Anyone See The Damn Today? I Love This Team!

stebo

Vizza was the #7 passer in the country yesterday. This was his FIRST GAME! The DaMN also said that Dodge has declared Vizza to be the starter for the rest of the year! I am so happy that I could care less about the loss. Let's face it folks, Danny is a nice kid but he we have seen the absolute very best that he could offer and it just wasn't enough. With Vizza, at least we are building for the future. Going into this season, I believed that we would win two games - FIU and maybe WKU. Anything more would be great but I am not expecting it. ULM will beat us next week, they throttled ASU this week.... but I will be there because I want to cheer on our new QB. I feel the same way about Vizza that I did about Scott Hall - just an incredible sense of relief that help is on the way. Like with Hall, the relief won't be immediate - but the air is already lighter. This team is about the future and unfortunately, when I see the Dan Wagon out there, all I can think about it Dickey and all of the crap that came with him. I want to see new kids like Fitz and Vizza out there. Out with the old, in with the new!

As for our DC, he might have to go. This defense is more then just porous, it absolutely sucks. But Bliel went along with Dickey and the black unis - there is no way we could have kept anyone from that staff after that stunt. Diet Coke boy is lucky to have a job still. I will be patient and see how they look at the end of the season. Anything over 2 wins will be a huge achievement in my opinion. Next year I will expect a 500 team. The next, I will EXPECT us to win the Belt. Simply put, I am going to enjoy watching this team grow and get better. It feels like we are really building something special now and I can't wait to say that I stuck by my team - ONCE AGAIN; while chicken littles were declaring that we had made the wrong choice. Just laughable.

Vizza was the #7 passer in the country yesterday. This was his FIRST GAME! The DaMN also said that Dodge has declared Vizza to be the starter for the rest of the year! I am so happy that I could care less about the loss. Let's face it folks, Danny is a nice kid but he we have seen the absolute very best that he could offer and it just wasn't enough. With Vizza, at least we are building for the future. Going into this season, I believed that we would win two games - FIU and maybe WKU. Anything more would be great but I am not expecting it. ULM will beat us next week, they throttled ASU this week.... but I will be there because I want to cheer on our new QB. I feel the same way about Vizza that I did about Scott Hall - just an incredible sense of relief that help is on the way. Like with Hall, the relief won't be immediate - but the air is already lighter. This team is about the future and unfortunately, when I see the Dan Wagon out there, all I can think about it Dickey and all of the crap that came with him. I want to see new kids like Fitz and Vizza out there. Out with the old, in with the new!

As for our DC, he might have to go. This defense is more then just porous, it absolutely sucks. But Bliel went along with Dickey and the black unis - there is no way we could have kept anyone from that staff after that stunt. Diet Coke boy is lucky to have a job still. I will be patient and see how they look at the end of the season. Anything over 2 wins will be a huge achievement in my opinion. Next year I will expect a 500 team. The next, I will EXPECT us to win the Belt. Simply put, I am going to enjoy watching this team grow and get better. It feels like we are really building something special now and I can't wait to say that I stuck by my team - ONCE AGAIN; while chicken littles were declaring that we had made the wrong choice. Just laughable.

You've hit the target right on the bullseye, stebo...

I, too, only shudder to think if the Black Unis-Gate gang had been back for a 10'th year. :blink: First of all, there would be few posting on this board any longer because so many would have interrpreted another year of DD Ball as our school officials just flat not giving a damn about the future of our football program. We might have drawn 10K for our first home game; more sarcasm on the radio broadcasted airwaves and you all know the rest of the story.

I still think our present Defensive Coordinator will be flexible enough to change what he needs to change, but just like TDodge needs more of his recruits to suit his style of offense, so will our D.C. (IMHO).

If we compared one year of Mean Green football to one inning of a baseball game, we're still half way thru the first innning of DodgeBall, folks. DD Ball had a full 9 innings to make or break it on the national stage but our succes was mostly contained in the safe confines of the Sun Belt Conference yet.................. DD Ball had almost a full decade to break this football program out of the unrespected SBC and into a national (and ranked) presence..................... so why are a hardy handful expecting so much half way thru TDodge's 1'st inning?

I feel TDodge will be just fine by his "3'rd inning" (if you will) albeit I realize not soon enough for some, but UNT officials (I would almost guarantee) are going to give Coach Dodge all the neccessary time he needs to build a true, solid foundation in Mean Green Country. I think they are also well aware of what he inherited and what he is going to have to do to build this program bigger, better and, uh, .................Top 25 ranked. They (UNT upper echelon leaders) have a big part to play in all this, too, and I think some of you have been making that point of late.

Like Stebo posted, we have a true frosh' QB to start this building process now of which (IMO) one of the traits of this building program's future will translate to Top 25 ranked bowl teams. When we start our winning cycle all over again (and we will), let's make a national impact this time around--whadda' you think?:)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Well said!

One more thing - our kicker sucks, lol.

