Mendoza Rumors

H-towngreen

Found this on 5aTexasFootball.com, very interesting. Lists possible replacements, some interesting choices. Re-assign Mendoza and bring in one of these guys, Gary Joesph would be interesting, coming from a storied Houston Dynasty that rivals that of SLC. Just think of it in terms of recruiting, like how Todge is bringing in SLC players. He would be bringing in some top notch talent from Katy, and the surrounding Houston area. Thoughts and other possibilities:

New North Texas defensive coord.

Filed under: CollegeFootball NorthTexasEaglesCF RonMendoza

Nov 30, 2007 07:31 AM | 5 views [report abuse]

With all due respect to Ron Mendoza, but he is done as coordinator of North Texas Mean Green defense. UNT needs someone new, someone proven, someone who won't nullify Todd Dodge's great offense with his defensive lapses.

So here's the small list of candidates I just compiled:

Phil Bennett

He might have failed as head coach at Southern Methodist, but he is a proven and experienced defensive coordinator, having worked at Texas A&M and Kansas State. Getting him might be a reach for North Texas, since he might be looking for a coordinator job at a BCS-school, or even another head coaching stint. Also, he made $500,000 at SMU and would have to take a serious pay cut at UNT.

Mark Farley

Acting as his own defensive coordinator, Farley's defense at Northern Iowa allows opponents only 296.9 total yards and 15 points per game. He would be a great hire, but given the fact that he is coaching at his alma mater basically since 1986, he might not leave them for any school.

Mike Conway

Currently DC at California (Penn.) University, his head coach named him "one of the finest defensive coaches in the country." Farleys defensive units perennially rank among the best in NCAA Division II. However, a snag might be, although he's probably willing to move up the ranks, he has no ties to Texas (but at least to the Midwest, since he coached at Arkansas State and Kansas Southwestern).

Ronnie Jones

Currently defensive coordinator at Arlington (TX) Martin HS, but he IS experienced. He served in coaching staffs at all levels, notably as DC for the Arizona Cardinals in 1994 and '95. However, had some inglorious departure at West Texas A&M, after he was fired in April 2005 for moonlighting. So he might not be the best choice (in terms of personality) after all.

Gary Joseph

UNT already hired head coach Todd Dodge out of high school, so why not go the same way with the new defensive coordinator? Gary Joseph is the former DC and current head coach at Katy (TX) HS. His squad currently leads 5A Texas football in scoring defense, allowing the opponents only 6.8 points per game. He's currently making $79,240 at Katy, so money won't be an issue here (see Bennett).

Bennet sounds like he's on his way to Baylor, so I don't think that would happen, though It would be GREAT for UNT.

...don't need another High School coach on D.

...on THAT list, I like Conway and Jones.

On this front, I know Deloach was being thrown around as a possible return - what is his (and the rest of the coaching staff's) status at UCLA?

Ronnie Jones

Currently defensive coordinator at Arlington (TX) Martin HS, but he IS experienced. He served in coaching staffs at all levels, notably as DC for the Arizona Cardinals in 1994 and '95. However, had some inglorious departure at West Texas A&M, after he was fired in April 2005 for moonlighting.

Bennet sounds like he's on his way to Baylor, so I don't think that would happen, though It would be GREAT for UNT.

...don't need another High School coach on D.

...on THAT list, I like Conway and Jones.

On this front, I know Deloach was being thrown around as a possible return - what is his (and the rest of the coaching staff's) status at UCLA?

Euless Trinity had no trouble scoring, and won 31-0 against Arlington Martin 2 weeks ago. Maybe Jones is still moonlighting.

Edited by eulessismore