The Sky Is Not Falling

MeanGreenBuzz

Yes we lost to ULL but look at the freaking bright side. Vizza got some very valuble game experience and looked better and better as the game progressed. Once he settles in he is going to be one helluva QB. Had the turnovers and penalties not been there we pretty much would have mauled ULL. Just look at the stats - Total Yards 527 to 414 - First Downs 25 to 14 - TOP 40:36 to 19:24. The glaring error of th whole game though was the Turn overs Mean Green 4 ULL 2. Also if we had a kicker that was experienced and had been able to kick field goals on all those 4th downs that would have amounted to atleast 12 extra points plus we wouldn't have started the game out in a hole we had to work out of because of the missed extra point. Moreland just has no range beyond 37-38 yards. Watching the game last night I saw a team with a lot of fight in it that rallied to Vizza in the 4th quarter and who wanted to win. ULM next week is going to walk into a storm at Fouts Field. I just hope we can learn to stop the run. I also particulary liked the shot of of TD at the end of the game. He looked pissed that we lost and I imagine that there will be a bunch of linemen working on procedure next week not to mention LBers working on tackling. One thing I can say about our defense that every team has been able to expose is they are slow. Very very slow. We need more guys that can move sideline to sideline and get to a QB, even one as quick as ULLs, before he breaks containment. Our third down efficiency improved dramatically with Vizza this week as well as on 4th down. He completed 61.5% of his passes he threw 3 TDs and 3 INTs but a 1 to 1 ratio is better than what we have seen out of Meager and if I remember right thats about what Romo did against the Giants before he went on his tear. If we can get the presnap penalties down and the turnovers down to where the ratio is in our favor this could turn out to be a very good team by the end of the season bowl game or no bowl game.

(disclaimer: no I am not comparing Vizza to Romo I am just saying it takes a QB at least a start to really find his groove and it looked like Vizza had by the end of the game)

One thing I can say about our defense that every team has been able to expose is they are slow. Very very slow. We need more guys that can move sideline to sideline and get to a QB, even one as quick as ULLs, before he breaks containment.

And how do you go about helping the current LB's improve upon their ability to cover and pursue sideline to sideline?

Well, if your coach Bliel, AFTER watching some film I suppose, you change the defense to a 3-4, adding a 4th linebacker so that you now have a linebacker standing outside the two hashmarks instead of inside them, cutting down the space they have to cover.

Someone didn't do their homework last spring.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

According to 90% of this board, it is.

Dallas' crime rate isn't at 0%, so let's fire the police chief.

This fire is too big for our station to handle, let's fire our station chief.

DISD schools aren't at a 100% graduation rate, let's fire the superintendent.

What a bunch of knee-jerk tools.

So you think:

Laura Miller was the best mayor ever for the City of Dallas.

Dickey didn't deserve to be fired.

Aliens exist and abduct people in their sleep.

Oh and the police chief would be fired if the crime rate went from 10% to 60% in less than 12 months. :rolleyes:

NT dominated T.O.P because ULL's average scoring drives took ~1:30. One thing I will agree with you is that this team lacks team speed. Specifically, at the skilled positions.

If it's being knee-jerk to bitch about a defensive scheme/game plan that can't hold any opponent to under 30 points and only 2 to under 45, count me in as a knee-jerker.

And how do you go about helping the current LB's improve upon their ability to cover and pursue sideline to sideline?

Well, if your coach Bliel, AFTER watching some film I suppose, you change the defense to a 3-4, adding a 4th linebacker so that you now have a linebacker standing outside the two hashmarks instead of inside them, cutting down the space they have to cover.

Rick

It is also they made this move knowing they would have problems this season while knowing it would pay off in the future. If you look at the recruiting they are doing they are going after faster guys to play in this scheme. Might as well install the defensive scheme you plan on using when you know you are going to have a building/rebuilding year than wait and rebuild the offense this year and the defense next year. Go through all the growing pains at once that way you get to a well coached overall team faster.

On the knee jerk subject, there are a lot of people on this board that need to chill the *f* out and let the man work. SLC didn't win over night and neither will NT. The strides this team has made vs. the teams of the last 2 years is incredible and TD should be respected for playing not only the best athletes reguardless of class status but also for cleaning out athletes that were not team players and trying to build a team of class acts. Lets not be like ND and throw away a great coach before he has a chance to win with what he builds.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

As weak as our secondary is, I concur with the firefighter's assesment.

God knows our 4-man front isn't getting any penetration into the backfield.

Well, now that we are pretty much out of the conference race, I can step back and look at this season for what it is...an EXTREME rebuild job. I will watch games and look for some positives that will give me hope for the future (I've already seen quite a few). I will continue to tailgate, drink beer, and enjoy the game day environment...even if it's me and 12,000 others. I will no longer let myself live and die with each possession, and I will no longer curse in the stands (or at the tv). I say we all just step back, let the football season soak in, and make the best of it. Remember what our Belt mates used to always warn us about. In college football, success is cyclical...especially at our level. We WILL be back, and it WILL be exciting. Let's go ahead and start at rock bottom, and usher in the new era of North Texas football over the next few years.

