Game Thread: N T @ Troy

UNTFan23

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting fact Dunham just mentioned that Troy U and Army has more Florida HS signings than any other non-Florida schools.

You'd never read this kind of stuff in the Denton Wretched/Chronicle:

No matter the outcome of today's game it's still sorta' bothersome that our top UNT officials were lulled to sleep when by the time of our 4'th bowl game (where the USM Golden Eagles completely dismantled us) we were still no where even close to any semblance of a Top 25 ranked football program YET......................

(1) All the while....Troy U was building what was basically a new stadium (while we argue about how large ours should be while even moreso, we wonder where our Big Donor will come to build whatever size its initial capacity).

(2) All the while...Troy U was building a team that would (before a weeknight national ESPN TV audience) beat a #17 ranked Big 12 school, ie, the Missouri Tigers in the grand re-opening of their stadium in Troy, Alabama. During that same time, we played such schools only for the money with teams whose leaders never suggested winning games like Troy U has been winnning (or playing very close) the last few years.

(3) All the while...Troy U was building quality recruiting classes who even last year tore apart the Rice U Owls in the NO's Bowl (and while Troy U was building their recruiting class quality we during a 4 year run of bowls had so many of our higher UNT officials thinking we had one helluva' real juggernaut of a D1-A football program (albeit never ranked). How naive' we can really be in Denton.

It seems our problems at UNT when it comes to inter-collegiate athletics have most always started toward the very top of our administration coupled with those who would be in charge of our Board of Regents. While they were fiddling away our athletic program to what would turn into mediocrity in (gulp) the Sun Belt Conference, Troy U was building a program that will eventually be a ranked SBC football program--Hide..Watch & See.

For certain hindsight (most times) should be 20/20, but at UNT sometimes we don't seem to have clear vision even when we look back at our mistakes and try to understand them or correct them; that is, behind the reasons this football program is where it is now (even before TDodge was hired) while we had a 4 year run of bowls with our teams not even being close to Top 25 (or Top 20). In fact, we haven't had a Top 20 team since I was a young man in my 20's.

And now, soon enough, I will be 6 decades old and still cannot quite fathom how for so many years several regimes of UNT officials were all but clueless when it came to their knowing when to hire (and fire) personnel that would give a major Texas university located in a major league sports market and in the nations 6'th largest TV market to boot some semblance of a chance to have a representative NCAA Division One football program; or for that matter, an entire varsity athletic program.

So some wonder why so many are putting most all their hopes for any higher profile football future in Denton with a Todd Dodge-coached Mean Green football program?

FWIW....................UNT AD Rick V was (and is) a true visionary and tried to make a major personnel change back in October of 2001 that might have us truly ready for CUSA today, but he was veto'd by yet another UNT higher echelon official who just (basically) didn't know his caca from his oatmeal as far as the kind of leadership that would produce for us a winning non-Bottom 20 kind of football program. (FWIW, Troy U is now closer to filling a CUSA membership than we will probably ever be and the fact that they are not in Texas would probably help their eventual case with eastern CUSA member schools).

We all need to have hope above all hope that this thing is headed in the right direction and that upper UNT officials will keep their traditional most uncanny un-Midas touch (and hands) out of the way of what our real UNT A.D. was hired to and is trying to do (like Rick V was attempting to do when he was veto'd back in October of 2001)?:(

In fact, if our present upper echelon UNT officials want to show they have a real authentic Midas Touch needed by a university of our size and scope and (BTW) found at most schools like our own, thenlet them begin doing that by simply finding a Big Donor; you know, similar to the one that just gave crosstown Texas Women's University $5,000,000 in what a donation such as that had it been pledged to UNT would have been a record-breaker for us from an indivual donor?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

for those that can't see the game.

offensive line: horrible (Wow are we getting pushed around)

wide receivers: horrible (Wow are we slow)

QB: less than good (showing his inexperience)

defense: showng signs, secondary playing waaaaaaaay off the receivers

Hougabook is sitting back, changing channels, getting a drink, taking his pick of receivers that don't have a white jersey anywhere near them

I hope we look back 2 years from now and can say we've come a long way.

I hope dodge has some speed coming.

for those that can't see the game.

offensive line: horrible (Wow are we getting pushed around)

wide receivers: horrible (Wow are we slow)

QB: less than good (showing his inexperience)

defense: showng signs, secondary playing waaaaaaaay off the receivers

Hougabook is sitting back, changing channels, getting a drink, taking his pick of receivers that don't have a white jersey anywhere near them

I hope we look back 2 years from now and can say we've come a long way.

I hope dodge has some speed coming.

Why are we NOT running the ball against 5 man fronts?? Troy is almost never even putting 6 on the line and we refuse to run the ball....wth?

Wow. One of the worst halves of offensive football I have seen. Troy gives us all those turnovers and we turn them into ZERO points. Vizza had a very poor half. But, I blame the lack of protection for causing most of this mess. Troy's defense is just toying with our protection schemes. Not a fun game to watch :(

The good news is that Robertson looks like he will be a beast for the next few years.

Lets hope the offense can at least score a couple in the 2nd half. It will be interesting to see how our staff adjusts to the blitz packages.

yep...terrible, terrible half. We've had 4 running plays to the RBs against the worst run defense in the conference...what's worse? We're refusing to run the ball against 5 and 6 man fronts. We've given up 6 sacks and 12 tackles for loss. This is officially the 180 of DD. Throwing the ball when the obvious situation is to run it....good grief.

*sorry, my frustration level is pretty high as I try to watch this crap on mean green premium---which has dropped the feed over and over again...