Vizza Named Offensive Player Of The Week

MeanGreen61

Sun Belt recognizes Vizza.

Offensive Player of the Week

Giovanni Vizza (North Texas, Fr., QB)

Vizza set an NCAA FBS record for touchdown passes by a freshman and tied another record for touchdown passes in a half regardless of classification when he threw for eight touchdowns and 478 yards on 40-of-50 passing in the 74-62 loss to Navy. His eight touchdown passes is the most by any quarterback in the NCAA this season. His eight touchdown passes also set Sun Belt Conference and North Texas records and his 478 yards trails only teammate Daniel Meager in the record book who had 601 yards passing earlier this season. Vizza had seven touchdown tosses in the first half as North Texas jumped out to 35-17 lead midway through the second quarter. Vizza hooked up with seven different receivers, including Casey Fitzgerald 13 times and five touchdowns. He was picked off twice in the game.

Congrats to Giovanni and the entire offense! Great job by Coach Leftwich getting the lineman prepared and an awesome job of executing and playing extremely hard against the scrappy Navy D-Line and LB's! Receivers did a great job of catching the football and making things happen. Backs did a good job of running the ball and a nice job of pass protection. Total effort by the offense.

Great job Vizza! Set national freshman records and got Offensive Player of the Week!

I am stoked about my first opportunity to see Vizza and this offense in person come Thursday night!

You will not be disappointed to see this young quarterback and offensive unit "in person". The statistics are great, but feeling the excitement they bring to a game just makes you feel that whatever struggles we may go through, the future will make it all worthwhile.

Now maybe Don Giovanni will get the respect he deserves............

I may ask the Godfather to say a good word for my 9 month old daughter at the next home game. I urge all of you with young children to do the same.

Can we please get the band to learn the Godfather theme song for when The Don comes out onto the field?

I'm thrilled with the potential of Vizza at QB, but he this past game is the first game where his passing touchdowns (8) out-numbered his interceptions (2).

OU-2 ints, 1 passing TD

Ark-1 int

La-La-3 int, 3 passing TD

ULM-1 int, 1 passing TD

Troy-1 int, 1 passing TD

MTSU-4 int, 2 passing TD

He has had 2 rushing TD's. 1 against Ark. and 1 against MTSU.

So he is responsible for 17 TDs and 14 ints. Not exactly tearing it up on TD to Int. ratio. He has 5 starts under his belt and he is still locking onto one receiver. I can tell who the ball is going to from row 19 of section G about 75 percent of the time. I realize he's still a freshman and I'm not calling for his benching. I just wish he'd stop throwing as many picks as TDs.

Now maybe Don Giovanni will get the respect he deserves............

I may ask the Godfather to say a good word for my 9 month old daughter at the next home game. I urge all of you with young children to do the same.

Can we please get the band to learn the Godfather theme song for when The Don comes out onto the field?

Or how about the "Commandatore" music from Mozart's "Don Giovanni"?

The singer's melody would work great for a quick little song between big plays or something, haha: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nqiKzB5fs

Edited by Green Buckeye

I'm thrilled with the potential of Vizza at QB, but he this past game is the first game where his passing touchdowns (8) out-numbered his interceptions (2).

OU-2 ints, 1 passing TD

Ark-1 int

La-La-3 int, 3 passing TD

ULM-1 int, 1 passing TD

Troy-1 int, 1 passing TD

MTSU-4 int, 2 passing TD

He has had 2 rushing TD's. 1 against Ark. and 1 against MTSU.

So he is responsible for 17 TDs and 14 ints. Not exactly tearing it up on TD to Int. ratio. He has 5 starts under his belt and he is still locking onto one receiver. I can tell who the ball is going to from row 19 of section G about 75 percent of the time. I realize he's still a freshman and I'm not calling for his benching. I just wish he'd stop throwing as many picks as TDs.

Don't be so picky. For a true freshman he's doing pretty darn good. Plus he brings a lot a excitement and energy to the offense.

At least five picks were from tipped balls. I see his head on a swivel all the time. He checks off and looks off the safties well. Most of the picks were in 3rd and long, heavy pressure, and were better than punting the ball, imo.

He was in a zone against Navy. Notre Dame athletes and Charlies Weis are wondering how a true freshman dismantled Navy when all they did was throw for 145 yards.

A true freshman throwing for 80% has my attention. Also he had huge throws in 3rd and 4th and long.

Edited by Dodge2007