Ok... Can I Get A Guy Ruling Here?

A while ago on the Ticket, there was some discussion about rooting rules. I think it was something to the effect of "root for the team where you live." I think there were a few exceptions, like Catholics being able to pull for Notre Dame, Baptists for Baylor, and Mormons for BYU.

However, that was just on the Ticket, and I'd like to get a GMG view on the subject. What is the deal with the guy who has lived his whole life in Florida, but pulls for the Yankees? Or the Die hard Red Wings fan from California? Or the guy who claims to have been "born and bred" in Texas, but pulls for the Washington Redskins. Sounds a bit odd to me, but I'd be interested to hear what the denizens of the Green land feel.

A while ago on the Ticket, there was some discussion about rooting rules. I think it was something to the effect of "root for the team where you live." I think there were a few exceptions, like Catholics being able to pull for Notre Dame, Baptists for Baylor, and Mormons for BYU.

However, that was just on the Ticket, and I'd like to get a GMG view on the subject. What is the deal with the guy who has lived his whole life in Florida, but pulls for the Yankees? Or the Die hard Red Wings fan from California? Or the guy who claims to have been "born and bred" in Texas, but pulls for the Washington Redskins. Sounds a bit odd to me, but I'd be interested to hear what the denizens of the Green land feel.

Well I can only answer for myself, but I am a classic example I guess. I was born in Fayetteville, AR and have attended Razorback games all of my life. Still root for them and watch them every chance I get. I graduated from UNT since my father taught there. Went to most of their games growing up and love the Eagles. I live in Texas and root for the Mavs, Rangers and Cowboys.

I also cheered for the Houston Oilers when they were around. The reason I pull for the Redskins I spent the summers in Washington D.C. with an uncle who had season tickets to RFK, the best stadium known to man. I attended preseason games and fell in love with the Skins and their Fat, old QB Billy Kilmer, who did nothing but win. I have never liked the Cowgirls and all my friends give me garbage over it, but hey that's who I am. Love me or hate me, I don't care which.

Go Mean Green, long live Billy Kilmer!!

Well I can only answer for myself, but I am a classic example I guess. I was born in Fayetteville, AR and have attended Razorback games all of my life. Still root for them and watch them every chance I get. I graduated from UNT since my father taught there. Went to most of their games growing up and love the Eagles. I live in Texas and root for the Mavs, Rangers and Cowboys.

Right, but you lived there and grew up watching those games. And when you moved on, you adopted the teams where you live now. But it isn't like you're cheering for the Dodgers or something.

I'll chime in but I may be in a unique situation because I came from a town with only one sports team. I am from New Orleans and so first and foremost I am a Saints fan. All other teams can burn in you know where when in comparison to the Saints.

That said, I have always been obsessed with hockey. Down in New Orleans, the only hockey we ever saw was the playoffs. Back in '91, I watched the Redwings for the first time and watched them till they lost in the playoffs. I picked them as my team back then because I was as familiar with them as one could be. Then played video games using them and watched when I could (tv coverage grew back then). I moved to Dallas in 94 right when the Stars came but I guess the New Orleans-esq loyalty just wouldn't let me root for the Stars even through I tried.

I don't watch must basketball but my grandmother and mom were fans of the Lakers since before I was born b/c my mom went to UCLA and we didn't have a pro team. That said, even now my mom roots for the Lakers even though the Hornets are there. I could really care less, but in the same token I don't care about the Mavericks that much.

I could care less about baseball. When I was little I watched the Atlanta Braves since they were on TBS so much.

