This Week, Some Of The Wind Was Taken Out...

SouthBendGreen

I know it's been talked about in MANY threads and I've read them all, but I still can't shake loose this bad taste in my mouth after SMU hired JJ on Monday! I've tried to figure out how this isn't just really bad for NT. I mean what are the positives for us? We've been taking recruits away from SMU, does that happen now? I just don't see how it does.

Two schools that run similar offenses just 30 miles away and one has a coach that took a team to a BCS bowl last season! I don't want to seem like Chicken Little, but I was so giddy during recent recruiting and then getting a new DC. It's been great. Then BAM!! Yesterday hits.

I need some Mean Green therapy.

It took JJ nine years to build the UH program. SMU has done nothing with all the facilities and money that previously existing within their program. I am not say they can't or won't (is this a double negative? triple negative? Look at my UNT education breaking down before my very eyes) be successful, however SMU should not be our baseline or benchmark. As a few other have stated on this board, think small time you will end up small time.

Edited by scotty474

If I was a player I sure as hell wouldn't want to play to play for June Jones... his attitude (what attitude) on the sidelines would make me as a player think he just doesn't care, and when he gave the pregame speech? Snore.

Not to mention he has no Texas recruiting ties. We will be just fine.

Edited by ipEAGLE

If I was a player I sure as hell wouldn't want to play to play for June Jones... his attitude (what attitude) on the sidelines would make me as a player think he just doesn't care, and when he gave the pregame speech? Snore.

Much like the question we are asking this week, will he bring his UH staff with (no Texas ties); or will he hire some folks who are more familiar with the area. Doing the latter could really put some recruiting distance between us and them.

What Hawaii ties did JJ have? What Texas ties did Mack Brown have? He may have had some which throws that out the window. Anyway, point is that would be nice, but I don't think it completely matters. JJ can say, "Hey I took a school from Hawaii to a BCS Bowl." I think that plays well to kids.

My thoughts are somewhat different. First, a great hire for SMU. Coach Jones will turn around the program. However, Coach Dodge is bringing this program prominence and will continue to do...

The Metroplex having 3 good teams will help keep more athletes from going out of State. And, if we will play each other each year...wow, what a thrill. According to Vito, UNT/SMU may be announced soon.

Players are A-PLENTY. In time, it will hurt the Kansas and Missiou's of the world. And, who started that! Our own Hayden Fry, which opened up the pipeline of Texas to Iowa. All these other schools are using the same model.

We have to worry about us! Rick V. continues to need our help on the Stadium. The SunBelt needs a Second Bowl Tie-In.

Enought for All of us!!!!! It Ain't All Texas, Aggies, and Red Raiders!!!!

J. Jones was in Houston for several years and if you will notice there were several Texas players on the U. of Hawaii team and Jones had several Texas players on his committment list. So Texas ties do exist .

At the end of the day, we can only worry about us. We can't worry about what everyone else is doing. While it might hurt a bit when recruiting, this could potentially help UNT in the long run. If we continue to play each other each year, it will only deepen the rivalry and give it more attention. I heard an interview from a USC player once (maybe Leinhart), but he said he was rooting for UCLA to win every game except against them. The reason? He wants it to be the best rivalry in college football. While we would never rival USC/UCLA or UT/A&M, its good pub if both programs are on the rise. I think Todd Dodge will continue to recruit great players and bring the program back to respectability, its just a matter of time. I don't know Jones' background but one thing Dodge has going for him is his long lasting presence in football in the state of Texas. He played at UT, and has much respect from old alumni there, and has coached for a long time in the state. He knows many high school coaches and can trust their judgement when it comes to player evaluations. Basically put, he is well connected where it matters most, the high school coaches. This is where the players all come from and Dodge is well neteworked at that level. From my knowledge, the same can't be said about June Jones.

