Why Would A Recruit Come To Unt?

MCMLXXX

Coach Jones was really positive I thought. I especially liked when he corrected Hank's question of "How did Josh White slip thru the cracks to come here" to which JJ replied "He didn't slip thru the cracks, he came to a special place".

Johnny Jones answered that question for every sport at our great university. UNT is a special place. This is a fact that seems lost on several posters on this board who continue to post negative comments over and over ad nausium.

UNT was/is a great school. I had a blast when I attended and I'm excited that my nephew from Nashville is so high on going there based on our tour of the campus this past summer. Our football program is what it is...it's a nice diversion from the busy work week. We've enjoyed listening to the games and attending them in person (my wife and former college roommate when to all of them).

We're going to get better and it's only going to be a matter of time. One only had to be at the Navy game to realize how much fun crazy, wide open football can be (plus the flyover before the game was incredible.) And the fact that we were dressed like stay-puff marshmallow men against Western Kentucky and saw that amazing win only makes lasting, really enjoyable memories.

I appreciate what TD is doing. He's bringing a whole new level of excitement to the university.

I never thought I would be this excited about a 2-10 team.

Quote/

Why Would A Recruit Come To Unt?

To get immediate playing time and to be close to home for those who live in the Metroplex.

All others must have their own personal agenda: ties to UNT, ties to SLC and coach Dodge and staff, or the Dodge mystique that is still strong in Texas High school football. Of course those kids who get only one offer to play D-1, decide on UNT or playing AA ball.

UNT was/is a great school. I had a blast when I attended and I'm excited that my nephew from Nashville is so high on going there based on our tour of the campus this past summer. Our football program is what it is...it's a nice diversion from the busy work week. We've enjoyed listening to the games and attending them in person (my wife and former college roommate when to all of them).

We're going to get better and it's only going to be a matter of time. One only had to be at the Navy game to realize how much fun crazy, wide open football can be (plus the flyover before the game was incredible.) And the fact that we were dressed like stay-puff marshmallow men against Western Kentucky and saw that amazing win only makes lasting, really enjoyable memories.

I appreciate what TD is doing. He's bringing a whole new level of excitement to the university.

I never thought I would be this excited about a 2-10 team.

:thumbsup:

Many recruits will come to UNT because we have a damn good school academic-wise and more of the best looking co-eds than any other Texas university (even the one in Austin).

Many recruits also know they won't get the usual D1-A HFC's "spirit-defeating" chatter of: "Well, you were a good one in high school, but you will be red-shirted your first year no matter how good you were." Coach Dodge (a known man of his word before he arrived in Denton) tells his recruits that if they can make the 1 or 2 or 3 deep lineup, they will get playing (or starting) time their true freshmen year (and he ain't winking or crossing his fingers when he says such).

I ran into a young man last night who played for Coach Dodge at Fossil Ridge HS. He is a TCU grad and owns a Parker Country eatery and his words from last night: "UNT will ultimately be glad they hired Coach Dodge because not only is he a great coach but he brings all the other intangibles to the table, too, ie, stark honesty, a no BS'er type of coach, a coach who instills discipline and makes his players feel good about receiving such".............. and other things the TCU grad told me I can't remember.

AND NOW A RESPONSE TO TOECUTTER'S POST...

Might it be that most likely many, many more outside the safe cyber-confines of www.GoMeanGreen.com may feel the same way as Toecutter does about the bright future of Mean Green football under Todd Dodge?

I was duly impressed with George Dunham and Hank Dickenson's MGRN post-game comments with their own confidence and mutual agreement that "UNT more than has the right man for the job that he inherited" (or something to that effect).

I'm with SUMG....let's add more years to Todd Dodge's contracts and have faith in him that he will get this defense thing solved, but lets him be the one who does it since few on this board will be doing any hiring any time soon.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I’ve got some family friends who grew up in Longview, but moved to Chicago for work. Two of their three children are in college now. They started up north, one someplace in Illinois and the other at some college on the upper peninsula of Michigan. At their Dad’s encouragement, during their spring break they came down and looked at a few schools in Texas. Us, Texas State, SFA and Baylor. Even though it was spring break and NO ONE was on campus to show them around, they picked NT. (OK, I did a tour for them myself but since everything was closed up tight for spring break, we only saw the inside of some of Denton’s bars!)

No only did these two kids decide to transfer for NT, but they brought two additional guys and a girl down from Chicago.

NT definitely makes a good impression on people.

Now, if I can just get them to stop playing beer pong during the tailgating and actually come inside for a football game!

Edited by VideoEagle

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the few female posters and politically correct Big Brothers on the board...I, as a younger man, was influenced by the plethora of tasty-looking trim at the UNT campus way back in 1990. I'm sure the trim around campus is still just as tasty-looking now as it was then.

Plus, there's a new coat of paint on the stadium. So, what's not to like?

Selling points for UNT football:

1. Come play for Coach Dodge's offense

2. Come play for UNT's defense and get significant playing time from day one

3. Stay in DFW and play in front of your family and friends

4. Play for a school that's made four bowl trips for winning its conference

There are some academic hooks too -- great music school, strong programs in many other areas. How good's our graduation rate for athletes?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the few female posters and politically correct Big Brothers on the board...I, as a younger man, was influenced by the plethora of tasty-looking trim at the UNT campus way back in 1990. I'm sure the trim around campus is still just as tasty-looking now as it was then.

Plus, there's a new coat of paint on the stadium. So, what's not to like?

As a recent grad, just over a year ago, as recently as 06 the girls were still fantastic. I think that is why i spent so long in school, I didn't want to leave! We do have some of the best looking co eds in al of tghe NCAA! no doubt! That is a great reason to come.

I am such a Chauvinist........... sorry

Also just as impiortantly, maybe more so, our acedemics are top notch, and we are developing great reputations nation wide in several up and coming diciplins, such as Hospitality Management.

All the reasons listed are valid, but right now, even with the program down a bit, kids will come here to play for Dodge. ...the "new car" smell will be gone in a year or two if he doesn't turn the program around (which I have confidence he will...) but right now he has his own political capital to spend, and is doing so for the betterment of our program. We're lucky to have him.

As some have already said...because it is a special place and a great place to go to school and play football. We have a great new coach with a VERY bright future ahead. If a kid wants to play, play under a solid coach and get a great education...the UNT is your place. Be part of something and help make UNT even greater.

I am with SUMG too...let's go ahead and extend Dodge's contarct NOW! I had a great time at the games...home and away (I went to the SMU and OU games)...and at the Dodge Radio show every Monday evening. Great guy, solid citizen and a great young coach. The players can and do relate to him and he can recruit in our own backyard. Bring in great local players and you sell a lot more tickets too! A real win-win in my book.

It's a great time to be part of the MEAN GREEN NATION..... :thumbsup:

Why would they come to NT? How about Mary Hutchinson and all the other countless hot NT coeds who have served as Avid Golfer's Cart Girl of the Month?

342_slide_153423.jpg

And in case you lost the thread to the others. Here it is too.

Rick

...thanks for reminding me of that thread. I'll be back in 3 minutes...

...OK, FINE!!! 2 and a half minutes...

Why would they come to NT? How about Mary Hutchinson and all the other countless hot NT coeds who have served as Avid Golfer's Cart Girl of the Month?

342_slide_153423.jpg

And in case you lost the thread to the others. Here it is too.

Rick

I know she probably didn't make it on a golf magazine centerfold, but our own sweet Norah (8 Grammy Awards & more to come) Jones should be in this collage of ex UNT co-ed's anyway....IMHO, of course. :rolleyes:

Why?

Great Head Coach and staff who not only coach the game of football but are teaching these young men values that will take them far in their careers.

Great opportunity to be on the ground floor of something big at UNT.

Coming from a small town (Nederland), who lost it's College football program, (Lamar University) Beaumont, it is great to be part of a growing program with a solid fan base and financial support.

The first year went by fast and the future bowl games can't get here fast enough.

Come to UNT because the future will be bigger than most can imagine...

Well at least that is what I see!

Edited by James Mosley

Why?

Great Head Coach and staff who not only coach the game of football but are teaching these young men values that will take them far in their careers.

Coming from a small town (Nederland), who lost it's College football program, (Lamar University) Beaumont, it is great to be part of a growing program with a solid fan base and financial support.

The first year went by fast and the future bowl games can't get here fast enough.

I like that one!!

Why?

Thanks Mr. Mosely. I hope Micah is as excited to be at NT as the knowledgable NT football fans are to have him playing for the MEAN GREEN.

A recruit should come to UNT if they find the programs that can fulfill their (1.) academic and (2.) athletic goals. Many who have succeeded at the highest level in their chosen careers have been educated at North Texas. There are many people here in Euless who believe that Todd Dodge will recruit many of the outstanding players at Euless Trinity and SLC. Of course, I like many posters on this board are disappointed we didn't do better this year, but I didn't really expect we would win more than 3. As to the character development mentioned by Mr Mosley, I think what is even more important (and yes, I do think this will contribute to our long term success on the field) is that Dodge has lived up to his reputation for instilling character in young men, and holding them accountable for their actions.

Why?

Can you believe this kind of enthusiasm from a Mean Green freshmen football player's dad even after slow beginnings this Fall in Mean Green Country?

One can only magine how it is going to be when Mr. Mosely's son and the rest of his teammates, ie, fellow MG believers and those who even sign on with Todd Dodge & Staff this Winter start stacking some wins on top of one another.

Can UNT become the next BCS Championship Series bowl team? I think many believe Coach Dodge would not shoot for lesser goals for Mean Green football, but it can't be done in one season. It took awhile for Boise State (and a few consecutive years of their being in the Top 25 for the first time in their history) to get their Bronco ship headed to the Big Waters of NCAA D1-A, but they had a definite plan and stuck with that plan.

Not easy for some to see it this very second, but I believe UNT can emulate Boise State and (now) UHawaii after a few years of Coach Dodge & Staff building a true foundation aimed for higher profile successes in Denton and I'd bet many, many, many of you..................that is, you who don't get caught up in all this "who do we fire today" or extremely narrow-minded and tunnel-visioned outlook w/o looking at the long term of what's really trying to be established at UNT; anyway, I'd bet many of you feel our football program can rise above the mediocrity of recent decades and do things like Boise and Hawaii have done and are doing now.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

AMEN, Mr. Mosely! :clapping: Glad to see your thoughts. I get a bit tired of all the folks who do not see that UNT is a great place to get a college education AND a great place to play D-I football...or any other sport for that matter. I am proud of my two degrees from UNT and glad to be part of the MEAN GREEN NATION. Also...sure happy to have you and your son with us!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Why?

Solid post. Looking forward to watching Micah continue his Mean Green career.

It's great to see Mr. Mosley (among others) so fired up about Mean Green football in the years to come. It shows the impact that Todd Dodge has had on this program in his short time here, and the future is certainly bright.

Mr. Mosley, we are so glad to have Micah here, and he had an outstanding year as a true freshman! Glad to see your support of Dodge and North Texas in general, and I am a believer like you!