Good-natured Ribbing Vs. "calling Out"

JesseMartin

I'm concerned that, at times, due to the fact that it can be hard to get across your intentions in printed words online, some of us might be getting pissed due to miscommunication.

For instance, you might be joking with somebody and they might think you're calling them out.

I, for one, don't like being called out, and expect that if you want to be a jerk, you should back it up in person. On the other hand, some might think that it is just the nature of discussion and doesn't really mean anything...trying to joke around but it comes off as what amounts to fighting words.

I'm not sure if I'm alone here, but I'd like to try to come to an accord as far as letting each other know if we're being good-natured about things or basically "getting in somebody's face". Not sure about the rest of you guys, but I grew up in a situation both social and familial where if you made it obvious that you were presenting a challenge, as opposed to just being jokingly mean to your buddy, it meant you were ready to go toe-to-toe.

It's one thing to beat somebody with superior intellect. However, it goes beyond debate when you make certain types of statements. It's also not cool if we get a bad attitude with another poster if they were just kidding with us, and I think I may have been guilty of that a couple of times.

Aside from using smileys and stuff, are there ways we can ensure our intent is a bit more obvious when we say something a bit negative?

Just trying to open things up a bit.

Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm concerned that, at times, due to the fact that it can be hard to get across your intentions in printed words online, some of us might be getting pissed due to miscommunication.

For instance, you might be joking with somebody and they might think you're calling them out.

I, for one, don't like being called out, and expect that if you want to be a jerk, you should back it up in person. On the other hand, some might think that it is just the nature of discussion and doesn't really mean anything...trying to joke around but it comes off as what amounts to fighting words.

I'm not sure if I'm alone here, but I'd like to try to come to an accord as far as letting each other know if we're being good-natured about things or basically "getting in somebody's face". Not sure about the rest of you guys, but I grew up in a situation both social and familial where if you made it obvious that you were presenting a challenge, as opposed to just being jokingly mean to your buddy, it meant you were ready to go toe-to-toe.

It's one thing to beat somebody with superior intellect. However, it goes beyond debate when you make certain types of statements. It's also not cool if we get a bad attitude with another poster if they were just kidding with us, and I think I may have been guilty of that a couple of times.

Aside from using smileys and stuff, are there ways we can ensure our intent is a bit more obvious when we say something a bit negative?

Thanks.

everyone say it with me...................................................................douche

Edited by LittleMeanGreenMan

Thanks.

We've never had such a "street" poster before. I hope I don't get knifed in the back at a basketball game.

PLEASE see the sarcasm here. Maybe we could just create a sarcasm section of the board? I'd be happy to moderate. Admins? Anyone? Hello?

Edited by Quoner

We should have a fight night.

All the classic arguments from the past face off in the octagon... you know to really back it up like a man!

first up....

Jaydub and Illuvius - Who said the arguments had to be made in the public eye and not thru PM's...

and your main event will be a royal rumble match.

The Basketball Board regulars versus the Football only crowd.... a fight for the ages....

CBL will be the person holding up the signs for each round since he likes wear a two piece and high heels.... Luckily my restraining order forced him to move to the land of the tea bag.... circa 1773

All the classic arguments from the past face off in the octagon... you know to really back it up like a man!

first up....

Jaydub and Illuvius - Who said the arguments had to be made in the public eye and not thru PM's...

The Basketball Board regulars versus the Football only crowd.... a fight for the ages....

CBL will be the person holding up the signs for each round since he likes wear a two piece and high heels.... Luckily my restraining order forced him to move to the land of the tea bag.... circa 1773

You forgot to add undercard matches:

FFR vs. Dodge 2007

UNTLifer vs. Fake Lonnie Finch

&

Quoner vs. PlummMeanGreen

first up....

I can't believe you're such a self-celebratory ass that you actually just texted me telling me to check out this thread...as if you needed a milkbone placed on your nose for delivering comedy.

That said...I look like an East German olympian in a one-piece swimsuit and you don't get calves like this wearing flats.

You forgot to add undercard matches:

FFR vs. Dodge 2007

UNTLifer vs. Fake Lonnie Finch

&

Quoner vs. PlummMeanGreen

I want Playmaker!

Plumm fights in a circle and you don't want the undercard to go for hours.

Can RV be the sexy card person between rounds?

I want Playmaker!

Plumm fights in a circle and you don't want the undercard to go for hours.

Can RV be the sexy card person between rounds?

I'll relinquish my position as card person to RV if I'm allowed to hop in the octogon with all of the pro-war, pro-gun conservatives I've argued with over in Non-UNT sports and then not throw a punch to prove a moral and philosophical point

I thought you didn't believe in war... only peaceful gatherings involving weed smoke?

I will simply hop in the octogon, rocking some Cat Stevens on my iPod, drinking some organic Acai juice and sit in full Lotus...while you rednecks spit yer tabacky at me and call me an anti-American pinko hippie.

It'll be just like Kent State circa 1970