Unt Completes Dodge Investigation - Official Notice

chrisfisher

This was sent through the UNT Mail System:

As you likely know, the university administration has investigated allegations made by three student athletes against members of UNT’s football coaching staff.

The university took the students' allegations seriously, and immediately launched an investigation that now has been completed. The investigation revealed no discriminatory behavior, nor any pattern of racial bias in the decision-making and communication of the UNT football coaching staff, nor any within the football program as a whole. The investigation also concluded that one of the football players was suspended not for the use of his speech or slang, but rather for behaviors that violated the conduct expected of team players.

Head Football Coach Todd Dodge and our entire football coaching staff continue to have my unwavering support. When I hired Coach Dodge, I knew him to be a person of the highest caliber and character. I find the goals and standards he has established for his football program to be exemplary, and I am pleased with the progress that he has made in applying them here.

I am confident that the commitment and abilities of our athletic leadership will elevate the university’s football and other programs. I hope each of you will join me in continuing to support the mission of our athletic programs to develop the academic and athletic talents of our students.

Gretchen M. Bataille

President

Edited by chrisfisher

Could there be any better way to support Coach Dodge, the players, and our school than to fill Fouts Field Saturday, cheer the Mean Green enthusiastically, and stay until the last North Texas athlete or musician has left the field?

You're forgetting that you also need to support the basketball team following the football game.

VINDICATED!

NOW, let's play some football!

Dr B. thanks for the diligent review and rapid response to emphasize what we new would be the obvious outcome. We have watched and listened to Coach Dodge over the past months and we new it. However, you were obligated to do this the right way and we appreciate that! You and coach Dodge have been the best and will remain the best decision a regent could have made! We will follow your lead!!

Now, amen brothers...Let's get ready for some football!!

PS, can we please have a new stadium for Christmas?? :wub:

QUESTION IS will the DRC put this story on their front page? I think not.

From the DRC's recent showing, I'm not really sure I care what they do or say, even where they say it. I don't read the paper and I bet so few do that whatever they say won't matter much to any of us anyway. Let them live in their own uncirculated world making futile attempts at being a valued news vehicle. The very best news and communcation network in recent years has proven to be the talk radio channels and blogs like these. Unfortunately, what's a newspaper for any more??? We have our own communication here which has grown 10 fold recently and George Dunham who is not afraid of the truth. So,... Belo-out baby!! You'll have to work to earn my support again!!! :angry::angry:

Edited by GreenExes

Just spoke to a fellow alum who said the DRC has been working hard to find a place for Dr. B's response and he said for us to look for something like this in next Monday or Tuesday's edition:

DENTON RECORD-CHRONICLE CLASSIFIED SECTION (Page 14) :blink::rolleyes::angry:

As you likely know, the university administration has investigated allegations made by three student athletes against members of UNT’s football coaching staff.

The university took the students' allegations seriously, and immediately launched an investigation that now has been completed. The investigation revealed no discriminatory behavior, nor any pattern of racial bias in the decision-making and communication of the UNT football coaching staff, nor any within the football program as a whole. The investigation also concluded that one of the football players was suspended not for the use of his speech or slang, but rather for behaviors that violated the conduct expected of team players.

Head Football Coach Todd Dodge and our entire football coaching staff continue to have my unwavering support. When I hired Coach Dodge, I knew him to be a person of the highest caliber and character. I find the goals and standards he has established for his football program to be exemplary, and I am pleased with the progress that he has made in applying them here.

I am confident that the commitment and abilities of our athletic leadership will elevate the university’s football and other programs. I hope each of you will join me in continuing to support the mission of our athletic programs to develop the academic and athletic talents of our students.

Gretchen M. Bataille

President

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/295678.html

Posted on Wed, Nov. 07, 2007

Dodge, staff at UNT cleared of racial allegations

By TROY PHILLIPStphillips@star-telegram.com

586-Dodge.embedded.prod_affiliate.58.jpgSTAR-TELEGRAM / RON JENKINSUNT

Dodge and his staff were cleared this week by the university of racial allegations. University of North Texas officials released late Wednesday the findings of an investigation into allegations of racial bias against head football coach Todd Dodge and members of his coaching staff.

UNT found that two suspended and one former player -- all of whom filed a joint complaint last week with the Texas NAACP -- were not victims of inequitable treatment based on race or any other reason.

Dodge, who couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday, said Tuesday the matter was closed as far as he was concerned.

"I've talked to my team and let them know what I thought," Dodge said. "It was important they know how it made me and my coaching staff feel. We won't talk about it anymore."

In a statement released by the university, UNT president Gretchen M. Bataille said Dodge and his staff "continue to have my unwavering support."

"The university took the students' allegations seriously, and immediately launched an investigation that now has been completed," Bataille said. "The investigation revealed no discriminatory behavior, nor any pattern of racial bias in the decision-making and communication of the UNT football coaching staff, nor any within the football program as a whole."

Bataille went on to say, "The investigation also concluded that one of the football players was suspended not for the use of his speech or slang, but rather for behaviors that violated the conduct expected of team players."

One of the players bringing the complaint, cornerback Desmon Chatman, was suspended more than a month ago by Dodge for missing a workout. Chatman, who was interviewed as part of the investigation but did not submit a written statement to the university, claimed initially that his punishment didn't fit the crime.

According to UNT's findings, Chatman was suspended for "missing the practice and misrepresenting his whereabouts during the practice session."

Cornerback Dominique Green, who first notified the NAACP, a newspaper and several television stations, was suspended Nov. 4 after refusing to stop using profanity after benching the night before against Middle Tennessee, Dodge said. Green said that his use of the word "hood" -- urban slang for a neighborhood -- prompted his suspension after assistant coach Clayton George disapproved of the word.

Dodge and George said Green's "insubordination and the accumulated instances of poor attitude" were the reasons for Green's suspension.

It was the second strike for Green this season. He didn't play in UNT's first two games for disciplinary reasons. Not long after returning, he was elevated from a backup to a starting position.

Former player Gary Oubre, another cornerback, joined the complaint late last week.

NAACP officials postponed two campus visits with the three players last Thursday and Monday.

Troy Phillips,

Edited by NT03

I really hope that any active player involved in these total BS allegations is immediately booted off the team, and loses their scholarship for the disgrace they tried to bring to the team and school, but only brought to themselves.

I really hope that any active player involved in these total BS allegations is immediately booted off the team, and loses their scholarship for the disgrace they tried to bring to the team and school, but only brought to themselves.

I think this is an excellent time to just move on regarding this topic. Let Dodge and Co. work it out with the 3 players. At this point, the matter has been absolved.

2nd that, they should now have to pay their own tuition for bringing up some serious allegations and attempting to shed a negative light on our University and Football coaching staff.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The story just aired on both Channel 11 (first), and then Channel 8 news. It was basically a reading of the contents of Dr Bataille's official notice. Should I be bothered that Channel 11 referred to our President as "Dr. Bastille"?

Yes, I think that we should storm them.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The story just aired on both Channel 11 (first), and then Channel 8 news. It was basically a reading of the contents of Dr Bataille's official notice. Should I be bothered that Channel 11 referred to our President as "Dr. Bastille"?

Yes, and I think that we should storm them.

I'm sure he does too. Who will volunteer to send this to the NAACP?? OK, OK, I'll be careful until they are done with their little Sharpton Shuffle and the Jesse Jig. Dr. B., don't you give them any money! We need it for the stadium :rolleyes:

Can we just move on without further bigoted comments?