Care to explain why you think this? He has missed one XP and two FGs all season. He is a true freshman that was recruited by NOTRE DAME - who asked him to walk on and play. Instead he decided on NT because it was closer to home. And in return for that, he gets this board... :rolleyes:

Care to explain why you think this? He has missed one XP and two FGs all season. He is a true freshman that was recruited by NOTRE DAME - who asked him to walk on and play. Instead he decided on NT because it was closer to home. And in return for that, he gets this board... :rolleyes:

That's funny, I thought it was Harry's. :blink:

I did advocate looking around for kickers to recruit and perhaps use a scholarship on during the off season. I do think the kicking game needs attention; missed field goals were big in the FAU game as well as last night (also for FAU against South Florida yesterday). Perhaps it could be done in a positive way; I've read somewhere that Dodge has a field goal kicking drill to simulate the stress of an actual game. If our kicker is not on scholarship, perhaps the possibility of getting one for him or whoever the kicker is for next year should be considered. Not to sound too high schoolish, but the Euless Trinity football program put on a variety entertainment night for the players and coaches to entertain each other as a unity building exercise (the Trinity assistant coaches did their best "Backstreet Boys" imitation. I would suggest any positive way to relieve the stress (which can be a big problem for kickers) these players and coaches must be feeling.

I was reflecting on when Meager was named the starter for the season and was thinking that it was a good idea to have Meager start through the Arkansas game so Vizza didn't get killed. It actually happened. I'm shocked, I feel like Nostradamus or something.

Also, if we're going to use a scholly on a kicker, how about a kickoff man, the other teams are getting REALLY good starting field position.

I was reflecting on when Meager was named the starter for the season and was thinking that it was a good idea to have Meager start through the Arkansas game so Vizza didn't get killed. It actually happened. I'm shocked, I feel like Nostradamus or something.

Also, if we're going to use a scholly on a kicker, how about a kickoff man, the other teams are getting REALLY good starting field position.

I think it's something reasonable to consider; I've started wondering if some of the major upsets happening this year are partly a result of the change in the kicking rules. There were some big runbacks in this weekend's games.

Dodge was counting on our returning kicker when suddenly the guy decided over the summer not to return, thus the walkon tryouts. The freshman does fine for a freshman. I remember Baz as a new kicker used to hit his blocking linemen in the back of the helmets with his low kicks; he turned out great for us after some experience.

Vizza also reminds me of Hall, raw talent that will only get better. I love it when he takes a hit and bounces right back up to talk smack. Tough kid, but I wish he wouldn't take on linebackers head to head.

The time management at the end of the game needs some work. We were under 4 minutes and changing plays took an extra 20 seconds each play. We needed to be in that "Indy Speed" ULL used a couple times on us...2-3 seconds to snap the ball after it's set for play!

I know we run everything out of the shotgun. But, we used that zone read about 10 times that game and twice in short ydg situations.

When it is 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 and everyone knows whats coming why don't we line up under center and qb sneak or hand off at the line, instead of dropping back 4 yds?

Wouldn't it be more effective? Let me know if I am being ignorant.

I know we run everything out of the shotgun. But, we used that zone read about 10 times that game and twice in short ydg situations.

When it is 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 and everyone knows whats coming why don't we line up under center and qb sneak or hand off at the line, instead of dropping back 4 yds?

No, I think that you're being smart. I've been saying all season that we should be under center on occasion. We're a little to telegraphed when we ALWAYS come out of the shotgun. I bet that will eventually change and I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

I'm a harsh fan but do not think we should call out the kicker who is a non-scholly player, plus add in a very sloppy field and it is a recipe for disaster. Missed the first XP and Dodge lost confidence, at least he nailed a longer FG late in the 4th, the defense did not give them another chance. Oh well not it is time to bring out the future for the Mean Green and thank the Seniors.

I was going to make a thread out of this topic, but you beat me to the point. Would it kill us to line up under center on 3rd and short and 4th and short situations? I don't understand us only needing half a yard, and we line up in the shotgun. We could easily QB sneak in those situations to pick up half a yard (especially with a QB like Vizza)

Guest 97and03

I was going to make a thread out of this topic, but you beat me to the point. Would it kill us to line up under center on 3rd and short and 4th and short situations? I don't understand us only needing half a yard, and we line up in the shotgun. We could easily QB sneak in those situations to pick up half a yard (especially with a QB like Vizza)

I had the same thought during the game (which Ringers in Austin was kind enough to turn on for us!). My comment was "we only needed a yard, why make the QB run 4 yards just to get 1?"

I think they would have to run a few other plays from under center so that the opposition didn't key too much on the sneak. I do think that a QB sneak is a pretty effective tool for those short yardage situations.

That is funny. We need to fix the D, it is last in the nation. Nobody can argue with that. If TD can turn around the worst offense in the nation that quick - there is no reason why the D can't be a top 100 D at least - at this point they are dead last and are giving up close to 500 yards a game.