And if you want some other positives to consider...no one in the Sun Belt has come close to the level of domination we exhibited when this football conference was just starting out. Also...the COWBOYS are undefeated! Let's ride the pro team bragging rights this season. Lastly, basketball starts here pretty soon, and we are the defending champs in that sport.

Do we feel better? :lol:

Well, now that we are pretty much out of the conference race, I can step back and look at this season for what it is...an EXTREME rebuild job. I will watch games and look for some positives that will give me hope for the future (I've already seen quite a few). I will continue to tailgate, drink beer, and enjoy the game day environment...even if it's me and 12,000 others. I will no longer let myself live and die with each possession, and I will no longer curse in the stands (or at the tv). I say we all just step back, let the football season soak in, and make the best of it. Remember what our Belt mates used to always warn us about. In college football, success is cyclical...especially at our level. We WILL be back, and it WILL be exciting. Let's go ahead and start at rock bottom, and usher in the new era of North Texas football over the next few years.

And if you want some other positives to consider...no one in the Sun Belt has come close to the level of domination we exhibited when this football conference was just starting out. Also...the COWBOYS are undefeated! Let's ride the pro team bragging rights this season. Lastly, basketball starts here pretty soon, and we are the defending champs in that sport.

Do we feel better? :lol:

Right on.

So you think:

Laura Miller was the best mayor ever for the City of Dallas.

Dickey didn't deserve to be fired.

Aliens exist and abduct people in their sleep.

Oh and the police chief would be fired if the crime rate went from 10% to 60% in less than 12 months.

Detecting sarcasm is obviously not one of your strong suits. However, being an armchair defensive coordinator is.

If it's being knee-jerk to bitch about a defensive scheme/game plan that can't hold any opponent to under 30 points and only 2 to under 45, count me in as a knee-jerker.
Will do. And you do realize you can't hotlink images from The Helmet Project, right? For a good while, you've been advertising NationalChamps.net with their default image for when someone hotlinks a pic.

Detecting sarcasm is obviously not one of your strong suits.

Apparently, it's better than yours. :rolleyes:

However, being an armchair defensive coordinator is.

Damn right, and make sure you remember this before you post. :D

Since you have the uncanny ability of detecting my skill level of defensive "coordination", what does that make you? The head armchair defensive coordinator? 'Cause I will admit, I think I'm pretty good at recognizing defensive schemes after playing football through high school & college. :rolleyes:

Edited by Got5onIt

Apparently, it's better than yours. :rolleyes:

Damn right, and make sure you remember this before you post. :D

Since you have the uncanny ability of detecting my skill level of defensive "coordination", what does that make you? The head armchair defensive coordinator? 'Cause I will admit, I think I'm pretty good at recognizing defensive schemes after playing football through high school & college. :rolleyes:

Just curious, where did you play ball?

I for one am excited about the future for the first time since the SMU game. Think about it, without the first game jitters, Giovanni leads us to our first victory. With the jitters behind him, I think he will continue to blossom into a stellar qb. It also seemed to me that, save for a few big plays, the defense played with a lot more intensity. Did I see us get a sack? Todd Dodge was on the sidelines screaming at the refs or somebody. You could tell they went all out in George's postgame talk with TD. We're on the lip of the cup and punchin' it in for six. I'm telling you, "greener" skies are ahead.

I'll bet one of you all the $1 hotdogs you can eat that we beat ULM this week.

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler

Guest Aquila_Viridis

This beautiful encouragement leads me to offer a technical observation: it appears to me that if the other team attempts to make a block, our defensive players assume they are in fact blocked. I would like to see a lot more of the getting around blockers thing.

Oh gosh I can't stop. Here's another: soon after the game started, they showed GV on the sideline and he looked really lost. However, based on his play later in the game, I think he's going to get a lot better.

This beautiful encouragement leads me to offer a technical observation: it appears to me that if the other team attempts to make a block, our defensive players assume they are in fact blocked. I would like to see a lot more of the getting around blockers thing.

Oh gosh I can't stop. Here's another: soon after the game started, they showed GV on the sideline and he looked really lost. However, based on his play later in the game, I think he's going to get a lot better.

Seeing Dodge being quoted in the DMN today saying Vizza is the quarterback for the rest of the season is quite encouraging to me. In this system especially, it's important to have a quarterback know he's the man! I don't think Dodge enjoyed playing under Darrell Royal with his "when you pass, 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad" philosophy. I do think many could agree with another Royal saying; "A confused team can't play aggressively".

Dwayne Taylor

Oh and the police chief would be fired if the crime rate went from 10% to 60% in less than 12 months. :rolleyes:

Can't really argue with that one.

I don't think it is knee-jerk to ask questions and talk about things that are that bad - but if it is, then I guess you can call me knee-jerk too.

Rick

In other words, you do what ULL's coaching staff did against us - switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4...in one week's time. And, they didn't have to recruit new players to do it. They just told the players they had, who had already strunk up the joint to the tune of 0-5, to do it.

Nah. You ask the impossible, FFR. Change in the middle of the season, without new players...can't be done...here!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch