Hey Folks, Wish Us Well...

eulessismore

Well, I went over to Trinity tonight and paid my $35 to ride on one of two game buses with Trojan fans to San Antonio for the State Championship game (Class 5A Division I) against Converse Judson Saturday, Dec. 20 at 2:00 p.m. This is a rematch of the 2005 State Championship win against Converse Judson, which was the first ever state football championship for Trinity. Just based on some of the posts I've seen here, I was thinking of making a sign to the effect of "Mean Green fans love Robert Griffin and Samir Baker". Anyway, I'm looking forward to a great experience.

Well, I went over to Trinity tonight and paid my $35 to ride on one of two game buses with Trojan fans to San Antonio for the State Championship game (Class 5A Division I) against Converse Judson Saturday, Dec. 20 at 2:00 p.m. This is a rematch of the 2005 State Championship win against Converse Judson, which was the first ever state football championship for Trinity. Just based on some of the posts I've seen here, I was thinking of making a sign to the effect of "Mean Green fans love Robert Griffin and Samir Baker". Anyway, I'm looking forward to a great experience.

You know it should be Plano going to that game! :P (just kidding...good luck)

Good luck to Coach Lineweaver and his Trinity Trojans! He has built a dynasty at Trinity that is something to contend with. He has had the Trojans in 3 State Championship games in a row (I am going to say last years Carroll-Trinity game was the 2 best teams in the state) and continues to put great teams out there. I wish him and his team the best of luck, and please beat Judson!

Thanks for your support, everyone. It was a truly special and uplifting event for fans of the Euless Trinity Trojans football program. It was great seeing the well deserved media coverage of the Trinity program, and especially of Coach Lineweaver in the Friday DMN (I also heard he and the team were featured on Channel 8 news and the Fort Worth Star Telegram). It's really great to see such a wonderful person as Lineweaver achieve this success.

Special mention should be made of:

Samir Baker, who carried 40 times for 229 yards, helping eat up the clock in a scoreless second half.

Justin Runningdeer, a senior wide receiver who hasn't started, and hasn't played all that much, who caught the go ahead td pass just before the end of the first half. Lineweaver has been so good at bringing in guys who haven't played much, and getting key contributions from them; this was the second key reception for Runningdeer in the playoffs.

The entire defensive unit, which was giving up big plays early on, but figured out ways to make the big plays when it counted, especially on a big stop when Judson went for it on 4th down late in the game, sealing the victory.

I like the whole team, but I especially like Samir Baker, who will be overlooked as a recruit by many schools because of his size, but who impresses everyone who watches him play; GREAT cutback runner, IMO.

Edited by eulessismore

I like the whole team, but I especially like Samir Baker, who will be overlooked as a recruit by many schools because of his size, but who impresses everyone who watches him play; GREAT cutback runner, IMO.

He seems to have great vision. How tall is he, like 5-7? He was the reason Plano wasn't in San Antonio yesterday. :(

QUOTE(eulessismore @ Dec 22 2007, 11:57 PM)

He seems to have great vision. How tall is he, like 5-7? He was the reason Plano wasn't in San Antonio yesterday. :(

I'll try to make short work of posting this reply, as I have to deal with a plumber coming here shortly. I feel that I MUST respond to the vision, height, and other attributes mentioned by NT80 and others; I CANNOT say enough good about this kid right now!

The EulessTrinityTrojans website lists him as 5'6", 177 (they had him as 160 something at the start of the season; I don't know how often these stats are updated. I hadn't even thought about HIS vision, but I'm guessing you're right; somehow he makes the great moves on the field. A thing I've seen him do that I have not noticed other RB's do is to score by getting close enough to the goal line to simply extend the ball across the plane of the goal line, so he seems to have a great sense of where he is on the field. One thing a manager where I work has mentioned is the difficulty that defenders may have in seeing HIM, due to his being so much shorter than the offensive linemen blocking for him. Also I've noticed him being able to get through a smaller hole than any other back I've seen. Still, you have to see him, and see him perform to appreciate him; he's small, but is so muscular you have to think defenders wouldn't really like having to bring him down.

Here's some coverage of him from the DMN news coverage of the game:

All Trinity coach Steve Lineweaver could do, between grins, was marvel at what Baker accomplished on such a grand stage. "We had to go with our money, and Samir has been our money down the stretch and in the playoffs," Lineweaver said. "He is a tremendously conditioned athlete. He can take the hit and he can take all the extra running".

Baker didn't score but was selected the game's offensive MVP. Just another case of the 5-6, 177-pound underdog fighting the odds while leading his team to a state championship. "There's not much you can really say," Baker said. "My actions are mainly how I speak. A lot of people say I'm too small and that I can't do it. I just have to prove that my heart is way bigger than my body."

By the way, yesterday was his last game as a Trinity Trojan. I haven't heard or read anything about any colleges recruiting him.