Td Pay Attention:

greenjacket

Defense wins games, but we do not have one. The last minutes of last night game TD was looking for the defense to deliver the game, but it was nowhere to be found. I am starting to believe this DC has a personal beef against Nurudeen. It appears he is determined to win without him, but it is not happening. TD, please the same attention you paid to this board on offense, you must pay to defense. Vizza looked great last night and you looked even greater as an OC. Our present DC made us look like crap and we had a fast CB on the sideline. This DC must go!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense wins games, but we do not have one. The last minutes of last night game TD was looking for the defense to deliver the game, but it was nowhere to be found. I am starting to believe this DC has a personal beef against Nurudeen. It appears he is determined to win without him, but it is not happening. TD, please the same attention you paid to this board on offense, you must pay to defense. Vizza looked great last night and you looked even greater as an OC. Our present DC made us look like crap and we had a fast CB on the sideline. This DC must go!!!

This is Game - 5 : Good God people act like you have been here before! This immature, premature heckling from the peanut gallery does not help. What makes you think we have enough talent in the Defense this year to be any better? This a prime example of irresponsible and absurd posting.

This is Game - 5 : Good God people act like you have been here before! This immature, premature heckling from the peanut gallery does not help. What makes you think we have enough talent in the Defense this year to be any better? This a prime example of irresponsible and absurd posting.

Yes, we have enough talent in defense. What we lack is good coaching.

Irresponsible and absurd the posting may appear to be.

This a prime example of irresponsible and absurd posting.

threadugly.jpg

You've got very large nads, my friend. Blame the crappy talent the kids have, give the coaches a pass... "They couldn't do better with this group of players no matter what they change" is basically what you are saying...

...but WE'RE the one's who are irresponsible? :rolleyes:

threadugly.jpg

You've got very large nads, my friend. Blame the crappy talent the kids have, give the coaches a pass... "They couldn't do better with this group of players no matter what they change" is basically what you are saying...

...but WE'RE the one's who are irresponsible? :rolleyes:

IT IS his Fifth game with a new system and we played two, count them two, very pissed off BCS teams that had something mighty to prove when showed up to play our timing could not have been worse. Yes it is irresponsible when you jump the gun.

Yes I am ticked off and I take losing hard but it is still way too early to make these judgments, plus this is something like 20th thread on this crap.

IT IS his Fifth game with a new system and we played two, count them two, very pissed off BCS teams that had something mighty to prove when showed up to play our timing could not have been worse. Yes it is irresponsible when you jump the gun.

Yes I am ticked off and I take losing hard but it is still way too early to make these judgments, plus this is something like 20th thread on this crap.

I'm not upset about the losses to OU and Arkansas. ...I'm upset that the other team had the ball for half the time we did and we got RAPED, regardless of some real signs of life from the offense.

I don't think anyone is jumping the gun. I'm not looking for perfection or even a 180* turn around overnight, but SOME, JUST SOME improvement. There is some in the offense, every week. The Defense hasn't made so much as a single adjustment that has netted improved performance.

Yep, Nurudeen, or however it is spelled, is the reason we lost last night. Is he a player? Appears to be, but he is not the answer to stopping 73 yard runs.

Tony are you blind? What makes anyone think we have enough talent in the defense this year to be any better?

I'll simply refer to any of my previous defensive posts the past three weeks.

Rick

How did basically this same group of players, working in a new system finish #64 in defense last season and have the bottom fall out this season ? Please don't tell me our defensive performance doesn't have something to do with COACHING. Aren't we also in a new offense, but with dramatically different RESULTS ?

Edited by MeanGreen61

Yes, we have enough talent in defense. What we lack is good coaching.

Irresponsible and absurd the posting may appear to be.

Its interesting that the posters with 16 posts, 20 posts etc are the loudests ones crying for changes in the coaching staff already after 5 games into the first year of the new coaching staff.

