Navy Vs. Unt

Dodge2007

OK, CG, you brought up the comparisons....and so I bite.

Revised, Tuesday AM

First of all, IMH (and others) O, Darrell L. Dickey could not hold John Hayden Fry's jock strap yesterday, today or in the future and last time I checked, the producer of DD Ball has not had a D1-A HFC's career that will likely earn himself a spot in the College Football Hall of Fame.

You mention some schools Fry played that were in the Missouri Valley Conference, ie, a conference (with teams) that had been playing NCAA D1 football longer than most the SBC cupcakes (some of which just turned D1-A from D1-AA) and SBC schools of which in our conference's early years we many times just barely beat.

Tennessee Was Not A Big Win? Think Again...

Last time I checked, we also haven't had any Top 20 (now Top 25) teams since we had a coach whose team won a game over Tennessee. NOTE: The 1975 UTennessee Volunteer football team which we beat in Knoxville finished 7 & 5 which means that it would have been a bowl team in today's NCAA D1-A. Might This Finally Be A Case Closer For The Handful of You Who Want To Continually Revise the Hayden Fry Era In MG Country--If Not, It Should Be.

EAT EM' UP! MEAN GREEN! Should we also mention that that same UNT team which beat Tennessee also (stumbled around, I suppose) and beat the University of Houston 28 to 0 and that the very year before the Cougars went to the Cotton Bowl (with much of the same talent we beat them with) while they went major bowling in their first official year in as a Southwest Conference member. Hmmmm? Wonder if Fry had gotten his wish & UNT had been in the SWC in 1976, then which of the 2 teams would have gone to the Cotton Bowl?

FWIW.....IMHO (and I'd bet many others who have witnessed both eras)...............Fry's better teams would have schooled most of DD's better teams just as veteran coach Howard Schnellenberger showed how it could be done with his (then) 5 year old football program which did it his first 3X's to play UNT with his very first win over a DD-coached MG football team during a year we even went to a bowl game. We lost to FAU this season with players largely recruited by............oh, never mind, some will just never understand that one, either. Anyone else wonder why we are where we are? Can we start with a hardy handful of (still) way too many "we never expect or demand too much in Denton" types we have as alums? :(

That's about all I have to say about this subject...............................................but FWIW............ all that was yesterday and yesterday's gone.

Support Todd Dodge Now When The Going Is Tough Because Isn't It Always Quite Easy To Do Such When It's Not?

Disappointed in length, but dizzying display of colors in the font.

Where Plumm fails in one regard he makes up for elsewhere.

Edited by greenminer

Disappointed in length, but dizzying display of colors in the font.

Where Plumm fails in one regard he makes up for elsewhere.

It's almost like balancing a chemical equation - the color to length ratio always in equilibrium. We need a mathematical model for this - perhaps we could use Calculus to one day figure out post length and color balance before it is even written.

Navy favoured by 15.5

What do you think of the spread>

Considering Navy just ended a 43-year losing streak and beat Notre Dame (even when they're down) on the road, and considering we're 1-7, I'm not surprised at the line. Navy has a very good offense and our defense has given up a lot of points. But coming off that extraordinary overtime high last week, I wouldn't be surprised if they're a little flat this week.

Whether Navy is flat or not, this is a great opportunity for the Mean Green. This is not OU, not a team that is clearly athletically superior, but it is a very good, bowl-quality team. North Texas is home, circling the wagons around their embattled coach, and hopefully buoyed by a big, vocal crowd. This is could be one of those moments when a team steps up and makes its own statement.

I'm hoping this game will be a little like the New Orleans Bowl against Cincinnati. That was a statement game for that group of athletes, who stated very clearly that they did belong in a bowl game and should be taken seriously.

Man, how much would this help this program if the Mean Green could win this week? A boost to the coaches, the team, the fans, recruiting, everything. What a great opportunity.