I said just about the same thing as this in a thread last week and got a bucket of green Kool Aid dumped on me. I was hoping that Coach Fran would get the SMU job because he runs a more option based offense and we would not be trying to recruit exactly the same kinds of kids. It will take Jones a while to develop a rapport with the Texas high school coaches. Coach Dodge definately has an advantage in that area today. That won't last forever, though. Jones can point to his past success as a head coach at the college level. Coach Dodge can't do that yet......

I have to agree with ParksAndRecRick. Its all good but we have GOT to move now! We have had, what?, 10-12 years to step up and capture the interest of the DFW football fans. SMU was forced to step down, and is still there. We failed, until now, to step up and replace them. We still can even if they hire a JJ. TD has what it takes to recruit the talent we need to do what we failed to do over the last 12 years. To repeat a comment on some thread, the exciting thing is who will be our new DC. That's where we can make up for last year and hyperstart '08 spring football.

It took JJ nine years to build the UH program.

Well, not exactly:

Hawaii - 1994 - Head Coach Bob Wagner: 3-8-1

Hawaii - 1995 - Head Coach Bob Wagner: 4-8

Hawaii - 1996 - Head Coach Fred vonAppen: 2-10

Hawaii - 1997 - Head Coach Fred vonAppen: 3-9

Hawaii - 1998 - Head Coach Fred vonAppen: 0-12

Hawaii - 1999 - Head Coach June Jones: 9-4, WAC Co-Champs, Bowl: Oahu Classic - Hawaii 23, Oregon State 17

Hawaii - 2000 - Head Coach June Jones: 3-9

Hawaii - 2001 - Head Coach June Jones: 9-3

Hawaii - 2002 - Head Coach June Jones: 10-4 Bowl: Hawaii Bowl - Tulane 36, Hawaii 28

Hawaii - 2003 - Head Coach June Jones: 9-5 Bowl: Hawaii Bowl - Hawaii 54, Houston 48

Hawaii - 2004 - Head Coach June Jones: 8-5 Bowl: Hawaii Bowl - Hawaii 59, UAB 40

Hawaii - 2005 - Head Coach June Jones: 5-7

Hawaii - 2006 - Head Coach June Jones: 11-3, Bowl: Hawaii Bowl - Hawaii 41, Arizona State 24

Hawaii - 2007 - Head Coach June Jones: 12-0, Bowl: Sugar Bowl - Georgia 41, Hawaii 10

Well, not exactly:

Hawaii - 1994 - Head Coach Bob Wagner: 3-8-1

Hawaii - 1995 - Head Coach Bob Wagner: 4-8

Hawaii - 1996 - Head Coach Fred vonAppen: 2-10

Hawaii - 1997 - Head Coach Fred vonAppen: 3-9

Hawaii - 1998 - Head Coach Fred vonAppen: 0-12

Hawaii - 1999 - Head Coach June Jones: 9-4, WAC Co-Champs, Bowl: Oahu Classic - Hawaii 23, Oregon State 17

Hawaii - 2000 - Head Coach June Jones: 3-9

Hawaii - 2001 - Head Coach June Jones: 9-3

Hawaii - 2002 - Head Coach June Jones: 10-4 Bowl: Hawaii Bowl - Tulane 36, Hawaii 28

Hawaii - 2003 - Head Coach June Jones: 9-5 Bowl: Hawaii Bowl - Hawaii 54, Houston 48

Hawaii - 2004 - Head Coach June Jones: 8-5 Bowl: Hawaii Bowl - Hawaii 59, UAB 40

Hawaii - 2005 - Head Coach June Jones: 5-7

Hawaii - 2006 - Head Coach June Jones: 11-3, Bowl: Hawaii Bowl - Hawaii 41, Arizona State 24

Hawaii - 2007 - Head Coach June Jones: 12-0, Bowl: Sugar Bowl - Georgia 41, Hawaii 10

good job with the facts, apparently only at UNT are we not expected to win in a coaches first or even second year in one of the bottom conferences of NCAA Div 1A football.

good job with the facts, apparently only at UNT are we not expected to win in a coaches first or even second year in one of the bottom conferences of NCAA Div 1A football.