Every one cried for changes in the defense...well we played the LB out beyond the OL, we tried the blitzes... and got burned. IF NT WAS TOLD TO FIRE THE DC I REALLY BELIEVE TD WOULD WALK. IF HE WALKS I CAN GUARANTEE YOU NT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EMPLOY ANY KIND OF QUALIFIED REPLACEMENT WHO REALIZE THEY MUST SHOW IMPROVEMENT IN THE FIRST 5 GAMES OR THEY ARE OUT. LETS GET REAL FOLKS

[/quot

To answer your question, the defense returns almost all the players from last year. Most would conclude that a team returning at least equal talent with the vast majority of the team having another year of experience would result in the defense getting significantly better, not getting substantially worse. Instead of labelling posters that don't share your opinion, forget the hyperbole and support your opinion with some rationale. Share with others, why do you think anyone who questions the NT defense's performance is immature, premature, absurd; or my personal favorite, irresponsible.

Mendoza's "Speed Bump" Defense is hard to watch, but he's not going anywhere.

Patience is what is required. I believe TD knows talent(coaching and players) . I believe he hired the right guy for the job. It just may not reflect that this year. I can see why coaches get fired so quickly, though. So many have jumped off the bandwagon so fast.

Its interesting that the posters with 16 posts, 20 posts etc are the loudests ones crying for changes in the coaching staff already after 5 games into the first year of the new coaching staff.

Every one cried for changes in the defense...well we played the LB out beyond the OL, we tried the blitzes... and got burned. IF NT WAS TOLD TO FIRE THE DC I REALLY BELIEVE TD WOULD WALK. IF HE WALKS I CAN GUARANTEE YOU NT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EMPLOY ANY KIND OF QUALIFIED REPLACEMENT WHO REALIZE THEY MUST SHOW IMPROVEMENT IN THE FIRST 5 GAMES OR THEY ARE OUT. LETS GET REAL FOLKS

OT

1. The defense SUX !

2. Yes, it's a new scheme with a new coach but the same applied to LAST SEASON where the D did finish #64 in total defense.

3. The defense is costing TD. What he viewed as an asset before the season began has been a liability. With a half way decent defense we could easily be 3-2 NOW.

4. The offense has made a dramatic shift with a totally new system. The defense has also made a dramatic shift, but unfortunately for the worse. If our offense can be much better with a new COACH, why can't the defense ?

5. I'll continue to doubt Mendoza until he shows he deserves respect as a college defense co-ordinator.

I have had enough fun taking shots at Meager this season. Thought i was going to feel really bad this morning having take up for Vizza struggling with jitters to start the game. This post is just to say I have been disappointed with the D Fense or lack there of as much as anyone. We all have to remember no matter how bad the D Fense has looked its just the 5th game of the season. I think all the coaches know and Mendoza especially knows that if we are going to win any games this season or next its going to be because the D Fense is playing better. Look at L'ville they have an awesome offense but you have to have some D Fense as they have proven. I think next season with more then 17 days Dodge will have us some more talent on D. Lets give this team some time i see the D Fense just as i see Vizza, with some seasoning it will only get better.

HOME GAME this week FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Vizza4QB

Tony are you blind? What makes anyone think we have enough talent in the defense this year to be any better?

I'll simply refer to any of my previous defensive posts the past three weeks.

Rick

No I am not blind, I don't like swallowing these sorry ass pills, I am just not pushing the panic button yet. I am fairly sure if I can find a good stats archive that I can show our schedule was much softer last year in both OOC and in the conference the belt is better than last year and 65th may have been a gift with this years schedule. I read that some of our returning Defensive players showed up to Fall practice out of shape. Maybe that shows a lack of commitment on their part. But what kills me is the negativity on the board, it doesn't help anyone right now. I like what Dodge has set in to motion and I think we will all be much happier next year, and probably by the end of this year. I like the promotion of the team that Dodge has done and the no BS stance he has taken with the team. In time I have all the faith in the world it will payoff beyond anything us fans have ever seen at UNT.

It going to take time, and calling for people's jobs and making some of the ridiculous posts and topics we have seen is way way WAY over the top and very bush-league as fans. We are at game 5, this year has still been more exciting to me then all of the last two years because I see potential or real hope for the first time in a long time. Yes I am not happy with the D but they even had glimmers in the first half, seems like I even saw a few bad-ass sacks. Yes we need more and dammit I want to go party with all you guys back down on Bourbon street. I see no point in beating Mendoza or our team up over anything this year, god I want a kickoff kicker and a great return guy. An O-line that can keep a three man front from penetrating the pocket. Etc..