As for the kciker. He missed a freaking extra point. Then, as the game went on - we have so little confidence in him that we would not even attempt a 40 yarder. His long for the year is a 37 yard field goal and he tied that last Saturday (yeah for him!) - but it was barely over the bars... I mean, barely. Lots of schools will invite a kid to walk on. It doesn't cost them a penny. The more the merrier. The school and the program have nothing to lose at all. Our kicker hit the upright on another PAT as well, it just got lucky and bounced in.

All season long we have had to go for it on 4th because our kicker cannot hit anything over 37 yards. For those of you paying attention - that requires us to be INSIDE the 20 in order to make a FG. The kicking position needs to be consistent from 30, that is their entire point. Also, our punter is a good punter... but he does not have kickoff potential with the line moved. So generally we would use the FG kicker for this new situation. But guess what? Our kicker is not only inaccurate, he has no leg strength! So we can't use him for kickoffs.

Maybe I am spoiled by the past kickers and punters. Those are two positions that we have never had a problem with. Toby Gowin, John Baker, Jason Ball. All kickers and punters that have gone on to play professional ball in the last decade.

And by the way, I was an English Major. If I type something really fast - I don't really check it. I would be willing to bet that my posts have less errors (even hastily typed from work) then the average Mean Green fan, lol. Chill out dude, our kicker sucks. Maybe with more practice he can suck less.

I guess we all need to get behind Vizza (by default) for the rest of the season. This is clearly Riley Dodge's team at year end. Though undersized, the kid is much better in every area than any QB we have had in years. Vizza's experience the rest of the way should prove valuable in a backup role for the future. When we are as bad as they come, (ranked last in D1) the coaches owe it to everyone to upgrade at every position, at every opportunity. Casey Fitzgerald is the only starter, in my opinion, that anyone seriously looking to upgrade this team can positively say should start next year? Does any of our other guys start for any mid-major program? How about 2nd string backup? Unless Dodge goes heavy JC (Which he won't) many will return as starters because our coach can't bring in the influx of better talent so quick.

No disrespect intended to the posters or family members of the kids but this is bottom D1 (or D1-AA talent) that Darrell Dickey left us. (Were any of them highly ranked and/or who did we beat out for their services) We need playmakers like Troy, FAU and others have attracted lately to move up the rankings and close this huge gap. Kids don't improve that much year over year. Let's stop looking at the stats! Meager was a nationally leader with 600 all time yards against SMU. 3 weeks later, the kid is benched for the rest of the season. Mind you, UL Lafayette was winless with a banged up offensive line.

There should be no guarantees for playing time next year. I'm convinced that the coaching staff will continue to play out the schedule but focus on evaluating younger kids. (unlike a Bill Parcells) You guys can pound on me as much as you like, but a nice overhaul in talent (at every position) is needed to make any kind of noise locally and/or nationally.

Go Mean Green!

Please stick to basketball in your analysis.

Vizza was the 4A Player of Year in Texas last year.

Many of the other recruits that are freshmen this year put up big numbers in successful programs.

Santiago, Drake and Menard are young and form a good nucleus for the future OL.

Penson will be a stud at LB.

Currently, Mendoza and Monroe have been a disappointment at LB and should be replaced by Mahan and Penson.

DL will have turnover at the DE after this year, but Chapman has been a success for a couple of years. Gilmore was a Top 50 recruit of DD's that will be a force if he can keep his grades in order.

Dibrell, Walker and Johnson were all state receivers.

Plus, Dodge had 17 days to recruit last year. Look at what has committed verbally to this point. Hang on to these young men and get to work after the season filling out the class and see what happens in the next year or two.

What makes you think that Dodge would bench Vizza for his son? That would be silly. He didn't do that at SLC when Riley was a FROSH and I seriously doubt that he will do that at NT. The way that I see it, Vizza is going to finish out the year. Either he will make strides like he did in the UL game or he will retreat like Meager did. If he makes the kind of strides that we all want him to - then that will set him up nicely for a Sophomore year with no distractions. Meager is an ok backup QB in case of injury. Next year, Riley can start to learn the college game in practice and from the sidelines. His next year will be his 2nd freshman year and Vizza's Junior Season, Riley will probably be the backup by this point. I don't see a problem until 2010, 3 years from now. Riley will be a Sophomore and Vizza will be a Senior (and Meager will have graduated). Does Todge want Riley to play his Sophomore year to give him 3 years on the field? Well, it all depends on how Vizza is doing. If Vizza is kicking butt then Riley will probably have to wait until his Junior year - no big deal - he will still have two full years to make his mark. If there is healthy competition, there is nothing wrong with that at all. In Todge we trust ;)

Is Riley truely starting school at UNT in January like he said he would? Or is he wavering? If he is going to have a shot at starting at QB his true freshman year he better not back out on his commitment and get in here and try to become a leader. I hope he is not thinking about another "change of mind", don't think Coach Dad would like that!

Is Riley truely starting school at UNT in January like he said he would? Or is he wavering? If he is going to have a shot at starting at QB his true freshman year he better not back out on his commitment and get in here and try to become a leader. I hope he is not thinking about another "change of mind", don't think Coach Dad would like that!

That's one heck of a rumor you're trying to start there. :ph34r: