Swstu

Dodge2007

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The university is not a democracy. The University BOR are charged with providing quality education at the same time staying in the black. There are rules mandated by the state as to how all of this is done. Someone has or hopefully will realize that a strong athletic program, especially football, is the best form of advertisement and makes the academics better in the process. The cost of education, fees, books, room and beer, is a business expense that will hopefully provide a greater return in the future. Students must decide if the cost is worth it, if not don't make the investment or spend your money where you think you can get a better return. I donate far more than $300/year to NT because I made some good business decisions and am giving some back.

Whatever happened to no taxation without representation? It’s absurd to think the students (who will bare the brunt of the costs) shouldn’t have a say on the fees. You would go nuts if your city council doubled your property taxes and didn’t have to be held accountable.

The best way to pay for the new stadium is to have the students vote to continue the fee for the health center to carry to the stadium. This will take care of the long-term dept on the stadium and keep fees the same.

If you want a new stadium so bad, then why don’t you start donating $300 year just like the kids at Texas State.

The BOR just recently raised fees and tuition without any student vote. Most Major universities mandate fees. Do you think uT and A&M ask for a student vote about Athletic Fees. :lol:

Edited by NT80

They are TSU. Have been since like...2002? Something like that?

They are Texas State @ San Marcos. Texas State is a system that includes SFA and SHSU. They can call themselves Texas State @ Huntsville or Texas State @ Nacogdoches any time they want to. San Macos just conveniently drops the @. We tried to get the name Texas State in the 70's but were told A$M had it reserved in case they ever wanted to change. They are the only Ag school in the country other than predominantly Black Florida A&M who is not a State ,i.e., Okla. State , LA. St. ,etc.

Officially, it's Texas State University-San Marcos. TSUSM. I think any school under the Texas State University System can use the name if they so choose. Example- Texas State University-Beaumont (Lamar U)

That is correct. However, unlike ULM & ULL, who must always use the city in the school name on uniforms, etc, I believe Texas State - San Marcos can drop the "San Marcos" as long as no other Texas State System school elects to use their Texas State - city name also.

That is correct. However, unlike ULM & ULL, who must always use the city in the school name on uniforms, etc, I believe Texas State - San Marcos can drop the "San Marcos" as long as no other Texas State System school elects to use their Texas State - city name also.

Stop reminding me! :P

Shof

Texas State? I sure that was pure speculation on their board as well a year or so ago.

UNT students need to vote on the stadium issue and see what happens with increased fees. Texas State is going to have to build onto to their existing stadium to get the D-1 minimum number for seats.

Some programs are at least going forward and not stuck in the mud or still pissing in waterless urinals.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp...14texstate.html

I thought the waterless urinals were supposed to be top-notch? Do you miss pissing in troughs and on walls? Come on man.

Im actually not opposed to TxState being Div 1A, I just don't think they have the money. We've played them more than any other team, however, so they'd be a natural fit in the Sun Belt. I'd much prefer them over South Alabama. Of course, this assumes that is even an option.

Edited by Eagle1855

Also, did anyone address the moratorium issue. I thought the NCAA was letting WKU in as the last school.

There is a freeze after WKU on moveups to 1-A until I believe 2011. Schools can start new 1-AA programs anytime. There is also talk of splitting DIII into Division 3 and 4 based on size.

The Green Hurd says "A University isn't a democracy"

Shaft replies: Its not a private enterprise either. No one is saying every fee is voted on, but in our big ol' publicly funded university we like to let the kiddies have a say in a few things.

The Green Blinders say "I give more than $300 per year"

Shaft blurts: Great. Now start giving an additional $300, just for the stadium. And no your season tickets and new hat doesn't count toward the stadium's $300.

Long-term financing can be handle through things like students fees, but the short-term/up front cash has to come from the alumni. The new stadium is going result in higher student fees; I think it would be smart of the University to get an extenstion on the Health Center fee now, to cover the long term debt, knowing their going to have to request an additional fee increase on the students later, once the stadium is actually built.

Edited by shaft

I tried , never got an answer... I thought the same thing.

WKU will be the last school to move to FBS for about 4 years. This is because they started the move before the NCAA put the moratorium in place.

Right now, TxSt is just getting everything in place for the move, when it goes through in approximately 2013 I believe. The school just voted to raise our athletic fees, in hopes that by the time it gets to be 2013, we will have approximately a $25M Athletic budget. We will begin building a new softball and baseball complex this summer. Renovations on our Football stadium will probably begin in a couple of years.

It has begun...

WKU will be the last school to move to FBS for about 4 years. This is because they started the move before the NCAA put the moratorium in place.

Right now, TxSt is just getting everything in place for the move, when it goes through in approximately 2013 I believe. The school just voted to raise our athletic fees, in hopes that by the time it gets to be 2013, we will have approximately a $25M Athletic budget. We will begin building a new softball and baseball complex this summer. Renovations on our Football stadium will probably begin in a couple of years.

It has begun...

All I know is this one thing--maybe two and who knows, maybe three:

If TxSt. becomes yet another school in a parade of schools who passes us by in our undying quest to hang onto Fouts Field till Lulu Roman of Hee Haw (love those syndicated shows) becomes a Farmer's Almanac nekid' centerfold, or if the the Battle of Armegeddon commences because of some dude in Venezuela who loves his oil or because we have a president (of our school) whose name is not Teddy, Calvin, George, Oglethorpe, Herbert, Franklin, John, etc,etc, etc, I will then throw up, throw up my hands in disgust, head out to California, look up Hollywood Director David "On The Far Side" Lynch (whose movies I watch when I need more balance in my life), ask Mr. Lynch if I can be in any of his movies (any part) as long as Laura Dern (who is probably getting ready to have her first face-lift) is involved and quietly put college football in my past. . :surrender::offtopic::whip:

OK, folks, pardon me, its time to take the meds.:)

in our undying quest to hang onto Fouts Field till Lulu Roman of Hee Haw (love those syndicated shows) becomes a Farmer's Almanac nekid' centerfold,

OK, folks, pardon me, its time to take the meds.:)

Plumm, did you know that before she became a personality on Hee Haw, Lulu appeared as a comic stripper at the old Club Athena on Greenville Avenue ? So maybe we're close to gettin' rid of Fouts ! :devil:

Edited by MeanGreen61