Dodge will fix everything in time and he and his staff deserve some real time, and patience from us.

Tony

Edited by KingDL1

No I am not blind, I don't like swallowing these sorry ass pills, I am just not pushing the panic button yet. I am fairly sure if I can find a good stats archive that I can show our schedule was much softer last year in both OOC and in the conference the belt is better than last year and 65th may have been a gift with this years schedule. I read that some of our returning Defensive players showed up to Fall practice out of shape. Maybe that shows a lack of commitment on their part. But what kills me is the negativity on the board, it doesn't help anyone right now. I like what Dodge has set in to motion and I think we will all be much happier next year, and probably by the end of this year. I like the promotion of the team that Dodge has done and the no BS stance he has taken with the team. In time I have all the faith in the world it will payoff beyond anything us fans have ever seen at UNT.

It going to take time, and calling for people's jobs and making some of the ridiculous posts and topics we have seen is way way WAY over the top and very bush-league as fans. We are at game 5, this year has still been more exciting to me then all of the last two years because I see potential or real hope for the first time in a long time. Yes I am not happy with the D but they even had glimmers in the first half, seems like I even saw a few bad-ass sacks. Yes we need more and dammit I want to go party with all you guys back down on Bourbon street. I see no point in beating Mendoza or our team up over anything this year, god I want a kickoff kicker and a great return guy. An O-line that can keep a three man front from penetrating the pocket. Etc..

Dodge will fix everything in time and he and his staff deserve some real time, and patience from us.

Tony

Excuse me, I meant to ask: "What makes you think we DON'T have enough talent on this defense to be any better?".

But then again, I see the answer to my question in your response so never mind. And in fact, you did see some good things in the first half which looked to me like the first defensive adjustments with the LB's that were made this year. And then we got out of it after the 1st quarter? Who made that decision?

There isn't much left to say if we are ready to accept an 0-12 season. Some fans see problems with the defense and will continue question why the same 17 players from a 64th ranked defense has become the laughing stock a year later. Others will simply write it off as a lack of talent and a casualty of changing head coaches, cheapening the efforts of good players such as the likes of Aaron Weathers who was the 2nd highest ranked DB in the nation in tackles in '05. We accepted the results of that group finishing off 101st nationally because they were the nations 3rd youngest defense that year. Then it seemed experience was paying off as they improved to 64th a year later. Now, for no explainable reason that same group has gotten much more worse than when they first got here but none of that seems to matter to some folks because we have a new head coach, so we will just write them off and start over for next year? Let's just keep those same lack of concerns in mind if out of nowhere our offense follows suit in '08?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Ok, we do not want TD to walk. He is the best outcome we have had this season. Nevertheless, he needs to pay attention to the whole team, not just the offense. Here are my suggestions for the DC:

1. The DC can learn from everybody around him, the other coaches, the athletes he coaches and even fanatics on this board.

2. The DC should encourage his players to show some originalities; they may just have skills that the DC cannot teach.

3.The DC should show some fairness; the unfairness seen on the field may be partly responsible for the athletes' lack of enthusiasm. Children sympathize with the underdog.

4.The DC should use all his talents, not just the players he favors. There are players that can cause chaos on the field for the opponent. We caused fumbles in Arkansas.

5.The DC should get a book on defensive schemes and get a crash course from his colleagues.

Peace!!!

OT

1. The defense SUX !

2. Yes, it's a new scheme with a new coach but the same applied to LAST SEASON where the D did finish #64 in total defense.

3. The defense is costing TD. What he viewed as an asset before the season began has been a liability. With a half way decent defense we could easily be 3-2 NOW.

4. The offense has made a dramatic shift with a totally new system. The defense has also made a dramatic shift, but unfortunately for the worse. If our offense can be much better with a new COACH, why can't the defense ?

