Ffr's Bi-annual Reminder

FirefightnRick

With the time change this past weekend it's time again to update the batteries in your homes' smoke detectors. Do this twice each year, the time change is your reminder. If you rent your landlord MUST supply your residence with one. But if he/she is difficult to deal with, don't wait. Go out and buy one and install it per the instructions inside the box.

Folks, this is the easiest, cheapest way to insure you and your family's safety in your home while you are sleeping. A tragedy occurs somewhere in the U.S. all the time and it doesn't have to. Talk with your kids about a fire safety plan, and practice it. Discuss the dangers of playing with matches/lighters. Always know of two ways out of the house, stay low to the ground if there is smoke in the home and have one meeting place once outside the home(a mailbox, tree, neighbors house etc). Never return, for anything. Never!

And just so this post is taken seriously:

firewith19s_500x368.jpg

This woman and her entire family were saved by a working smoke detector that woke them up while taking a nap during the afternoon. It was the last working fire my company and I made with my fathers' company, Engine 19 before he would retire in December '03.

avenuemfire1_474x277.jpg

This family's fate was the result of a non working smoke detector(NO BATTERIES). It was my second year at 14's and we were third on. Bad night. Don't let it happen to you.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Thanks. Good advice.

We have detectors around the house. do you recommend testing by pushing the button, or would blowing cigar smoke in them be a superior test?

One thing I don't like about my house in this regard, is that my bedroom ceiling must be 20 feet or so above the ground. The smoke detector is in the middle. I can't even get an extension ladder to change the batteries. I think I will be forced to rent scafolding or something like that. That is a bit of a deterent for that smoke detector.

We have detectors around the house. do you recommend testing by pushing the button, or would blowing cigar smoke in them be a superior test?

My wife says to just pull the battery out and lay my tongue across it. If I yelp, then they're still good.

A couple of burritos at Taco Bell, and I can give it a good test. :P

Thanks. Good advice.

One thing I don't like about my house in this regard, is that my bedroom ceiling must be 20 feet or so above the ground. The smoke detector is in the middle. I can't even get an extension ladder to change the batteries. I think I will be forced to rent scafolding or something like that. That is a bit of a deterent for that smoke detector.

same issue in my house and it's a pain to change. i don't have anything tall enough to get to it either...hmmm...what to do????

same issue in my house and it's a pain to change. i don't have anything tall enough to get to it either...hmmm...what to do????

Pay somebody

Put up a smoke detector that is easier to get to or

put you life and families life in danger.

I never thought about doing this when the time changes. Good idea. Can I post this on my blog?

Please do.

For those with the high-ceiling detectors, more than likely they are hard wired. If so they should have battery backups inside them as well. If you can't get to them to change these, and they do need to be changed just like the non hard wired detectors, then install secondary ones where you can reach.

Rick

Please do.

For those with the high-ceiling detectors, more than likely they are hard wired. If so they should have battery backups inside them as well. If you can't get to them to change these, and they do need to be changed just like the non hard wired detectors, then install secondary ones where you can reach.

Rick

Thanks for the info and answer. Frankly, I thought you might be thinking, "look stupid, if those pictures weren't enough, I don't know what is!" But, you either were not thinking that or are too polite! :)

Yes, they are in fact wired, but I should get them changed even if they are high up. (I have an idea to get to them.) A secondary is also good idea. Could put it near a wall where the extension ladder could be used.