New Seating Policy

KingDL1

Have you ever seen a plan before that penalizes you for buying more?

Anyone that has sit with me or buys tickets in our group knows that we try like hell to get butts in the stands. I always have extra and try to share, but this goes into affect I won't be able to afford it.

Last year we purchased as a group 20 tickets plus a 250 donation, I eat 6 - 8 of those seats usually. Now if we break it up into 5 groups of 4 the donation level is only $1250.00 but if I buy them as a group it is going to be $5000.00 for the Donation level. Shouldn't they sell out the stadium before they raise the cost 400%? I not worried about this year we will get the order in before the April deadline but man we batter start wining or this will have an serious impact on a already low fan base.

$250 donation = Up to 4 season tickets

$500 donation = Up to 6 season tickets

$1,000 donation = Up to 8 season tickets

$1,500 donation = Up to 12 season tickets

$2,500 donation = Up to 16 season tickets

$5,000 donation = Up to 20 season tickets

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen a plan before that penalizes you for buying more?

Anyone that has sit with me or buys tickets in our group knows that we try like hell to get butts in the stands. I always have extra and try to share, but this goes into affect I won't be able to afford it.

Last year we purchased as a group 20 tickets plus a 250 donation, I eat 6 - 8 of those seats usually. Now if we break it up into 5 groups of 4 the donation level is only $1250.00 but if I buy them as a group it is going to be $5000.00 for the Donation level. Shouldn't they sell out the stadium before they raise the cost 400%? I not worried about this year we will get the order in before the April deadline but man we batter start wining or this will have an serious impact on a already low fan base.

$250 donation = Up to 4 season tickets

$500 donation = Up to 6 season tickets

$1,000 donation = Up to 8 season tickets

$1,500 donation = Up to 12 season tickets

$2,500 donation = Up to 16 season tickets

$5,000 donation = Up to 20 season tickets

Can they even add over at the Athletic Department?

Geez. So, if I want twelve tickets.....and had two other friends buy 4 each ...and I bought four....our MGC donation total would only be $750. ($250 x 3) Right?

But, if one person buys all twelve (for a group)....it would cost him $1500 to the MGC.

Edited by SUMG

Brief highjack...SUMG, you must identify the young ladies in you avatar everytime you change it...back to topic.

This is the AD's attempt to combat over populating the earth and trying to limit families to a maximum size of 4. Seriously, does anyone know if this is a common practice at other universities?

What does this do to a family with three kids? Do we really need to make people supporting a larger family pay more for decent seats? Doesn't really add to the family atmosphere.

It's obvious that RV, aka Bien Chou, could be adopting the Chinese, "one child policy", population control. You may have to rotate your kids to NT games. ;)

So, let me get this straight.

If we ask the students to pay a huge fee increase, whether they go to games or not, then it is JUST and RIGHT and the ONLY PROPER THING TO DO to get this university to the athletic glory it deserves.

But if we ask the actual ticket buyers, the ones who derive the most pleasure and pride in football, to pay more, then its WRONG, TOO EARLY, and TOO SOON?

Interesting.

If we ask the students to pay a huge fee increase, whether they go to games or not, then it is JUST and RIGHT and the ONLY PROPER THING TO DO to get this university to the athletic glory it deserves.

But if we ask the actual ticket buyers, the ones who derive the most pleasure and pride in football, to pay more, then its WRONG, TOO EARLY, and TOO SOON?

Interesting.

What I don't understand is that you can still buy as many tickets as you want in section A, B, or C without a donation or you can complain about paying extra to sit in the "premium" seats.

Interesting.

So how do you start a slow clap online.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood the initial beef not to be with the cost of the seating, but with the way it was structured to discourage someone buying a whole bunch of seats.

Quit it, just quit it. How dare you cut to the heart of what the original poster was getting at?! Don't you know this detracts from piling on about how student fees are stupid and wrong...and how we as MGC members should be paying more while leaving the poor, disenfranchised students alone? Don't you know that getting back to the heart of the matter...that alums would LIKE TO CARRY THE BRUNT OF THE BURDEN FINANCIALLY BY BUYING MORE TICKETS but are discouraged by the price structuring...isn't allowed when we could be throwing in other issues?

Nevermind the fact that both camps could be TOTALLY right on this issue...just quit ruining a chance to throw one issue in alongside another where there is absolutely no mutual exclusivity.

Edited by emmitt01

This policy rubs everyone the wrong way and it should for years donating the minimum and buying extra tickets was the way to go. It allows people to give away tickets to friends and family which guaranteed more ticket sales and more butts in the seats. But as we take steps towards respectability and ticket demand goes up the athletics department has to make sure the best tickets make as much money as possible. If I’ve read correctly this only applies to section E but I do expect that to change as demand increase its part of becoming a big time program. Just try walking into any other ticket office with a $250 donation and saying I want 20 tickets on the 50 and I’m pretty sure you’ll get laughed out the door. It’s hard to say this but we as fans have had it way too good in the past at least financially. This in no way discourages people buying extra tickets it just shifts people over a section. Does it suck that long time fans have to donate more, buy less ticket or change seats yes but it’s all in the name of progress and I expect more similar change as the new stadium gets closer to reality.

I know that some of these changes hurt some people. But, as the quality of the product increases (including a new stadium), I think you will continue to see more price increases and restrictions. Unfortunately, progress has it's price.

Jumpin'Jehosuh'phats! I'll sit in the Naked Section @ Fouts Field if it will somehow help us get our new stadium quicker! (Close your eyes, Ethel, he's streakin' again)!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

sounds like someone in the AD's office went to the same economics class as Tom Hicks, throw a rather inferior product year after year and keep upping the prices to increase fan attendance.

Hmmm.... winning can not start soon enough.

And that person would be?

Guest GrayEagleOne

While their math is off (double for 20) I can understand charging some premium if someone wants more than the amount that goes with the donation.

The number of tickets that you can purchase only applies to Section E; the premium seating. Assume that for a $500 contribution you may buy 4 seats @ $100 each. Also assume that there are 2,000 seats in section E.

The revenue for that section would be $450,000. The total would come from 500 people paying (donating) $500 each ($250,000) and 2,000 tickets at $100 each ($200,000).

Now should you allow one person for a $500 donation to purchase 20 tickets @$100 then the total revenue for that section would be $250,000 ($50,000 in donations plus the same $200,000 in ticket sales).

However, you are right in that if you had to make a $5,000 donation to purchase 20 tickets and all of the seats in Section E were sold on that basis, the total revenue would be $700,000, an additional $250,000. I can only guess that the premium is to discourage large bloc purchases.

If only 10 of those 20 are used that's 1,000 less people to potentially buy food, drinks and merchandise. Perhaps that's the reason for the added ratio.