A Comment

emmitt01

First off, where were the naysayers and would be bandwagoners last night at the pit? All I've seen posted on this board for years is "when Johnny puts together a good product we'll come to the pit" or "you just wait, the basketball team will melt down." I see now (evidenced by last night) that many are ALL talk. We can take the time to give up our afternoon for football (to watch them melt down once again) but we can't be bothered to walk across the street! I believe Johnny's boys will bring us back to the tourney this year...I really do. I also believe, even more than that, that our fanbase won't deserve it if we can't be burdened to put forth the dedication and effort that they do. Disagree with me? Show up on Wednesday...and thereafter.

With that said, perhaps some of you just need more enticement. So, I will be continuing with my tradition of tailgating before the home games that I attend. Tip off is slated for 7pm I believe. So, I'll be out there by 5pm to grill some dogs, knock back a beer (or three) and talk NT baskeball with all comers. Feel free to join me.

First off, where were the naysayers and would be bandwagoners last night at the pit? All I've seen posted on this board for years is "when Johnny puts together a good product we'll come to the pit" or "you just wait, the basketball team will melt down." I see now (evidenced by last night) that many are ALL talk. We can take the time to give up our afternoon for football (to watch them melt down once again) but we can't be bothered to walk across the street! I believe Johnny's boys will bring us back to the tourney this year...I really do. I also believe, even more than that, that our fanbase won't deserve it if we can't be burdened to put forth the dedication and effort that they do. Disagree with me? Show up on Wednesday...and thereafter.

With that said, perhaps some of you just need more enticement. So, I will be continuing with my tradition of tailgating before the home games that I attend. Tip off is slated for 7pm I believe. So, I'll be out there by 5pm to grill some dogs, knock back a beer (or three) and talk NT baskeball with all comers. Feel free to join me.

Hey, slow down. We beat SMU and TCU in home BB attendance last night. We haven't done that too often in the past. Give people some time. I had two kids with me who wore out at the football game and couldn't make it to the basketball game. If it had been up to me alone I would have been there in a heartbeat. A number of folks in similar situations couldn't make a "double-header".

How many people didn't go to the game b/c they were pissed that we lost the FB game ??

I don't doubt that many were pissed. But what does this have to do with supporting OUR baskeball team on a night when we should have honored their blood, sweat and tears from last season?

I mean, I get that we go to the tourney every year so it's hard to make the effort....oh wait, this was the second trip in two decades! Yeah, no need to show up for that, even if we're mad. <_<

How many people didn't go to the game b/c they were pissed that we lost the FB game ??

Not pissed; exhausted. Even with football, there's things we still have to do around the house on Saturdays, and the time it takes for the drive each way, the game, and going out to eat afterwards, it's at least 7 hours. I can't really claim any particular negative emotion, except perhaps numbness. Even that can't really overcome the positives; we've found a great quarterback and have some great young guys already playing this year, not to mention some redshirts I'm confident WILL be great, such as Marcus King and Jordan Scoggins from here in Denton. Plus, I really believe in Dodge, Villarreal, Bataille, and the future of North Texas.

Well, I hadn't been to a game in probably 3 years, but I made it last night and have tickets to the OSU game. I used to attend every home game as a student (graduated in 01) and thought last night's attendance was far better than most games during my time....what did you expect vs. a NAIA team?? If we have less than 5k for the OSU game I'd start getting worried...

I went to the football game but b/c of kids I couldnt go to the b-ball game. I was suprised to see that 3100 showed up, I thought that was pretty good, was that not accurate ?

Usually the attendance for b-ball games before X-mas is usually around 1500-2000 so I thought 3100 was pretty good. I bet there will be at least 5K on Wed night.

How many fans do ya'll think the Pokies will bring ?? I know there are several 1000s of alumni just in the DFW area. Plus it's not a bad drive from Stillwater.

If there is less than 5 K , i will be embarressed for the university. We should pack the pit!!

Your last statement I have heard plenty of times, only to be embarassed. I will believe 5K when I see it.

Move alert: This thread is becoming a BB thread. Admins, feel free to do what's right.

Weeknight games are tough for people coming up from Dallas. To make a 7 p.m. tipoff by coming up I-35 E, you really have to be on the way no later than 5:30 or you risk getting stuck in traffic between the Bush and 121, or behind a fender bender in Corinth. Even then, I've been late leaving at 5:30. 7:30 would help, but probably raises concerns among opponents.

So how many folks will show up Wednesday? I dunno, but we'll be there.

OK, now to the suggestion part. How do we get the Pit rockin'? There's lots of ways. A big (read: expensive) jumbotron with cheer prompts would help ($$, anyone?). Until then, I suggest a little more organized mayhem.

Let's have someone (RV? someone else? I dunno) take the microphone onto the floor before every game and announce that:

1. Everybody in the house stands for the tipoff (have the announcer prompt it, as in football).

2. Everybody in the house throws the talon when we're making a free throw and goes nuts when we make one. The band does this consistently (best bb band in the country, by the way), as do the cheerleaders, dancers, and a few others. We can turn this into a habit, and then a tradition. Imagine the other team seeing thousands of talons up.

3. Everybody goes nuts when the other team is at the stripe.

4. Everybody yells "One!" or "Two!" or "Three!" depending on the points whenever we score.

5. Finally, specifically request that everybody in the house remain postgame for "Glory to the Green." It only involves waiting about two minutes. Until there really is a crowd and a traffic jam, there's just no excuse.

Somebody's going to call this contrived and corny. Stipulated. But so were the original compositions of the fight song and the alma mater, and the tradition of "And that's good for another Mean Green first down!" and everything else that fans now see as tradition.

The basketball team and coaching staff have risen to the challenge and are on the verge of greater achievements. Perhaps some work on the game experience would help them reach the goal.

Don't forget calling out the players on opposite teams that resemble Lisa Leslie or making barnyard animal noises at dudes sporting long frizzy beards. :lol: I was cracking up the whole time.

I tried to get Emmitt to yell to No 1 to show us his guns since he was wearing a shirt under his jersey.

PS. This is officially a basketball thread now.

I don't doubt that many were pissed. But what does this have to do with supporting OUR baskeball team on a night when we should have honored their blood, sweat and tears from last season?

I mean, I get that we go to the tourney every year so it's hard to make the effort....oh wait, this was the second trip in two decades! Yeah, no need to show up for that, even if we're mad. <_<

I went over for the game and was actually surprised myself at how many people where actually there. Maybe that was a low attendence, but when you consider all the people that had just sat through a 4 hour, disappointing loss, and add in an hour wait for the bball game to start against an NAIA school, I would say that turnout was pretty good. We sure weren't getting 3100+ when I was going to the games as a student (at least I don't remember getting that many).

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Don't forget calling out the players on opposite teams that resemble Lisa Leslie or making barnyard animal noises at dudes sporting long frizzy beards. :lol: I was cracking up the whole time.

Yeah, that was sweet. People were calling out "Mor-EESE!" too. And the guy who was listed at 6-7/240 but weighed at least 20 pounds more than that was asked how the baby was doing.

That said, Les-leeee (Leslie Malone, 6-7/200 jr forward) was pretty good, to give him credit.

The new and improved gameday traditions could be printed on the program or handed out, too. Anything to get them ingrained.

Guest JohnDenver

Or how many were just plain exhausted from drinking (the liquid depressant) since 9am, jumping up and down for every touchdown and being emotionally drained every time Navy touched the ball?

My wife was coming off call Saturday. I was lucky to even have her at the game... no way in hell could she have made it to the game afterward.

3100!?!? What was football attendance? 25K? So 12% of you managed to walk the 500 yards from your Fouts to the Pit? THATS PATHETIC...and I could care less about drunken exhaustion, Saturday responsibilities or whiny kids/wives...anybody who posts on this board, claims to be a loyal UNT supporter who was able to go to the football game has a responsibility to go to the basketball game as well...plan accordingly early in the day...tell the kids or the wife that you need to be ready for a long day...go to Home Depot on Sunday instead...start drinking at 9:30 rather than 9:00...but there was no reason for the Pit to be anything less than 3 quarters full.

