Swstu

Dodge2007

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you better head to the hardware store to get the wood and nails.

T minus Five Years.

I have been watching SwTx for the last couple years and have noticed quite a bit going on for the good down there. I've always like the place and thought the atmosphere, education, the campus and the scenery was top notch. I have to admit, I'm not exicted about yet another D-1 school in Texas because of the strain on the recruting. Basically, it cuts in to our player pool but that is being selfish. I think that it's high time we start attracting kids from outside Texas anyway, a lot like OK does to Texas.

I say if you can pull it off, you deserve it. If your admin and BOR are ready to support it, GREAT! Welcome!

Also, it will just aggrevate SMUt and that's reason enough for me! Beat SMU....please!!!

Edited by GreenExes

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching SwTx for the last couple years and have noticed quite a bit going on for the good down there. I've always like the place and thought the atmosphere, education, the campus and the scenery was top notch. I have to admit, I'm not exicted about yet another D-1 school in Texas because of the strain on the recruting. Basically, it cuts in to our player pool but that is being selfish. I think that it's high time we start attracting kids from outside Texas anyway, a lot like OK does to Texas.

I say if you can pull it off, you deserve it. If your admin and BOR are ready to support it, GREAT! Welcome!

Thanks!

We just feel like it's time for our university to compete at the highest level. We have kind of "outgrown" the Southland Conference, as it has many schools that have student body pops of 6-10k. We are at just under 28k. That is quite a difference. Our football records haven't been great historically, but the school is still on a surge of pride after our great 2005 playoff run in the FCS playoffs. However, our women's basketball is #1 in our conference and close to a NCAA berth. Our men's B-ball team is decent, playing .500 ball in our new coach's 2nd season. Our baseball team is top notch and regularly knocks off ranked opponents and makes appearances in the NCAA tournament. Our academics have grown much more respected and nationally ranked in recent years.

Texas State is just more of a peer institution with schools like UNT and Troy than it is McNeese State or SFA. There are quite a few reasons why we want to move up, but that's the basic idea and I am glad that the vote passed with such great numbers. I'm looking forward to the changes that our Athletic Department will start in the next few years.

Edited by TxStBobcat

Plumm, did you know that before she became a personality on Hee Haw, Lulu appeared as a comic stripper at the old Club Athena on Greenville Avenue ? So maybe we're close to gettin' rid of Fouts ! :devil:

2-Fer Response Post

MG61, then I wonder if we can get ol' LuLu out of retirement just to help our cause?!?!? :lol:

Dodge 2007 posted:

Well put Plumm.

UNT should just quit if old SW Texas becomes more attrative to recruits and other conferences. God forbid. That would be a nail in the coffin.

D2007, all that lagniape in the post you responded to was about 99% facetious (or moreso silly non-sense, but whats new with that, eh)?:)

I still do defer to the below signature, especially the part as to what I (honestly) feel the revenues of just one "sold out" OOC game per football season in Denton could probably do for our athletic budget (not to even mention what 2 "sold out" OOC games could do per season in MG Country; hence, a reason many on this board would hope the initial capacity of our new football palace out at the Mean Green Village will be around the 35-40,000 seat range--no smaller. I'd hate to see us turn 5,000 or so traveling fans from UT, TAMU, OU, OSU, Iowa St, Texas Tech, Kentucky, LSU, etc, etc, etc, because we built our new stadium way too small. We cannot forget how many all of the Big 12 and SEC schools alums who reside in the North Texas Metroplex, either.

If the Sun Belt Conference is going to be as great as some on this board project, then we need to build our new stadium as if that league is going to have "lights out" success & growth, too. If we build it too small, then we will start setting low goals around MG Country &...

...I don't think that a good precedent for what the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board in Austin, Texas, says will be the future:

"2'nd Largest University in the Lone Star State!"

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Thanks!

We just feel like it's time for our university to compete at the highest level. We have kind of "outgrown" the Southland Conference, as it has many schools that have student body pops of 6-10k. We are at just under 28k. That is quite a difference. Our football records haven't been great historically, but the school is still on a surge of pride after our great 2005 playoff run in the FCS playoffs. However, our women's basketball is #1 in our conference and close to a NCAA berth. Our men's B-ball team is decent, playing .500 ball in our new coach's 2nd season. Our baseball team is top notch and regularly knocks off ranked opponents and makes appearances in the NCAA tournament. Our academics have grown much more respected and nationally ranked in recent years.

