Rv Talked To Us At Ra Traning Today

RV came in and talked to us about athletics today at our opening breakfast of RA traning....thier was about 200 people in attendence incluing about 150 students...talked about all sports and said we are #1 in Title IX in the country which is a great improvement over being second to last in 2001....and of course he talked about the new stadium and took students questions...one person asked how confident RV was about us having the stadium open by 2010....he said he is hoping to be playing in a new stadium by sometime in 2010 but it may not be ready when the season opens...ober all it was a good talk and the students seemed overwhelmingly FOR the stadium. I was glad to atleast see RV our thier and getting the word and correct facts out. he also said the fee increse would likely be to 8$/an hour....

Hope this stadium happens!

woo....post # 150!

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

one person asked how confident RV was about us having the stadium open by 2010....he said he is hoping to be playing in a new stadium by sometime in 2010 but it may not be ready when the season opens...ober all it was a good talk and the students seemed overwhelmingly FOR the stadium. I was glad to atleast see RV our thier and getting the word and correct facts out. he also said the fee increse would likely be to 8$/an hour....

Hope this stadium happens!

woo....post # 150!

September 24, 2010 is when we are scheduled to host Kansas State. I would hope it could be open for that.

What is the fee now? Did RV say if it would be a new dedicated athletics fee? Thanks for the info.

Edited by NT80

i think he said 8..but i could be wrong....its been a long day lof traning and im pooped...he didnt say if it was a new fee or just rasing the old fee....i also forgot to mention....RV said that whle he is AD here, no student will ever have to pay to get into any sporting event....even at the new stadium! i liked that even though ill probly be gone by the time itrs built!

$8 /Hr. X 15 hours= $120. per semester per FT student X 35,000 = $4,200,000. per semester X 2 = $8,400,000. per year. That would allow us to compete in D-1 with a budget roughly that of FAU but not FIU. We could live with that. It would also leave enough to eventually retire a $30,000,000. bond issue. The other $30,000,000. is still the biggest ?? and I'm worried that the Pres says it won't start till it's half funded. Does that mean half $ 30 million or all of it ?

We need $30 million donated or pledged. I think we can reasonably expect a sponsor for half of that, meaning alumni, MGC donors, and smaller sponsors need to make up the other half. I think we can do it, and it would be nice if we can get sponsors for the whole $30 million. I recall a sponsor price sheet saying stadium sponsorship would be $20 million and field sponsorship would be $10 million.

While some students are very vocal about their opposition to the stadium, I think a lot are quietly supportive. I suggested to Jeff that there should be halftime presentations at our October football games before the vote, and he should stand on the 50-yard line and ask the students to come out and vote for the stadium.

Being 4-2 going into that vote would be a huge plus.

Edited by UNTflyer

I think the best thing the Athletic Department can do is not shy away from questions from the student body. For the student vote for a fee increase to be successful, we must quash all rumors and incorrect information.

I think it is encouraging that the Resident Assistants seem to be behind this initiative. They can help encourage students to vote (hopefully for the fee).

In regards to a sponsor, who might that be? I mean, in this economy? I think it is going to be a challenge to find a sponsor until the economy rebounds, and shows some strong legs. I wish we had pushed harder for a sponsor during our championship years, when the economy was really hitting all 8 cylinders. Of course, if it were a mortgage company, i.e. Ameriquest or Countrywide, then what? Peterbilt Field would get attention on a lot of levels.