I don't find anything wrong with people being fans of other teams as long as they are through and through fans and not people who bail out on the team at the first sign of losing. Obviously I don't have that problem... I am Saints fan :lol:

a couple of things. first, i was a military brat and we moved all of the time. so my teams were all over the place. basically i rooted for the first teams i remember seeing and any against any team my dad liked. long story.

secondly, as someone else said, as a kid every cubs and braves game was on tv. i'm not a fan of either team but as a kid i was a huge baseball fan and i saw more of their games then i did my beloved astros so i can see someone becoming a fan of those teams.

plus kid's seem to lock onto players more than teams. i become a colts fan because of bert jones. i loved george brett and the royals. after he left, i was ho-hum on them mostly because i was living in texas by then.

kids are exposed to way more teams then when i was growing up. you can see every game now, back then you were lucky to have the home team on tv. forget watching a browns game in dallas. most of the astros games when i grew up were only on the radio, even in houston.

i think the rules are out nowadays. but that might just be me.

by the way, when i was a teenager we had one thirty minute show that showed highlights from english soccer. and it wasn't even on every week. now i get highlights every night, a channel devoted almost entirely to soccer, and can watch almost every newcastle games. and that's from a sport from another continent. yeah, the old days of listening to games on the radio were sort of romantic but i'm not complaining about what we got today either. especially with almost all of UNT's football games on the tv or internet.

I lived in Houston until I was was 13. I was a DIEHARD Oiler fan until Bud "insert expletive here" Adams moved the team to Tennessee. I moved to Dallas at 13 and became a converted Cowboy fan. I can't root for the Titans and the Texans just aren't the Oilers to me.

I was a Rockets fan with Clyde and Hakeem but once I moved to Dallas I quit watching basketball until a few years ago when the Mavs peaked my interest.

The Astros are still my baseball team. I'd go watch a Ranger game now and then but Bags and Biggio were my boys.

I've only been to one hockey game so I guess you'd have to say the Stars are my team in that respect too.

I also cheered for the Houston Oilers when they were around. The reason I pull for the Redskins I spent the summers in Washington D.C. with an uncle who had season tickets to RFK, the best stadium known to man. I attended preseason games and fell in love with the Skins and their Fat, old QB Billy Kilmer, who did nothing but win. I have never liked the Cowgirls and all my friends give me garbage over it, but hey that's who I am. Love me or hate me, I don't care which.

Go Mean Green, long live Billy Kilmer!!

so you fell in love with those summer preseason football games??? just so i can get a better grasp on your situation, can i ask how old you are?

i loved the colts but lived in houston at the time and followed the oilers. when the colts moved i became a huge oiler fan. those playoff losses in the 90s just killed me. then the oilers moved and like you i wasn't becoming a titans or texans fan. now i root for the cowboys but i don't live and die with them.

as a kid i watched sports 24/7. now not so much. i live and die with unt and newcastle and follow the cowboys. all the other teams have fallen off the radar.

funny, baseball was number one as a kid but the strike, changes in baseball, and the rangers killed the sport for me. back in the dome, i loved those 3-2 games where every at bat mattered. watching 13-8 rangers games soured me. granted, being at the dome was horrible, but the games and teams back then were a lot of fun.

I was born in Ft Lauderdale, and have been a Dolphins fan since the age of 10. Even though I've lived in Texas for 9 years, I won't change loyalties to the Cowgirls. My college team for a long time was the Gators, and I still root for them even though I feel less for them with each passing year I live in Texas. I was a Marlins fan from the start of the franchise, mostly because they had spring training in my Florida hometown and we had season tickets to the Manatees minor league team. But again, I feel less loyal to them since I live in Texas.

Now, I am a fan of the Star, Mavs, and Mean Green... but that's because being a Florida native, I didn't grow up with a loyal following of a hockey or basketball team. And I am a soon-to-be-UNT Grad.

Edited by UNTflyer

I generally think its ok to root for whatever you feel like, no matter their association with your home town. With 4 ESPN channels and constant coverage of all teams coast-to-coast, its common for many people to fall in love with one particular style, or players on a team.

I do think however, that you can't get upset when your loyalty is called into question if you support a bandwagon team. Its natural to be accused of that considering there is so much of it in the sports world.

As for me I don't necessarily go by the rule of supporting your home town. I have no beef with Dallas, but if a job and wife approval allowed, I'd be someplace else. I generally root for teams whose style I like, or the city they're from.

