Proposed Return Of Baseball Program May Start By 2010

GabeGMG

I'm beginning to wonder if this stadium fee won't be a full-blown athletics fee.

I surely wouldnt be surprised if thats what it was. RV has always said that once the stadium is up his focus will be on baseball and I am sure he really has all the outlines ready to start the program...its just a matter of executing them which wouldnt start until the stadium is up. Things are starting to look brighter for UNT athletics.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The key is the stadium. There's enough money for the startup costs but where will they play? They've never had a stadium that I can recall. I saw them play a "home" game against Texas Tech at Reverchon Park in Dallas.

So, the baseball thing rears its head once again....can't understand why baseball over a much more cost efficient men's soccer program. Oh, well, any step forward, even a misguided one like men's baseball :rolleyes: is a good thing in my opinion. If men's baseball being reinstated helps get a new stadium and incresaed athletic fee then so be it.

I still recall the day they lied to us about "not" cutting the men's soccer program when the decision had already been made. A BAD DAY IN BLACKROCK that one was!

Could have sent me packing in my support for UNT, did for about a year or so, but just couldn't let it keep me from supporting and enjoying UNT and UNT athletics. I "got over it" pretty quickly...I suggest some others get over their "past problems" and help THEIR University move forward.

GO MEAN GREEN. What logo will be on the baseball caps???? :lol:

So, the baseball thing rears its head once again....can't understand why baseball over a much more cost efficient men's soccer program. Oh, well, any step forward, even a misguided one like men's baseball :rolleyes: is a good thing in my opinion. If men's baseball being reinstated helps get a new stadium and incresaed athletic fee then so be it.

I still recall the day they lied to us about "not" cutting the men's soccer program when the decision had already been made. A BAD DAY IN BLACKROCK that one was!

Could have sent me packing in my support for UNT, did for about a year or so, but just couldn't let it keep me from supporting and enjoying UNT and UNT athletics. I "got over it" pretty quickly...I suggest some others get over their "past problems" and help THEIR University move forward.

GO MEAN GREEN. What logo will be on the baseball caps???? :lol:

In my lifetime, I've endured probably 10 separate movements, where soccer nuts told us that their sport was the sport of the future here in America. It never happens. We have just seen how quickly Americans have gotten over Beckham......that furor lasted about 10 minutes. Thank God Americans recognize this sport for the borefest that it is.

In my lifetime, I've endured probably 10 separate movements, where soccer nuts told us that their sport was the sport of the future here in America. It never happens. We have just seen how quickly Americans have gotten over Beckham......that furor lasted about 10 minutes. Thank God Americans recognize this sport for the borefest that it is.

I find it hard to believe that people think that soccer is less interesting than baseball. I played high school baseball, and through those years thought soccer was awful, but since then I've really come to enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I think we need baseball first, but as a sport in general, soccer is pretty cool, you just have to give it a chance.

Baseball if my favorite sport hands down but I love soccer too....I am part Portuguese so that is where I think I get my love for it. Soccer is really a fun sport...its unfortunate that the MLS isnt as exciting yet however I think its gotten a lot better over the years. If you watch the World Cup, Euro Cup or like the high level European leagues its totally awesome to watch.

I find it hard to believe that people think that soccer is less interesting than baseball. I played high school baseball, and through those years thought soccer was awful, but since then I've really come to enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I think we need baseball first, but as a sport in general, soccer is pretty cool, you just have to give it a chance.

Matt...I'm just mainly giving my friend KRAM a hard time. If folks like soccer that is fine by me. And I have given it a chance---it just doesn't do much for me.

;)

By the way...Frisco Park was sold out when Beckham played there last weekend. Where ever he plays the home team is sold out. But, I do agree, that his "splash" has been less than expected by several folks (don't count me in that crowd. I felt like he would help, but would not make soccer in the US the sport it is in the majority of the rest of the world). You got to be honest and realistic about it, but he has made a positive impact on the game in the US.

US born players are getting much more of a "look" these days by the bigger European Clubs and there are many more US born players playing on 1st division clubs throughout Europe these days. Not as many in Central and South America, but operhaps that will come too over time. The North American game is not as well suited to the style of play in Central and South America. It is much more akin to the Europen style, so more US born players are given opportunities in Europe right now that Latin America.

If you watched any of Euro '08 recently you had to be impressed with the excitement generated in the games. Scoring was good, even for an American Football crowd who still thinks giving 6 points for a TD makes it high scoring, and many of the games featured some pretty "rough and tumble" play proving once again that soccer is definitely a contact sport.

There, I think I have successfully hijacked this baseball thread and turned it into a discussion of the merits of soccer once again. You guys are so easy! :lol:

By the way...Frisco Park was sold out when Beckham played there last weekend. Where ever he plays the home team is sold out. But, I do agree, that his "splash" has been less than expected by several folks (don't count me in that crowd. I felt like he would help, but would not make soccer in the US the sport it is in the majority of the rest of the world). You got to be honest and realistic about it, but he has made a positive impact on the game in the US.

US born players are getting much more of a "look" these days by the bigger European Clubs and there are many more US born players playing on 1st division clubs throughout Europe these days. Not as many in Central and South America, but operhaps that will come too over time. The North American game is not as well suited to the style of play in Central and South America. It is much more akin to the Europen style, so more US born players are given opportunities in Europe right now that Latin America.

If you watched any of Euro '08 recently you had to be impressed with the excitement generated in the games. Scoring was good, even for an American Football crowd who still thinks giving 6 points for a TD makes it high scoring, and many of the games featured some pretty "rough and tumble" play proving once again that soccer is definitely a contact sport.

There, I think I have successfully hijacked this baseball thread and turned it into a discussion of the merits of soccer once again. You guys are so easy! :lol:

There is only one ellipse in your entire post. I have decided you are a robot impostor sent to kill us all.

Baseball if my favorite sport hands down but I love soccer too....I am part Portuguese so that is where I think I get my love for it. Soccer is really a fun sport...its unfortunate that the MLS isnt as exciting yet however I think its gotten a lot better over the years. If you watch the World Cup, Euro Cup or like the high level European leagues its totally awesome to watch.

UNT needs baseball next, and the SBC is a very good baseball conference. Soccer is difficult to follow in that it is sort of like hockey in it's offensive flow. Several things must happen or a good drive gets killed too easily. Good passing and quick shots make it interesting but the overall pace of the game is very slow from one end to the other. I also think all the various leagues and players shifting teams and countries make soccer hard to build a loyalty to for fans.

• Downvote 1

UNT needs baseball next, and the SBC is a very good baseball conference. Soccer is difficult to follow in that it is sort of like hockey in it's offensive flow. Several things must happen or a good drive gets killed too easily. Good passing and quick shots make it interesting but the overall pace of the game is very slow from one end to the other. I also think all the various leagues and players shifting teams and countries make soccer hard to build a loyalty to for fans.

Baseball is ridiculously slow paced.

No other "major" sport in the world is as slow paced as baseball. No one who is even remotely interested in sports can deny that. Unless, of course, you are simply NUTS! :lol:

Dear Pakistan and India,

Cricket sucks and Kram thinks you're NUTS