Smu Insiders Think It's June Jones

I hear SMU Insiders are saying June Jones will be announced as the next head coach of the Mustangs later this week. Y'all have any thoughts?

And, one thing that I hope Wright Waters can do... There is NO DOUBT in my mind, that the SunBelt is up their with Conference USA in football! Our teams each have to play some money games against the big boys...and our record as a conference takes a plunge. Put us on a home or neutral field.....and watch the Belt Rock! And, heck, UL-Monroe still didn't get enough credit for beating Alabama on the road. We will be next...with a big upset in 2008!

But, Wright Waters MUST continue to do his best to get us a second bowl. NO QUESTION that Troy would have won their Bowl. We would have been 2 and 0. That is a must.... And, playing a lowly Conference USA Team in New Orleans will lead to many victories for the Belt.

ParksAndRecRick

Couple of side notes regarding June Jones and $mu.

The color coverage guys handling the Hawaii/Georgia game last

night said several times that Jone's contrac t ends in May or June

and that big raise was comming plus they quoted several times

that Jone stated he was going to stay at Hawaii.

For the SBC, I have read several postings from a guy, "Mr Ho", on

GoTroyTrojans.com, that claims to have "insider" information down

at the SBC HQ office. Mr Ho claims that Water's has been in talks with

the ACC to replace CUSA in the NOB. Mr Ho also claims that Southern

Miss and possibly one more CUSA team would join the SBC for more

regional alinement. Mr Ho claims the Mobile GMAC Bowl will aline with

the SBC also. Will any of these events happen? Who kowns.

Mr Ho's new name for CUSA, is CDOA. Now that is funny!

Mr Ho claims the Mobile GMAC Bowl will aline with

the SBC also.

Back when the SBC first started planning to add football, the then Mobile Bowl wanted to be involved. But, there was a delay in adding football to the SBC - the Big West hadn’t broken up just yet - and Mobile became a MAC verse WAC (and maybe the upstart CUSA).

Strange? Inside source still says Coach Fran the front runner, but there are some real issues in getting a deal done. (Heard the odds that Fran takes that job now dropped to 50%) I would be shocked if June Jones left one of the hottest programs and recruiting hot-beds in the NCAA, and jumped into one of the least desdired head coaching jobs in football? Although it does happen, I would'nt count on JJ. My guess, their HC list looks something like this...

1. Dennis Francione (front runner)

2. Mike Singletary (Interested also in Atlanta Falcons HC job)

3. Terry Bowden (Yes, he is looking for a Head-coaching job and would boost recruiting almost overnight)

4. Chan Gailey (not sure of his status)

5. Darrell Dickey (Two-time SBC coach of the year, Four consecutive SBC-Conference titles and four consecutive Bowl appearances)

Again, this is SPECULATION... but fire away with your opinions.

GMG!!!

can someone explain to me how Hawaii could possibly be considered a recruiting "hot bed"?

In my opinion, the only thing that makes Hawaii a better program than SMU is the fact that they have won games. SMU is in a far better market, one of the best recruiting areas in the country, and has a lot more money.

Edited by Eagle1855

My guess, their HC list looks something like this...Again, this is SPECULATION... but fire away with your opinions.

Ask, and ye shall receive!

1. Dennis Francione (front runner)

The obvious problem with Franchione is that SMU is a program with major baggage . . . do they really want to bring in a coach with major baggage? However, he should definitely make SMU a winning team within C-USA. SMU probably wants to win enough at this point to overlook his baggage. It would be a major demotion for Fran from high-profile jobs like A&M and Bama, but no high-profile HC gig is coming for him for a while.

I just don't see it. He had previously expressed interest in the Baylor job, and when he finally talked to them, he said he wasn't interested. What could SMU possibly offer him that his alma mater couldn't to lure him away from the NFL, which is obviously where he now wants to be?

3. Terry Bowden (Yes, he is looking for a Head-coaching job and would boost recruiting almost overnight)

There is a pretty decent chance that he gets the WVU job--if not, I don't see him dropping from WVU to SMU to get a job.

4. Chan Gailey (not sure of his status)

I don't think so, but you never know.

5. Darrell Dickey (Two-time SBC coach of the year, Four consecutive SBC-Conference titles and four consecutive Bowl appearances)

One can only hope! :D

SMUt has baggage...agreed! Francione has baggage...agreed! Not predicting that it would happen in this case, BUT sometimes you can take two farts and make perfume.

I just don't see it. He had previously expressed interest in the Baylor job, and when he finally talked to them, he said he wasn't interested. What could SMU possibly offer him that his alma mater couldn't to lure him away from the NFL, which is obviously where he now wants to be?

I could see this, wouldn't expect it but could see it, only because Singletary turned down Baylor because "they can't win." And he was right. With their academic restrictions, playing in the Big XII south they will never win. SMU too has some restrictions but CUSA is no Big XII south.

I highly doubt this would happen. If JJ talks with SMU it is only to give him some leverage in his talks with Hawaii.

I heard over the weekend that JJ had some baggage too. I don't know enough about some of his personal issues to discuss them so I won't. Thi swill be a good one to watch. My bet is, $mut is really after this guy.

I'm not really all that excited about June Jones. He drove around to polynesian islands and picked people that probably didn't have offers from any schools. He gave them a chance to go to an American school and get a degree. How many games did they win b/c a team had to travel 140000 miles to go over to Hawaii and pretend they were there for a football game instead of a vacation?

I'm not saying he's not a good coach, and what he did at Hawaii is oustanding - but turning around SMU is just a different animal. If he can instantly recruit at SMU, it will be b/c of his success at Hawaii, and if he doesn't immediately get things going here, then the recruiting edge will fade pretty quickly. Plus, he's got more competition for the kinds of recruits he needs to go after at SMU (there are a lot of schools going after Texas kids rather than polynesian kids). Look at how he got to 12-0, he went and got Colt Brennan. The kid had been in jail and had hours earned from another college. SMU wouldn't let a kids hours from Northwestern transfer (a much much better school) that had no past problems. He didn't have to worry about $ alums and trustees that wanted arms-length control of the program, and a faculty-senate that pushes academics over athletics (yeah, I know that's the point of college -- but a good athletic department is better than any marketing scheme or rankings publication to drive up application #'s and the quality of students -- just ask USC). From what I heard some of that has lessened due to Bennett, but I would've rather had Johnson who worked at a school with every disadvantage, or get someone like Barnett who knows how to win at a small school in a legitimate conference rather than the joke of one we're in right now.

If that doesn't work, throw the $1.7 mill at Mike Shula who got completely jobbed by Alabama b/c of the Bryant-descendants. He's young with something to prove, and his last name lends credibility. If SMU athletics hires Francione or Coker, they can forget my attendance at another game or money. Not because I don't like those people personally, but it just shows that despite every advantage in the books (facilities, location, campus, $) for a school in their conference, the administration on the Hilltop will NEVER get it right -- I'd rather just donate to the business school or the general university fund.

If that doesn't work, throw the $1.7 mill at Mike Shula who got completely jobbed by Alabama b/c of the Bryant-descendants. He's young with something to prove, and his last name lends credibility.

That's an interesting scenario I haven't heard talked about very much. I think Shula would be a great hire for SMU.

That's an interesting scenario I haven't heard talked about very much. I think Shula would be a great hire for SMU.

He got such a raw deal at Alabama. The reason no one knows why Alabama didn't immediately do well under him was b/c Bama boosters were too proud to admit how far their program had dropped. Despite a HUGE talent difference, Bama fought to a bitter end with eventual NC titles Oklahoma in his first season. Bama had 0 depth b/c of probationary restrictions, and once injury piled up, playing in the SEC is well... not easy.

In year 3, when things were coming together, he took them 10-2 despite some KEY injuries on offense and went to the Cotton Bowl where they beat and outgained Texas Tech. Their D shut down a Texas Tech program that put up points on everyone. The next year EVERYONE knew that it would be a rebuilding year. They went 6-6 and were bowl eligible. Outside of 1 game they should have won (Miss St), they did what they were supposed to that year. Evidently, that wasn't good enough for Bama boosters -- and they paid $4 mill/year so they could lose to State again and then lose to freaking UL-Monroe (no offense, losing to a CUSA team I would find equally as awful for a team like Bama with the support and $ they have). Mike Shula righted the ship enough from the Fran era and Price embarassment for Saban to believe he can win in years 1 and 2. They stood toe to toe with LSU and beat Arkansas and nearly beat UGA with that talent. Alabama should have won their games or split them this year against State, UL-M, LSU, and Auburn, and Georgia. I'm not saying Saban won't recruit enough talent to where it doesn't matter (see Les Miles and Mack Brown) how he coaches, but Alabama's talent is not severely lacking like the press now makes it out to be and Saban did no better with it than did Mike Shula.

Sorry for the rant -- but as an Ole Miss fan who hates the fact that Bama went out and just paid to be good again (which maybe we did too hiring Nutt for $2 mill/year.. but that's on-par with every other conference mate FINALLY, save Bama who is doubling that), it irks me they fired a stand-up guy who was turning things around the right way in a conference where we have a hard time doing that (save maybe Richt, Brooks, & of course - Spurrier, who really does run a tight/clean ship and watch out for an injury free and experience Gamecock team in the future).

My only hope is that b/c Shula is the Jaxville Jaguars QB coach that he hasnt wanted to be contacted until the playoffs are over, and that all this June Jones talk is a smoke screen and that Shula will come to the Hilltop.

Also, despite probation, Shula never had an Alabama recruiting class outside the Top 15 or 20. With rankings being emphasized on class size, that was very impressive. He's young, and got a lot to prove after being fired wrongfully. He's had head-coach experience in the SEC -- and he had SUCCESS there. (That way no one says that Eddie the Ogre-on could take the job)

Just do it Turner and Orsini, hire Shula.

Also, despite probation, Shula never had an Alabama recruiting class outside the Top 15 or 20. With rankings being emphasized on class size, that was very impressive. He's young, and got a lot to prove after being fired wrongfully. He's had head-coach experience in the SEC -- and he had SUCCESS there. (That way no one says that Eddie the Ogre-on could take the job)

Just do it Turner and Orsini, hire Shula.

Agreed.

Mike Shula would be a smart hire for SMU, so it won't happen.

June Jones won't leave Hawaii yet. He's a coach that takes troubled kids and turns them into gridiron warriors. SMU, with its upper-crust student body and an administration that insists on maintaining a certain "quality" in their student body, is just not his element.

Edited by UNTflyer

Mike Shula would be a smart hire for SMU, so it won't happen.

June Jones won't leave Hawaii yet. He's a coach that takes troubled kids and turns them into gridiron warriors. SMU, with its upper-crust student body and an administration that insists on maintaining a certain "quality" in their student body, is just not his element.

There are 100 reasons to give on why one would think SMU won't land Jones, but that is just dumb.

I think Mike Shula would be a GREAT hire for SMU. Southern Mustang is quite correct on the raw deal he got at 'Bama. They eat their own young over there. While I don't think a lot of Francione, I do think 'Bama misled him when he was hired.

The newspaper article referenced by Harry in another thread makes it look like SMU is making a serious run at Jones. Not sure how that would work out. The culture between Hawai'i and SMU is totally different. Jome won't be ending conversations with "mahalo" on the Hilltop!

140000 miles to Hawaii? Is Ms. South Carolina teaching geography at SMU?

I was being sarcastic.. but I wish, I'd kindly ask her to tutor me in the location of the isle of "Aykindawannalaya" and ask her to locate it on the map drawn on my body... not funny, I know, I tried.

And yes, the reason SMU won't hire Shula is b/c it's smart - although the reasons aforementioned on why it wouldnt work at SMU arent what I had in mind.. it's not like any sports team at any preppy private school really fits in with the "stereotype" of the "normal student" there. But I can still hope until we hire the person I don't like..

So until then, HIRE SHULA