Consistancy

SAGreenFan

When will we rise above the Stigma of the name "North Texas". Even when we were winning in football any team we beat, they say they were pathetic against us, and say "Oh we suck because we lost to North Texas" and presume the're on the decline. Now its happening in basketball as well. OSU comments were the same on their board. I cant wait for the day when North Texas teams aren't seen as a pariah. But will that happen? Can we get our name to be one that makes people shake to face us, instead of being a fluff game?

Edited by SAGreenFan

I believe that we lost 12 games in a row to OSU before this last win. To answer your question, "when will we rise above the Stigma of the name 'North Texas'?", the answer is simple. If we should we beat OSU 12 times in a row and then lose the 13th game, then we will be saying "Oh we suck because we lost to OSU." It all comes down to the winning, not the name.

When will we rise above the Stigma of the name "North Texas". Even when we were winning in football any team we beat, they say they were pathetic against us, and say "Oh we suck because we lost to North Texas" and presume the're on the decline. Now its happening in basketball as well. OSU comments were the same on their board. I cant wait for the day when North Texas teams aren't seen as a pariah. But will that happen? Can we get our name to be one that makes people shake to face us, instead of being a fluff game?

Actually, the answer to your question is in your thread heading.... "consistency." You can't win one big OOC game and expect to be treated as if you deserved it. When was the last time we won a game against the Big12? Probably 4 years go or more against Baylor. Last year we had some nice OOC wins, for example, Charlotte, and then lost the next week to UTA and further faltered during conference play. Once we win on a regular basis, we will earn their respect and acknowledged as the better team after a win. Until then, we'll have to endure those type of comments. Truth is, we had a big win this season against a quality opponent in OSU, but if we lose to "lesser" OOC opponents or do not now dominate Sunbelt conference play, the win will be for not, at least in eyes of the basketball public. The win against the Big 12 will be defined simply as a fluke. The key, my friend, is consistency. A problem that plagues most Sunbelt teams.

Edited by chrisfisher

No fan message board that I have seen ever gives an opponent much credit for a victory. Losses are treated as one-car accidents, caused by poor coaching and poor play.

The Oklahoma State broadcasters consistently praised for the Mean Green during the Wednesday night game. The sportscasters were very well prepared and obviously knew NT well.

Here are some comments from Bryndon Manzer, the OSU color commentator:

1. "Before the game we talked with Tic Price. He was very hospitable to us. He kind of tried to sandbag how good his team was, but we knew better."

2.(After a time out when NT's 9-point halftime lead was cut to 3) "We are really close to the North Texas bench and I am very impressed with Johnny Jones. There is no panic in his conversation with his players. He has a very calm demeanor that will transmit to his players."

3.(NT defense) "They will get up in you® (face) and really pressure."

4.(NT offense) "I am not saying they are poor in the half-court set, but they are tremendous in the transition game. If you keep them in the half court set, you have a better chance for stops."

5.(White)

A "White is terrific at feeling his way...reading his way (through the defense)."

B "White is a jet that has to be contained before he can penetrate."

C"As a freshman, he has played the biggest, and he is the smallest."

6.(Wooden)

A "Wooden is a strong, big body. I promise you."

B (After Wooden scored while being closely guarded by Marcus Dove) "That's great defense, but Wooden is feeling it tonight."

C (Comment by play-by-play man) "Akeem Olajuan, Shaq....who is going to guard him?"

(followed by color man's comment) "The Cowboys have to keep him from touching it."

7. (After Stewart blocked a shot) "He (OSU player) did everything right, but Stewart came out of nowhere and pinned the ball to the boards." (It was also pointed out that Stewart led the team in rebounds in 3 of the 4 Sun Belt Tournament games)

8. (Willingham) "He is a very experienced, polished player."

9. "North Texas is emerging as as the top program in the Dallas metroplex and they are selling that to recruits."

I didn't hear any criticism of NT. The closest was a comment that if North Texas has a weakness it might be half-court perimeter defense.

The replay of the OSU broadcast is available on ESPN 360.

Edited by Buford_Julep

"North Texas is fierce on the glass and plays with a scary attitude in the paint."

Comment from the Sports Network comments/prediction for the UNT/Indiana State game.

I think the NCAA tournament appearance briefly captured the media's attention to our team. The win against OSU not only grabbed their attention, but raised a few eyebrows. The time is NOW to SEIZE their attention with a big time win against Indiana State and a a very good Missouri Valley Conference. The next 5 games against Indiana State, UTA, Western New Mexico, and New Mexico State are very winnable games. Not to put the horse before the carriage, but if we can win out in these next 5, and then upset University of Texas, we'd be 7-0 with a win over a nationally ranked program. I smell a potential Top 30 national ranking (assuming UT is still ranked when we play them).