I grew up a Rangers fan because of my family, but as I got older and learned more about baseball I realized the DH rule is stupid as hell. I hate the city, but love the stadium, the players, and the fans of the Astros. I also like the Padres for the same reasons, although I love the city of San Diego. I'm an FC Dallas fan notsomuch because I'm a Dallas fan, but because I've watched this team grow through so much. I remember the highlight of my summer vacation sophomore and junior year was that my small-town parents allowed me to drive to the inner-city Cotton Bowl and use what little cash I had on tickets and food. I remember the 'festive' side of the Cotton Bowl and the lively Latino crowds, and realizing that unlike most American sports, soccer is too short for sitting on your hands the whole match. I don't care much for the NFL, but I root for my two favorite cities: San Diego and Seattle.

I couldn't care much for basketball, and with hockey I've never gotten attached to a team, so I have like 4 that I sort of pull for.

I moved around a bit, too. When I was really little, it was all Buffalo and a little Philly. My parents grew up right outside of Philly and still rooted for the Sixers, Flyers, Eagles, and Phillies, but because of our location had transitioned a bit since all of their friends loved all things Buffalo. Since we weren't in NYC, the basketball team was still the Sixers, but all the other games tended to be Buffalo...except for hockey, which was split with the Flyers.

Then, when they moved back to Philly, they got back to all those teams, and I got into baseball a bit, so my team was the Phillies, at the end of the Mike Schmidt era (all-around great person, good for the franchise, in my opinion). Got bored with baseball around age 13 and lightly followed the Sixers, then in high school was moderately interested in the Flyers, especially with a young Eric Lindros becoming team captain and reinvigorating the franchise. That all just seemed really cool to me at the time.

Finally, I moved to Texas and got away from everything I hated. I had never really been welcome in my own home or school growing up, but North Texas was equal parts school, home, and family, so I quickly adopted all of the Dallas-area teams. I still feel a bit of affinity for the Flyers and Sixers. All of the jackasses from my youth were obsessed with the PA college teams, so I've never liked them. North Texas is my #1 for NCAA, but as I've said before, I have a sort of system for who I root for:

1) UNT

2) Mid-Major BCS breakers

3) Texas Teams

4) Underdogs

So, I'll go for Hawai'i, Boise, Utah, etc. to take down the big boys, and always dig Texas teams rocking it. Barring that, I love seeing the little guy take down anybody, whether BCS or otherwise.

I have a friend who is a rabid Minnesota Twins and Vikings fan, but has never set foot in the state of Minnesota. While I may not get it, I think its OK to root for the team of your choice regardless of geography. Exception: don't be a "bandwaggoner", i.e becoming a Red Sox fan after they started winning championships without enduring some of the bad times as well.

I have a friend who is a rabid Minnesota Twins and Vikings fan, but has never set foot in the state of Minnesota. While I may not get it, I think its OK to root for the team of your choice regardless of geography. Exception: don't be a "bandwaggoner", i.e becoming a Red Sox fan after they started winning championships without enduring some of the bad times as well.

I agree with you on this one... I have seen some SOX fans jumpin' on like whoa this last three or four years. I was interested and followed them from the time I moved up to VA when I was younger and while I am Texas born and like the Rangers, The Red Sox are my first baseball team and many people give me grief because of living here and liking them.

I was born and bred here and have always been a Cowboy fan. Therefore, I blindly hate the Redskins and the Eagles. My mom, however was from Missouri and my grandpa was a DIEHARD Kansas City fan, and my Dad was from San Fransisco and my Grandmother was a DIEHARD San Fransisco fan. ...so against all Cowboy logic, I still like and root for both teams. ...unless they're playing the Cowboys.

...I always liked the Oilers, and root for the Texans today. ...now, I like "other" teams and dislike "other teams" because I like or don't like the players. I root for the Titans and the Colts because I like Vince and Payton. I root against the Chargers because I think Rivers is a jackass.

