band as the march down Highland Street to Fouts prior to the game. Hang out up there and then follow the band into the stadium. Great idea and a pat on the back to the North Texas Exes Former Students Alumni Association Organization.

Rick,

Do you realize you are about to pass the 10,000 post mark? I think you should throw a party. We could sit around and argue about stupid crap that doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

You all should lay off FFR. He has earned the right the be pissed about things if he wants. I cant think of anyone who has been more active on behalf of the Mean Green without recieving a paycheck from the University.

We as fans can gripe all we want, but in the end, only two things really matter:

1. Winning football games leads to more fans, more money for the program, more exposure for UNT, and better recruits.

2. A true fan is like a good spouse. You may have your ups and down, but even in disagreements, your faithfulness is never in question.

Stick to your guns (or Talons), Rick.

Jody Guy '97

UNTLIFER, I believe that the concourse area is inside the Super Pit but before you get to the seating area. Other groups have had events in this area in the past and it worked our pretty well. Somebody with more information might post it here to make sure that we are clear on the location.

UNTLIFER, I believe that the concourse area is inside the Super Pit but before you get to the seating area. Other groups have had events in this area in the past and it worked our pretty well. Somebody with more information might post it here to make sure that we are clear on the location.

I believe the party will be outside of the building on the over-look pavillion area of the Super Pit, not in it.

• 2 weeks later...