People on this board bitch about a lack of traditions...well they're wrong...UNT has a proud tradition of apathetic fans who like to complain about the apathy of other UNT fans.

3100!?!? What was football attendance? 25K? So 12% of you managed to walk the 500 yards from your Fouts to the Pit? THATS PATHETIC...and I could care less about drunken exhaustion, Saturday responsibilities or whiny kids/wives...anybody who posts on this board, claims to be a loyal UNT supporter who was able to go to the football game has a responsibility to go to the basketball game as well...plan accordingly early in the day...tell the kids or the wife that you need to be ready for a long day...go to Home Depot on Sunday instead...start drinking at 9:30 rather than 9:00...but there was no reason for the Pit to be anything less than 3 quarters full.

People on this board bitch about a lack of traditions...well they're wrong...UNT has a proud tradition of apathetic fans who like to complain about the apathy of other UNT fans.

Man Crush Initiated...

Wow, so many excuses. My brother drove from Abilene to see the football game, then went over to the basketball game and when he realized he was getting out of the basketball game EARLIER THAN WE USUALLY GET OUT OF 6PM FOOTBALL GAMES, he went ahead and drove home to Abilene. And people were tired and couldn't make the basketball game? I now have no hope for any kind of substantial support for basketball. Unless maybe we make the Final Four or something.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I went over for the game and was actually surprised myself at how many people where actually there. Maybe that was a low attendence, but when you consider all the people that had just sat through a 4 hour, disappointing loss, and add in an hour wait for the bball game to start against an NAIA school, I would say that turnout was pretty good. We sure weren't getting 3100+ when I was going to the games as a student (at least I don't remember getting that many).

I agree about the grueling four hour loss and the hour's wait detracting from the basketball game but I think that those that did make the trek were well rewarded. One thing though, Cameron University is nat a NAIA school. It is a Division II NCAA college in the Lone Star Conference.

slow down man. there were 3100 people at the basketball game. i have been to games that there hasn't been 300 so let's be happy with progress. we will have a huge attendance against OK State and people will start knowing that we are for real....

Yes, last year for Cameron we only had about 1100 in attendance. The opponent had much to do with the lower than some thought turnout. I also agree that many were "worn out" from the football game or couldn't do both and had to make a choice due to other obligations (spouse in some cases). I attended both, and loved it, but it was a looong day.

I went to the football game and then a basketball game broke out! I would have been happy with a crowd of 3,100 for Cameron if it was a standalone game. The PA announcer kept promoting the game throughout the football game. (the raising of the banner) JJ and the entire team went on the field to a nice ovation. The 1 hour delay was perfect for me to go grab a New York Sub. It was also on a Saturday in which many of the 26,000 had to walk pass the Pit to get to their cars.

It was a long day but one that I planned for. How often are we afforded a chance to watch football and basketball back to back? Best of all, it was free (for attending the football game) UNT basketball (this year) is definately the better product) I guess we'll just have to go kick some OSU's ass to gain greater respect in and around Denton.

I went to the football game and then a basketball game broke out! I would have been happy with a crowd of 3,100 for Cameron if it was a standalone game. The PA announcer kept promoting the game throughout the football game. (the raising of the banner) JJ and the entire team went on the field to a nice ovation. The 1 hour delay was perfect for me to go grab a New York Sub. It was also on a Saturday in which many of the 26,000 had to walk pass the Pit to get to their cars.

It was a long day but one that I planned for. How often are we afforded a chance to watch football and basketball back to back? Best of all, it was free (for attending the football game) UNT basketball (this year) is definately the better product) I guess we'll just have to go kick some OSU's ass to gain greater respect in and around Denton.

You and I would be such good friends...

What'd ya go with at NY Sub? I typically go with either the number 8 or number 12...no oil and vinegar, no tomatoes, add mayo...but theres a lot to be said for the Turkey Pastrami as well. Man I miss that place