For What It's Worth

flyeater

In case anyone cares, here's Lance Dunbar's season so far:

164 vs. Mansfield

190 vs. Newman Smith

31 vs. Everman

33 vs. Grapevine

Everman, a 4A school, allows less than 100 yards rushing a game. Grapevine's defensive stats aren't reported.

Rodge leads the Startlegram's area in passing yards (1,275) and TDs (16). Carroll is No. 1 in total offense at 517.8.

I don't know if this means anything but it still makes me uneasy:

Out of 25 schools listed, Carroll is 22nd in total defense at 354.5. Three schools were zeroed out, but I went over to DMN and did the math. They'd all still be higher.

I know Carroll gave up a lot of yards to Northwestern, but Rockwall and Keller Central went up and down the field, too. I know it's high school, but was Carroll always bad on defense and just able to cover it up?

I know Carroll gave up a lot of yards to Northwestern, but Rockwall and Keller Central went up and down the field, too. I know it's high school, but was Carroll always bad on defense and just able to cover it up?

SL Carroll has typically given up a lot of points and just outscored their opponents.

SL Carroll has typically given up a lot of points and just outscored their opponents.

Here are their 2006 playoff scores. For the most part, I think Mendoza's boys were getting the job done...

Southlake Carroll 35 Lewisville 0

Southlake Carroll 22 Euless Trinity 21

Southlake Carroll 42 Odessa Permian 6

Southlake Carroll 33 Colleyville Heritage 7

Southlake Carroll 38 Allen 0

Southlake Carroll 43 Austin Westlake 29

Yeah, i'm thinking their forte was scoring defense, but more bend-don't-break in the yardage department. Still, I think Drake and Mendoza are the only ones who left. Isn't the DC someone who was there before?

Hate to see anyone in high school holding Dunbar to 30 yards (twice). Thought he was better than that. I'm guessing he is.

Damn, Carroll's offense looks as powerful as ever, at least against the competition in this area and probably most of Texas.

Yeah, the secret of Carroll football was how great their defense played. Everyone looked to their offense, but defense was what won them championships.

I have to agree, based on the Euless Trinity/SLC playoff game last year, which turned out to be a defensive struggle between two otherwise very high scoring (and widely recognized) offenses, 22-21. It really wasn't a very impressive game by the SLC offense; their offensive line was having a hard time protecting Riley Dodge, who may have received a concussion during the game. It probably is true that SLC only won because of a coaching mistake-an easily read fake punt by Trinity, in the last few minutes of the game. Both defensive units were outstanding in that game; I wish North Texas could have signed Trinity's Youri Yenga, rated as best defensive player in the state by some (signed by SMU). I don't think I've seen a more athletic hit on a quarterback than the one he delivered on Dodge by leaping over the SLC offensive line. Still, for the SLC defense to hold that Trinity offense the way they did for most of that game was no small achievement.

Here are their 2006 playoff scores. For the most part, I think Mendoza's boys were getting the job done...

Southlake Carroll 35 Lewisville 0

Southlake Carroll 22 Euless Trinity 21

Southlake Carroll 42 Odessa Permian 6

Southlake Carroll 33 Colleyville Heritage 7

Southlake Carroll 38 Allen 0

Southlake Carroll 43 Austin Westlake 29

I'll give you that SLC's defense was much improved last year, but...let's dig a little deeper, shall we??

2005 playoff scores:

Southlake Carroll 48 Irving MacArthur 21

Southlake Carroll 45 Allen 15

Southlake Carroll 52 Abilene 0

Southlake Carroll 37 Plano 27

Southlake Carroll 46 Lufkin 28

Southlake Carroll 43 Katy 20

That's 18.5 points per game...take out that Abilene game and the defense was giving up 22.2 points per game.

2004 playoff scores:

Southlake Carroll 48 Irving 13

Southlake Carroll 52 Allen 14

Southlake Carroll 35 Abilene 30

Southlake Carroll 28 Denton Ryan 7

Southlake Carroll 37 Lufkin 30

Southlake Carroll 27 Smithshon Valley 24

That's 19.6 points per game.

2003 playoff scores:

Southlake Carroll 55 Irving MacArthur 14

Southlake Carroll 42 Arlington 7

Southlake Carroll 38 Lubbock Monterey 31

Southlake Carroll 29 Irving 16

Southlake Carroll 37 Allen 21

Katy 16 Southlake Carroll 15

That's 17.5 points per game.

2002 playoff scores:

Southlake Carroll 35 Irving MacArthur 21

Southlake Carroll 19 Arlington Sam Houston 16

Southlake Carroll 41 Abilene Cooper 17

Southlake Carroll 52 Arlington 33

Southlake Carroll 33 Lufkin 30

Southlake Carroll 45 Smithson Valley 14

That's 22.3 points per game.

Take the playoff scores for those four seasons (including the ONE shutout) and SLC's defense gave up an average of 19.5 points per game. In 13 of those 23 games they gave up 3 or more touchdowns. I think you will find several scores that back up my statement that "SL Carroll has typically given up a lot of points and just outscored their opponents."

Ok, so maybe you're sitting there reading this and thinking...giving up 19.5 points per game doesn't sound so bad? (You're right too...I'd take that average over our 55 points per game this year every single time.) Well, just to put that in some perspective, giving up an average of 19.5 points per game in NCAA this year would rank us at #31, tied with Wyoming, in scoring defense. Now that's not bad...but it's far from great.

Edited by gangrene

Point made after some nice diggin' there. That team did score an obscene amount of points for several years and still does. They found the one thing they could do well and did it better than anyone in the state. On defense, it appears they were good, but never great. Just looked that way when they scored 45 every week, especially in regular season. Is this the kind of offense/defense dynamic we can expect in the future, if the spread does what it's supposed to with the right athletes? More wondering aloud than asking.

Not that I'd ever go back to where we were.

The problem with stats is that they don't capture the intangible "It" for winning. Mendoza's defense always stepped up and made the stops when it counted (except for Katy in 2003). He's just a winner.

What? This isn't the SL board. Please call him a winner when his team stops someone ON THE COLLEGE LEVEL!

What? This isn't the SL board. Please call him a winner when his team stops someone ON THE COLLEGE LEVEL!

He's our defensive coordinator now and his accomplishments at SLC are all we have to go on historically, so his teams were winners. Don't be an a$$ about it.

He's our defensive coordinator now and his accomplishments at SLC are all we have to go on historically, so his teams were winners. Don't be an a$$ about it.

Charlie Weiss was a winner. Doesn't mean he's protected from getting thrown under the bus for the "goings ons" in South Bend.

I guess you don't realize that his 9+ months and 4 games as DC are all we have to go on historically at THE COLLEGE LEVEL. Pretty obvious who the "a$$" is around here.