Drc Vizza Working Through The Hits

OldTimer

Football: UNT's quarterback working through the hits

12:17 AM CDT on Thursday, October 25, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Giovanni Vizza found a new way to add to his growing reputation at North Texas as a tough guy last week in the Mean Green's loss to Troy.

UNT's starting quarterback kept getting up, which was a whole lot more difficult than it sounds against the Trojans.

Troy sacked Vizza nine times and hit him more often than that in what UNT's players and coaches described as one of the more brutal poundings they have seen a player take in the Trojans' 45-7 win.

"Giovanni took a wicked beating," UNT head coach Todd Dodge said. "He earned a lot of respect from his teammates because he got knocked around and never laid out on the field. He's a tough cat."

That trait could prove to be a key asset for Vizza again this week in UNT's game against Middle Tennessee at Fouts Field. MTSU defensive end Tavares Jones leads the Sun Belt Conference with five sacks, while fellow defensive end Erik Walden ranks sixth nationally among active players with 20.5 career sacks.

The duo helped the Blue Raiders post a school record nine sacks last week in a win over Arkansas State to push its season total to 21, the best mark in the Sun Belt.

And if that challenge wasn't big enough, UNT starting guard Tyler Bailey is out this week because of the lingering effects of a car accident he was in before the Mean Green's loss to Louisiana-Lafayette on Oct. 6.

Vizza could be the perfect player to face that daunting set of circumstances when the Mean Green looks to bounce back from its loss to Troy – a defeat that tied for its worst ever in Sun Belt play.

"I didn't think about it," Vizza said of the pounding he took against Troy. "I knew I had to get up. I feel like I can take a hit or even deliver one. I try to be tough and not be a stereotypical quarterback."

Vizza played linebacker throughout his football career until his coaches at San Antonio Alamo Heights made him give up playing defense before his freshman season.

At 6-1, 195, Vizza is nearly as big as some of UNT's running backs and isn't afraid to take on tacklers. He is UNT's third-leading rusher with 123 yards, despite being sacked 15 times in three games since becoming the Mean Green's starter against ULL.

“Vizza is a tough kid,” Troy coach Larry Blakeney said. “He stood in there, stood tall and delivered the ball.”

That toughness has UNT's players and coaches convinced that Vizza will not only survive the beatings he has taken the last few weeks, but also find a way to thrive while playing behind an offensive line that starts two sophomores and two redshirt freshmen.

"I could tell one time that he came off the field that he was hurting, but he kept everyone in line and stayed positive," said wide receiver Sam Dibrell, one of Vizza's former high school teammates. "Even when he is hurting he is going to try to do his best. … I respect him a lot for what he does."

Bailey out for MTSU game

Dodge said UNT will have a few options for how to handle replacing Bailey in its game against MTSU this week.

UNT could move right tackle Adam Venegas to guard and put backup Robert Peachey in at right tackle. Backup guard Chad Rose could also replace Bailey in the Mean Green's lineup.

Bailey missed UNT's game against ULL after the accident, but started the Mean Green's last two games. The sophomore did not finish UNT's loss to Troy on Saturday.

Briefly …

Junior cornerback Dominique Green did not practice Wednesday because of a sprained left ankle. Dodge described the move as a precautionary measure and expects Green to play against MTSU.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

This guy has major league "sack." He is one tough SOB and must truly be, both a vocal and a leader through example. He took shots, that most don't take in a whole season, in one game. You got to love a QB, who wins over his team and coaches with his work ethic and how he lays it all out on the field. This guy is only right out of high school. He and Riley have tremendous upside which will only make one of them, the absolute best competitor and leader.

What is this, about the 4th time this week we have read an article from Vito about the same subject. Man he writes boring articles. Yea Vizza is tough we get it. Wonder why Vito never asked Dodge about the photo that was posted in his paper a couple of weeks ago.

Probably because there are overly sensitive people working in Athletics, that do not want their feelings hurt. Plus Vito likes his job to much ask the hard questions.