Texas State is just more of a peer institution with schools like UNT and Troy than it is McNeese State or SFA. There are quite a few reasons why we want to move up, but that's the basic idea and I am glad that the vote passed with such great numbers. I'm looking forward to the changes that our Athletic Department will start in the next few years.

Good luck to you guys from Cajun Country!!

I'm hoping that after the next conference realignment is over, the BOBCATS, MEAN GREEN, and the CAJUNS end up in the same league. That would be pretty cool.

What can you guys tell me about Fred Bleil? Do you think he was a good hire for us?

Football Announces Hiring of Fred Bleil as New DC

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-fo.../021808aaa.html

Feb. 18, 2008

SAN MARCOS - Texas State football coach Brad Wright announced the hiring of Fred Bleil as the Bobcats' new co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach on Monday.

Bleil, 58, comes to San Marcos after spending the 2007 season coaching linebackers at Tulane. The Green Wave led Conference-USA in rushing defense, allowing 132.6 yards per game, and finished fourth in total defensive yards allowed. Tulane was also second in first downs allowed and tied for third in the conference in sacks.

"We're really excited to get someone with his knowledge and experience here at Texas State," said Wright.

Bleil's will pair with co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach Kyle Tietz to prepare the Bobcats' weekly defensive game plan and will also call in the defensive plays on game day.

Before joining the Green Wave staff, Bleil was the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at North Texas in his second stint with the Mean Green. Bleil also spent two terms as the director of the Mean Green defense after leading one of the Big West's top units in 1997 and 1998. Under Bleil, North Texas finished in the top three in the conference in scoring defense in both years, and ranked second in the league in pass defense in 96. Two-time NFL Pro Bowler Brian Waters was an All-Big West selection for Bliel's Mean Green defense, as were three other North Texas players in that two-year span.

Between his times at North Texas, Bleil coached the secondary at San Diego State for eight seasons and the special teams for three. Under his direction, the Aztec secondary became a force in the Mountain West and across the nation. SDSU improved from 86th in the country in pass defense in 2002 to fourth in 2003. Aztec cornerbacks ranked first and second in the MWC in 2003 in passes defended and third for interceptions.

Bleil was also the defensive coordinator at New Mexico from 1992 to 1995. In four seasons with the Lobos, Bleil helped improve the defense from one of the worst in the nation to one of the best in the WAC.

Bleil served defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Utah State from 1986-91, and was the head coach at New Mexico Highlands from 1979 to 1982. He earned Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Coach of the Year honors when he led Highlands to the 1981 conference crown. He was also honored as the AFCA College Division Coach of the Year.

He played football at Northern Iowa in 1967 and went on to earn his degree at Westmar College in 1971. Bleil then added a master's degree to his resume in 1972 from Eastern New Mexico.

One question I posed on the BobCatFans.com board:

Separate Question:

I remember many here criticising the often discussed topic of TxTs going 1-A, many making fun of North Texas going to the lowly New Orleans Bowl and how poor the Sun Belt Conference was etc etc etc... And then after the Bobcats made it to the 1-AA playoffs, many saying how much better the playoff experience was than any Bowl Game experience could ever be. My question to you now that your students have voted for the increase to make the jump, and it appears evident the jump will happen down the road, is what's y'all's take on it now? Have attitudes changed?

Rick

Back when NT first went to the N.O. Bowl that board was getting their extreme giggles on the fact that NT was going with a losing record and were very critical of schools like us and ULM going 1-A and how they themselves should NEVER make the jump. Then, when North Texas beat the C-USA co Champions the next year on national tv the laughing came to an abrupt halt. Since then, and expecially when Bailiff took them to the 1-AA playoffs the criticism started up again and the cast of characters started again bagging on the mid major Bowl games and saying how much much better their 1-AA playoff game experience was than any bowl game could ever be. It's ironic now that their students and administration leadership have evidently forgotten about how great that game must have been?

Rick