Cbs 6pm News Coverage

scotty474

The opening story on the 6PM CBS news covered racism allegations. CBS was on campus and interviewed 8 players supporting coach Dodge. Craig Roberston, Evan Fentriss, Montey Stevenson, and Tony Teveras spoke on camera. I did not recognize the others. Dominique Green did speak too. Green said it (being racism) was direct at a couple players, then corrected himself and said it was directed at more than a couple players.

Montey Stevenson said those players were the problem and the truth was bound to come out. He went on to say they were doing things they were not suppose to be doing and now they are gone and we (being the remaining players) are fine. Tony Teveras said it best, "All he wants to do is make us better men and I commend him for it. He is a great coach."

The reported pointed out that one of Dodge's children has an African-American God parent. The coverage was pretty balanced. This whole incident is unfortunate. This is my first and only post on this topic, but felt like the board would like to know. I am sure someone will post the link to the story later. I doubt it is on CBS yet. I will check and post link if so.

BEAT NAVY!

The story was very well done. A reporter introduced the story from just outside Fouts Field. The interviews seemed to have been done earlier on the deck area at Fouts. The young men were both black and white. They were very articulate and represented the university and the athletic program very well.

Good story. I really liked Evan Fentriss' comments on the situation. Everyone should watch this clip.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a relief to hear what the players had to say. This does not mean the cloud is completely lifted, but I don't think anyone who saw that story could remain convinced that Coach Dodge and Co. are racist.

The story was very well done. A reporter introduced the story from just outside Fouts Field. The interviews seemed to have been done earlier on the deck area at Fouts. The young men were both black and white. They were very articulate and represented the university and the athletic program very well.

Good story, the DRC should take notes. They are still talking about volleyball playoffs. :P

Good story, the DRC should take notes. They are still talking about volleyball playoffs. :P

Now NT80................wouldn't the "decision-making" staff over at the Denton Wretched-Chronicle say that those volleyball playoffs were of utmost prime interest to the majority of its circulation? :rolleyes: I lived in Denton awhile and read that paper daily, and I've never been sure they ever quite knew what the majority of its circulation thought was of front page material, specifically sports-wise. Sometimes wondered if any of them ever played the game, quite frankly.

I do know that UNT has the largest constituency of any other group in Denton, but sometimes the only thing some of the old nestor proprietors up there understand or are ever interested in when it comes to UNT is the MasterCards and Visa cards they hope all the Mommies & Daddies send their kids up to Denton with as new UNT students.

Wouldn't be so bad a trade-off if they (the city's movers and shakers who wield influence) would ever once in a while let go of about $15-$20 of such for an occasional visit to Fouts Field. When that starts to happen em mass in Denton, Texas, America..............then both the city and its largest employer win.

I really think that now that the tide has turned on this story and we are getting positive coverage with multiple players coming to defend Dodge that this story has turned into a positive for recruiting. Think of all the coverage this has gotten. NT is fresh in everyone's mind and now anyone that sees this story sees the bond that Dodge has with his players and what parent or player would not want that?

I was just thinking about that. Thanks for confirming :)

Yeah - I like how he simply added to the the grocery list of things the team has rules about - No hats...No cell phone in the locker rooms or meetings....Shirts tucked into pants, etc etc etc. (I'd guess that list is a mile long) When people hear it said like that, it clears it up. When DG tells the story, he just puts the spin on it like he was just getting razed about his hat, almost as if he was singled out.

I cant thank those guys enough. They probably dont even realize how much they just helped the situation by granting that interview. The team just proved that Dodge's plan to build character in players is working! It really shows they're understanding what it means to come together as a TEAM. Thanks guys!

Give em Hell on Saturday!

Edited by trud1966

The part I thought made TD sound like a great guy to have as a coach was what Evan Feintriss had to say about not releasing what the players issues were to the public/media and not throwing them under the bus. TD said he wouldn't do something like in one of his first interviews as our head coach and he seems to be true to his word.