Architectural Firms Submit Qualifications

NT80

Architectural firms submit qualifications

11:43 PM CST on Friday, December 14, 2007

DENTON – Eight firms have submitted reports detailing their qualifications to design a new football stadium in the Mean Green Athletic Village, according to information provided by the school Friday.

The reports are an initial step toward building a new stadium that would initially seat 30,000 to 35,000 and could be expanded to 50,000 seats. UNT plays at Fouts Field, a 30,500-seat facility that was built in 1952.

A university committee is expected to select a firm by late January. Among the eight firms are HKS, Inc., which is designing the Dallas Cowboys' new venue in Arlington, and Leo A Daly, which designed Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Brett Vito

Architectural firms submit qualifications

11:43 PM CST on Friday, December 14, 2007

DENTON – Eight firms have submitted reports detailing their qualifications to design a new football stadium in the Mean Green Athletic Village, according to information provided by the school Friday.

The reports are an initial step toward building a new stadium that would initially seat 30,000 to 35,000 and could be expanded to 50,000 seats. UNT plays at Fouts Field, a 30,500-seat facility that was built in 1952.

A university committee is expected to select a firm by late January. Among the eight firms are HKS, Inc., which is designing the Dallas Cowboys' new venue in Arlington, and Leo A Daly, which designed Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Brett Vito

WOW congratulations.... I hope that it is nice. Meanwhile Southern Miss expanded to add sky boxes which includes around 4,000 new seats giving us a capacity of 37,000. I just dont understand why we would take a 33,000 seat stadium to a 37,000 seat stadium. I do understand what you are doing with the new stadium and think that it is great.

Meanwhile Southern Miss expanded to add sky boxes which includes around 4,000 new seats giving us a capacity of 37,000. I just dont understand why we would take a 33,000 seat stadium to a 37,000 seat stadium.

It's all about the revenue that can be generated from sky boxes/suites.

In researching the design engineers and contractors for Fouts Field, the firm was named Dewey, Chitum, and Howe, SPE-PTC. I think they went bankrupt shortly after the Fouts job was completed.

After completing Fouts Field, I bet they couldnt get contracts to build stadiums anymore.

Seriously, I bet they went on to do what they were destined to do and that is building playgrounds in grade schools across the state.

I was able to locate original, never before released, construction photos of Fouts, including "on site brick making". This type of on the job fabrication gave way to modern construction techniques used today, such as tilt wall building construction.

MudBricks.jpg

MudBricks2.jpg

Edited by DeepGreen