What is this, about the 4th time this week we have read an article from Vito about the same subject. Man he writes boring articles. Yea Vizza is tough we get it. Wonder why Vito never asked Dodge about the photo that was posted in his paper a couple of weeks ago.

What photo was that?

Football: UNT's quarterback working through the hits

12:17 AM CDT on Thursday, October 25, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Giovanni Vizza found a new way to add to his growing reputation at North Texas as a tough guy last week in the Mean Green's loss to Troy.

UNT's starting quarterback kept getting up, which was a whole lot more difficult than it sounds against the Trojans.

Troy sacked Vizza nine times and hit him more often than that in what UNT's players and coaches described as one of the more brutal poundings they have seen a player take in the Trojans' 45-7 win.

"Giovanni took a wicked beating," UNT head coach Todd Dodge said. "He earned a lot of respect from his teammates because he got knocked around and never laid out on the field. He's a tough cat."

That trait could prove to be a key asset for Vizza again this week in UNT's game against Middle Tennessee at Fouts Field. MTSU defensive end Tavares Jones leads the Sun Belt Conference with five sacks, while fellow defensive end Erik Walden ranks sixth nationally among active players with 20.5 career sacks.

The duo helped the Blue Raiders post a school record nine sacks last week in a win over Arkansas State to push its season total to 21, the best mark in the Sun Belt.

And if that challenge wasn't big enough, UNT starting guard Tyler Bailey is out this week because of the lingering effects of a car accident he was in before the Mean Green's loss to Louisiana-Lafayette on Oct. 6.

Vizza could be the perfect player to face that daunting set of circumstances when the Mean Green looks to bounce back from its loss to Troy – a defeat that tied for its worst ever in Sun Belt play.

"I didn't think about it," Vizza said of the pounding he took against Troy. "I knew I had to get up. I feel like I can take a hit or even deliver one. I try to be tough and not be a stereotypical quarterback."

Vizza played linebacker throughout his football career until his coaches at San Antonio Alamo Heights made him give up playing defense before his freshman season.

At 6-1, 195, Vizza is nearly as big as some of UNT's running backs and isn't afraid to take on tacklers. He is UNT's third-leading rusher with 123 yards, despite being sacked 15 times in three games since becoming the Mean Green's starter against ULL.

“Vizza is a tough kid,” Troy coach Larry Blakeney said. “He stood in there, stood tall and delivered the ball.”

That toughness has UNT's players and coaches convinced that Vizza will not only survive the beatings he has taken the last few weeks, but also find a way to thrive while playing behind an offensive line that starts two sophomores and two redshirt freshmen.

"I could tell one time that he came off the field that he was hurting, but he kept everyone in line and stayed positive," said wide receiver Sam Dibrell, one of Vizza's former high school teammates. "Even when he is hurting he is going to try to do his best. … I respect him a lot for what he does."

Bailey out for MTSU game

Dodge said UNT will have a few options for how to handle replacing Bailey in its game against MTSU this week.

UNT could move right tackle Adam Venegas to guard and put backup Robert Peachey in at right tackle. Backup guard Chad Rose could also replace Bailey in the Mean Green's lineup.

Bailey missed UNT's game against ULL after the accident, but started the Mean Green's last two games. The sophomore did not finish UNT's loss to Troy on Saturday.

Briefly …

Junior cornerback Dominique Green did not practice Wednesday because of a sprained left ankle. Dodge described the move as a precautionary measure and expects Green to play against MTSU.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Could we please recruit an offensive line to protect our valued QB??

Could we please recruit an offensive line to protect our valued QB??

By reading this article, you can see the names of some Euless Trinity O-Linemen that need to be recruited by North Texas. The Trinity coach, Steve Lineweaver, has mentioned how much opportunity Dodge has opened for area players at NT. These guys need to be recruited, and NT needs the talent.

Euless Trinity O-Line