5. I'll continue to doubt Mendoza until he shows he deserves respect as a college defense co-ordinator.

Great post. What really gets me about the defense and the coaching, is that before the start of the season we were told that the defense would be the strong point of this team. Now, 5 games into the season we have an offense that is MILES better than it was last season with less talent than the players/talent on the defensive side of the ball, yet that side of the ball is FAR/MILES from where it was last season, and that's if these players don't have another year on them. We should have a defense that is ranked ABOVE #64 nationally. PEOPLE quit saying that it is a lack of talent - if that is the case, what is up with the offense? This defense has talent, the only reason that comes close to explaining our problems are the coaches.

There isn't much left to say if we are ready to accept an 0-12 season. Some fans see problems with the defense and will continue question why the same 17 players from a 64th ranked defense has become the laughing stock a year later. Others will simply write it off as a lack of talent and a casualty of changing head coaches, cheapening the efforts of good players such as the likes of Aaron Weathers who was the 2nd highest ranked DB in the nation in tackles in '05. We accepted the results of that group finishing off 101st nationally because they were the nations 3rd youngest defense that year. Then it seemed experience was paying off as they improved to 64th a year later. Now, for no explainable reason that same group has gotten much more worse than when they first got here but none of that seems to matter to some folks because we have a new head coach, so we will just write them off and start over for next year? Let's just keep those same lack of concerns in mind if out of nowhere our offense follows suit in '08?

Rick

Unfortunately, I think this team is well on it's way to 0 - 12 with this defensive play. I can't figure it out other than it being the defensive coaching. Makes no sense why this group of players isn't ranked higher than #64 with another year under their belts. I am like you, I am tired of the "lack of talent" excuse. This defense is not getting better that I can tell through 5 games, and if we finish 0 - 12 with very little changes, write it off as a new coaching staff and lack of talent - then it WILL be a very, very loooooooooooooong season next year again.

Some fans see problems with the defense and will continue question why the same 17 players from a 64th ranked defense has become the laughing stock a year later. Others will simply write it off as a lack of talent and a casualty of changing head coaches, cheapening the efforts of good players such as the likes of Aaron Weathers who was the 2nd highest ranked DB in the nation in tackles in '05. We accepted the results of that group finishing off 101st nationally because they were the nations 3rd youngest defense that year. Then it seemed experience was paying off as they improved to 64th a year later. Now, for no explainable reason that same group has gotten much more worse than when they first got here but none of that seems to matter to some folks because we have a new head coach, so we will just write them off and start over for next year? Let's just keep those same lack of concerns in mind if out of nowhere our offense follows suit in '08?

Rick

I know the question about conditioning has come up before. Is it just that these guys are used to having 5 or more minutes for a breather between series? And this new offense is just putting them back on the field too quickly? I didn't follow UNT before this season, but from what Rick and everyone else says, the talent is definitely there. And I believe it. This defense has had some great individual series against SMU, FAU, ULL and even AK. They've stepped up time and time again to get the ball back. It just seems like they just aren't able to hold it together for 4 qtrs. Any maybe this is where the coaching could do better by putting them into positions where they are less likely to be burned late in the game when fatigue is setting in.

I know the question about conditioning has come up before. Is it just that these guys are used to having 5 or more minutes for a breather between series? And this new offense is just putting them back on the field too quickly? I didn't follow UNT before this season, but from what Rick and everyone else says, the talent is definitely there. And I believe it. This defense has had some great individual series against SMU, FAU, ULL and even AK. They've stepped up time and time again to get the ball back. It just seems like they just aren't able to hold it together for 4 qtrs. Any maybe this is where the coaching could do better by putting them into positions where they are less likely to be burned late in the game when fatigue is setting in.

The problem doesn't seem to be wearing down, since they're giving up big plays early and often. It's just that they give up HUGE, BIG, MONSTROUS plays. That's partly a result of conditioning, sure, in not being able to catch people, but it's a lack of speed and being out of position to make plays.

If I recall correctly the time of possession for the ULL game was approx UNT 41 minutes

and ULL 19 minutes so I don't think fatigue should have been a factor.