I Suspected They Would Be Talking

eulessismore

I guess the thought is that some of Trinity's great players are Tongans or otherwise Polynesian, and Jones having coached at Hawaii, will recognize that great pool of talent, wherever it is located.

SMU fans on Euless Trinity

By the way, Euless Trinity will be having it's community celebration for their state champion football team this coming Thursday night, anyone living in or around Euless would be welcome; maybe some of us could wear UNT gear and show we care. See the link below.

Euless celebrates state 5A Division I 2007 football championship.

I guess I am surprised there doesn't seem to be any recruiting of Euless Trinity football players by UNT this year. No need for smashmouth linemen, a great running back, outstanding defensive players?

Dwayne Taylor

I must say that this baffles me. Todge is obviously familiar with the program having played against Trinity numerous times while at SLC. I thought the recruitement of Scoggins and King last year would open up that pipeline, but it doesn't seem to be helping this year.

I must say that this baffles me. Todge is obviously familiar with the program having played against Trinity numerous times while at SLC. I thought the recruitement of Scoggins and King last year would open up that pipeline, but it doesn't seem to be helping this year.

How do you know that he doesn't have the inside track on some of Trinity's OL.

Since neither SMU nor North Texas appear to be relocating to the West Coast anytime soon, I would expect to see Polynesian recruits at either campus rarely.

I'm not sure you're getting the concept. Euless, Texas has one of the largest number of Tongan expatriates of any place in the United States. About a fourth of the football players at Euless Trinity High School are of Tongan ancestry. Proximity to employment with Airlines at DFW Airport has been a big factor in their migrating here; many were transferred here when American Airlines moved their headquarters from New York to Fort Worth. According to some writer, the Polynesian impact on American style football is in its second generation on the U.S. Mainland, with many of those now playing in the high school through professional ranks of being sons of immigrants (of course Hawaiians and those from American Samoa are U.S. citizens). Anyway, there are outstanding football players of many backgrounds at Trinity, and the head coach there, Steve Lineweaver, spoke after Todd Dodge was hired at UNT of Dodge opening up opportunities for local players, including from Trinity. Just trying to advocate a recruiting pipeline that makes sense to me!