That is pretty amazing...going from 0-12 to 9-4! It's doesn't appear the talent was left over nor did recruting play a huge part in such a turnaround. Although, those rumors are out there. Some boys got a "get out of jail free" card. Think that will work at SMU?? We'll see!

I know it's been talked about in MANY threads and I've read them all, but I still can't shake loose this bad taste in my mouth after SMU hired JJ on Monday! I've tried to figure out how this isn't just really bad for NT. I mean what are the positives for us? We've been taking recruits away from SMU, does that happen now? I just don't see how it does.

Two schools that run similar offenses just 30 miles away and one has a coach that took a team to a BCS bowl last season! I don't want to seem like Chicken Little, but I was so giddy during recent recruiting and then getting a new DC. It's been great. Then BAM!! Yesterday hits.

I need some Mean Green therapy.

I think June Jones and Todd Dodge are basically the same coach. Only differnce is that June has some NCAA skins on the wall and Dodge has Texas High School skins on the wall

It will come down to recruiting the DFW, Houston, Austin, SA area to see who wins out...lets hope kids remember what Dodge did at Carroll when it comes down to signing day

Until SMU changes their academic model (no special admissions) they are still going to have recruiting problems

THE DMN a few days ago (can't look it up) already mentioned that they are.

#1 No reason why both schools can't do well. Plenty of talent to go around. Let's just make sure it stays here and doesn't go out of state or to the members of the evil empire (Big 12).

#2 Coach Jones has plenty of Texas ties. His starting secondary is from Texas. He has 2 or 3 commits this year from Texas kids, including one from Denton. His DC at Hawaii was the Big 12 recruiter of the year when previously at Tech. We hope he will come with him but he is being considered for the new HC position at Hawaii so he might not.

#3 Our admission issues have been changed and we are now "nationally competitive". I don't know exactly what that means but both President Turner and Coach Jones said it at the press conference and neither of them stuttered when they said it.

Happy Recruiting to us all!

Until SMU changes their academic model (no special admissions) they are still going to have recruiting problems

I believe I read in the dmn, jjtaylor's article yesterday, that smu has adjusted their admissions standards. I could be wrong.

edit: sorry qouner, I didn't read far enough down the board.

Edited by filmerj

I could care less what SMU does. I welcome JJ to Dallas, but we can control what we do and what we do only. I'm excited about our future and don't think any wind was removed from our sails.

A good point! One thing I like about next season is that ,barring any huge surprises, we know who our quarterback will be, and his name is Giovanni Vizza. Now if we improve our defensive and special teams in 2008 as much as we improved our offensive play after Vizza became the starting QB, we can win a lot more games, and soon!

I just don't understand some views on this. I don't know if some here are trying to stay positive or what, but everyone has to admit that of all the candidates this was the one that impacts NT the most in a negative sense, or am I off base?

I also don't buy the no Texas ties thing. A quick scan of Mack Brown's wikipedia page showed ZERO Texas ties. Yes he was close as a coordinator at OU and in Tulane as well. Also Dennis Franchione, didn't really have them either. He spent two seasons as coach at Texas State, but that's really it before getting to New Mexico and then TCU and he did great at TCU. Plus, JJ goes into a kids home and says, "Hey you saw Colt Brennan in New York for the Heisman. You saw us in a BCS Bowl." What's TD say, "hey you saw me at SLC and I know your coach." I know TD's relationships with coaches is great, but kids these days want all kinds of attention. I watch the HS all-star games and these kids have like three hats in front for the college choice and then knock them all off the table and pull one from behind their back. It's a joke. Point is, coaches only have so much influence. And if it's true that SMU is lowering standards that's even more the case. I don't have the desire to look it up, but I guarantee you we can find numerous coaches that didn't have specific regional ties and still did fine in recruiting.

Now I'm not getting down on TD or his ability. I have FULL faith in TD and expect him to make NT into a solid D-1 program. All I'm saying is that it got a little more difficult last week. I don't know how anyone can disagree.