New Db Coach: Clay Jennings

SUMG

Well since you do not know much about football, let me explain.

Defensive Coordinators still are required to coach a position.

I didn't know they were required, just that it was pretty typical to be assigned some position-coaching responsibilities/duties.

As far as the MacDuff rumors, I think it's safe to say that there's nothing safe to say? But by all accounts, I'm leaning towards DeLoach (and hoping A LOT). At least, the pieces seem to fit. The Star-Telegram quotes the UCLA football office, "He wanted to go back to Texas."

I think we'd all agree that secondary is DeLoach's specialty. Jennings presence makes people speculate.

Clay Jennings and my son attended Boys State at the same time before their Senior year in High School . This says alot about his character.

Ahhhh Boys State. I remember my time there well. We elected a guy who was gay as governor, the staff found out, and he miraculously stepped down. :shifty:

Edited by emmitt01

Guest GrayEagleOne

It is a little hard to know what to believe at this point.

We know (or at least it was reported) that DeLoach is coming back to Texas. Baylor and Houston have filled their defensive coordinator slots. Houston only has two offensive position coach slots left and I'm not sure that Baylor has any. The defensive coordinator for North Texas and SMU are open. Jones has mentioned bringing both his OC and DC from Hawaii. We have confirmed that DeLoach has interviewed for the DC job at North Texas. There has been no mention of his talking to anyone at SMU but that's not to say that it hasn't happened. It certainly appears that he has been hired somewhere since he is no longer at UCLA.

The biggest question mark is due to the hiring of Clay Jennings as a defensive backs coach. I would feel more comfortable had he been hired as the linebackers coach. Our coordinators are also position coaches (so that we can justify the extra pay most likely) so that would seem awkward if Gary DeLoach were hired he be the DC and the linebackers coach . Or, they could decide to switch Jennings to linebackers and make DeLoach the cornerback coach, where we know that he excels.

I'm in the camp of 'believe nothing until you see it in writing'. There definitely is a lot of smoke but we haven't actually seen any fire yet (except for Mendoza). I know, bad pun.

I was told that Deloach only needed a few years of coaching in Texas...to be eligible for state pension (when he retires).

Well, working at a private school....wouldn't help him in that regard.

So, if the above is true....he would only be coming back to Texas...to work at a public university.

It is a little hard to know what to believe at this point.

We know (or at least it was reported) that DeLoach is coming back to Texas. Baylor and Houston have filled their defensive coordinator slots. Houston only has two offensive position coach slots left and I'm not sure that Baylor has any. The defensive coordinator for North Texas and SMU are open. Jones has mentioned bringing both his OC and DC from Hawaii. We have confirmed that DeLoach has interviewed for the DC job at North Texas. There has been no mention of his talking to anyone at SMU but that's not to say that it hasn't happened. It certainly appears that he has been hired somewhere since he is no longer at UCLA.

The biggest question mark is due to the hiring of Clay Jennings as a defensive backs coach. I would feel more comfortable had he been hired as the linebackers coach. Our coordinators are also position coaches (so that we can justify the extra pay most likely) so that would seem awkward if Gary DeLoach were hired he be the DC and the linebackers coach . Or, they could decide to switch Jennings to linebackers and make DeLoach the cornerback coach, where we know that he excels.

I'm in the camp of 'believe nothing until you see it in writing'. There definitely is a lot of smoke but we haven't actually seen any fire yet (except for Mendoza). I know, bad pun.

I don't really doubt that Deloach could be linebackers coach as well as DC. He's produced training videos for linemen and lbs in the 4-3 system. I've also heard he's sold pinecones for export to North Carolina and during summers while at Howard Payne, went out to the Monahans area to sell sand from East Texas.