I guess growing up in Texas, if you're not from West Texas, you end up picking between UT and A&M to root for. I always liked Texas, and still do to this day.

I didn't really know much about UNT until I considered going there. I applied to UT, Tech and UNT. Got into all 3 schools. For personal reasons (Read: I had a girl in Dallas) I stayed near home and went to UNT. Best choice I ever made BTW. I fell in LOVE with UNT and married that girl. :) I was in the Green Brigade and thus HAD to be at the football games my Freshman year. From then on, you couldn't keep me away from one.

I still root for Texas unless we're playing 'em. I root for any Texas team when they aren't playing another Texas team. Oklahoma Sucks. Can't get behind them no matter what. ..ok, unless they are playing one of the Florida teams or Notre Dame.

...for the same reason I like the Cheifs and Niners, I am a Mizzou fan (Mom went there) and a USC fan (Dad went there). I only clashed with my dad when Texas and USC played for the title.

Never cared about hockey until the Stars showed up, then fell in love with the sport, and hold season tickets today. ...I don't care at all about baseball.

I'm a VERY casual Basketball Fan (except for UNT), and only recently care because the Mav's have been worth a crap for the first time ever of late.

Edited by yyz28

I agree with you on this one... I have seen some SOX fans jumpin' on like whoa this last three or four years. I was interested and followed them from the time I moved up to VA when I was younger and while I am Texas born and like the Rangers, The Red Sox are my first baseball team and many people give me grief because of living here and liking them.

I have a difficult time with this question, mainly because geographically my loyalties are all over the place (UMich, Red Sox, Mavericks, I am justified in all of these). Also my best friend became a Red Sox fan during the 2004 season...so he has never seen hard times...but he makes yearly trips to Fenway, has grown to appreciate the Sox history and mystique and has enough Sox gear to make a Southie blush...including a media room decked out with old Fenway photos. I couldn't in good conscience consider him a "bandwagoner" b/c I know for certain he wouldn't bail if the Sox struggled. Yet he has no ties to the Northeast.

I think the bandwagoner isn't easy to define, rather easy to identify. One geographic anomaly I think is acceptable...but if you favorite NBA team is the Lakers, NFL the Patriots, and MLB the Yankees and you've lived your entire life in Argyle...and references to Kurt Rambis, Steve Grogan and Jimmy key go completly over your head...then you're a bandwagoner.

I was born in Dallas. I am a Cowboy fan, Rangers fan, And Mean Green fan.

I HATE the Redskins, Giants, Eagles, Longhorns, A&M and SMU.

I'm right there with you. I am Mavs fan as well. Never got into hockey for some reason.

To put things in order as of right now:

1. Mean Green

2. Dallas Cowboys

3. Texas Rangers

4. Dallas Mavericks

Edited by Got5onIt

I was an Oiler's fan growing up. After they left town (F Bud Adams), I didn't have an NFL team until we got the Texans. I'm a big Texans fan. I don't care if they ever win a Super Bowl (fire away), it's my team.

I lived in the Dallas area for 6 years. Went to a few Cowboy's games, never got into it. Sure it would be easier to root for the Cowboys, but I have no attachment, and I'm always a fan of the underdog. Good thing, because I went to UNT.

It's all Houston teams for me. Texans, Rockets, Astros, the occasional Dynamo game, and the local colleges (when not playing UNT).

I also have a special place in my heart for the Detroit Tigers.

As usual I am an oddity on the board, I grew up a huge Syracuse Fan and I am still a huge fan going back to the 1988? Sugar Bowl tie against Auburn and that damn Keith Smart hitting the jumper in the NCAA Finals in 1987. Dad was from the area so naturally came down the family ties even though I grew up in Texas. Fan of Texas Rangers but not so much of the Mavs, Stars, and Cowboys, more of a Giants fan due to having a Yankee father, but hate the Yankees Baseball team.

Also a big fan of UNT and SHSU as a mjority of course work was done at those schools.