Smu Is Really Jonesing For...

NCMeanGreen

"Jonesing?"

I know I'm probably the only poster on GMG.com that doesn't get "Jonesing" but I will still ask.............NCMeanGreen, help me on that one. :)

Any Poster On Most Any College Message Board's Career Scenario: If you have a family and you were presently making $100,000 per year and then..............another company swoops down and interviews you and then offers you a job at $1 million per year---do you say, uh, no? :blink: No, you don't say no, you can't say no, because you would say what every other NCAA D1-A head football coach (or anyone in business would say and that is):

"Well, you know I do have a family I have to feed and would really like to take good care of financially for their future" (and that is what you or anyone says or something very similar and who could really blame them? Our society still (for the most part) abides by the Golden Rule; you know, he who has the gold....rules?

First of all, I don't think SMU will come a-callin' for TDodge at this time and if they did it would be just another example of their kicking dust in our faces because well, because that is what they do concerning UNT and they know they can; yet if this wild scenario ever developed, UNT would need to do something very "un-North Texas-like" & match their offer and then take a very big hint for future reference:

Build a freakin' new football stadium ASAP & don't build it to where we can't get Big State U to play us in Denton because they tell us its too small!

Won't playing the Big Boys in a Big Time Stadium in Denton ultimately help us build a larger fan base than what we will build (fan base-wise) with a continual steady diet of SBC'esque schools on our future football schedules? NOTE: OK, we all know we will build what our monies raised will allow us to build, but we can still do the "college message board" thing & discuss it, right?:)

And please, please, please.............. do quit projecting UNT's future on UNT's past as far as determining what our new stadium's size should be. No one in a populatioin boom growth area like the North Texas Metroplex builds a stadium the same size of schools that are hours away from an area that has 6 million population such as the area our alma mater calls home...

....you know, like the size stadiums most of the schools in our conference have (or with some fellow SBC'ers with "Small Time Plans" to build theirs even smaller for crissakes')?

Also, don't get deceived or buy into all this "but it will be expandable to ???????" business because SBC schools won't ever have to expand their stadiums in this century so the moral of this story for U of North Texas along with those who can project beyond their nostrils and our most interesting athletic past is.......................build our new stadium out at the Mean Green Village large enough initially.

There are schools out there that are pro-active and then there are schools that are re-active. A whole host of schools North Texas used to be in other conferences with the last 50 or so years and who passed us by were very pro-active and now they are in leagues that we now only wish we could be in--its just a never-ending saga for us of UNT, isn't it?

FWIW & IMHO............if UNT could build our new stadium to seat 35-40,000 initially (preferably the latter, of course) that would be the most pro-active thing our school would have ever done in its 100 plus history for our intercollegiate athletic program in most all our lifetimes so another moral of that story is (once again): Build it large enough the first time.

Sorry, NCMeanGreen, didn't mean to temporarily hijack this thread into the dreaded new stadium talk.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

DMN reported SMU offered PJ more than 2 million dollars, that is unbelievable! GT got Johnson for slightly less, I guess the allure of playing for an established BCS school beat SMU out. But you have to give SMU and Steve Orsini credit, they took it to the wire with GT; and are sending signals they are ready to play hardball again. I followed the link and read the pony message board, and it really just looks like a handfull of their posters, would be in favor of interviewing Todd. Don't start blowing this out of proportions.

Edited by dodgefan

"Jonesing?"

I know I'm probably the only poster on GMG.com that doesn't get "Jonesing" but I will still ask.............NCMeanGreen, help me on that one. :)

Sorry, NCMeanGreen, didn't mean to temporarily hijack this thread into the dreaded new stadium talk.

Here you go Plumm: Definition of "Jonesing"

Also, not a problem on the hijack! :)

Wow...sounds like they would REALLY LOVE to have our Coach Dodge.

I am not sure he would even consider that job, though.

I'm not sure if "jonesing" is the proper term for wanting something which the"joneser" has never had! However, I'm glad others here have noticed that talk on the SMU board. And it won't just be a new stadium we'll need in the not-so-distant future; it's the ability to pay our head a competitive salary in today's market. How many others are starting to think that UNT fans need to start an independent group to support UNT football, similar to the "Razorbacks Foundation" for Arkansas or the "Football Project" for Wake Forest University. In other words, a boosters club for North Texas athletics towards which any of us GMG members would feel proud to contribute time, effort, and yes, money, towards. Such financial support would, as I see it, be available to fill unfunded needs which may arise in the next 2-5 years for stadium construction or head coach's compensation.

I think we'll see what kind of a man Todge is here. SMU assumes (as always) that all they have to do is throw money at Todge and he'll bolt for the hilltop...forgetting of course that they are a coach's graveyard, but that's for another day. We'll see if Todge truly believes his "I think we can win here" and "I want this to be the metroplex's team" talk or whether he really just wanted a D1 job and will now go where there is more money (but no greater potential).

This same talk was also very prominent on Baylorfans.com

A new stadium would be nice but paying a competitive salary for a coach is more important. I keep shouting it but no one listens.

New stadium=/ not in my lifetime

Todd Dodge= here and now with a Dennis Parker like first season ( losing by double digits to FIU & SMU=total failure in first year)

Ten million $$$$$$$$$$$$$ raised in a week for a FB coach= Todd & Riley to SMU in a heart beat and NT back to 1-AA

New stadium=/ not in my lifetime

Todd Dodge= here and now with a Dennis Parker like first season ( losing by double digits to FIU & SMU=total failure in first year)

Ten million $$$$$$$$$$$$$ raised in a week for a FB coach= Todd & Riley to SMU in a heart beat and NT back to 1-AA

I dont know if the above post was sarcasm or not, but is there any alumni out there who actually BELIEVES????? Shit, you guys sound like a bunch of high school girls talking about Zac Efron's (high school musical) latest breakup and how the couple was so cute and blah blah end of the world blah blah.... If Dodge has any character, he wont go anywhere. The stadium will come. Things will improve.

Stop being babies.

I never heard of any coach leaving after just one year but last year both Erickson (Idaho to Arizona State) and Graham (Rice to Tulsa) both did it. Money doesn’t talk – it screams.

I believe Dodge has more character than to come hear and leave after one year. I have to believe that he knows it would damage his reputation severely to attempt something like that. However, he is without a shadow of doubt a very could coach. We could have easily won 5 o six games this year and that’s with his learning curve in full effect.

There are a lot of dominos falling right now in the coaching world and sooner or later we could be affected. It troubles me that SMU can’t find a coach willing to take their program. The longer they search and get rebuffed, the more likely they are to start looking at a “project” coach like Dodge.

When I was at the SMU game this year, a random SMU fan came up to me and said “I sure wish we had your coach”. The more opposing fans think this way – the more we are in trouble of losing him unless we can come up with some money.

Am I the only one on the board that thinks that Dodge's stock is down right now? (opposed to this time last year) I understand that this was just idle talk from a few SMU posters but how could any D1 AD justify hiring TD after his first year at the college level?

On another note, how devoted and loyal would Dodge be to DC Mendoza if another school told him he had a 7 figure salary but he couldn't bring his Mendoza with him?