Evan Roman

agw0038

Mendoza coached with TD at SLC for 7 years. Where did he coach when he was shutting TD's teams down?

Just consider the source to which you posed the question to. :rolleyes:

Mendoza has had a very successful career as an assistant coach in the Texas high school ranks. He spent all seven years with Dodge at Southlake Carroll, enjoying four state championships and a 98-11 record during that time. Over the last five years at Carroll, Mendoza helped guide the Dragons to a 79-1 record, with the only loss being a one-point decision in the 2003 state championship game. As the defensive coordinator at Carroll the last three years, Mendoza’s squad ranked 20th in total defense in 2004, 10th in 2005 and third in 2006. He coached at least one all-state linebacker in each of his seven years with the Dragons, including Ben Hixson who currently plays at Baylor, Patrick Benoist who plays at Vanderbilt and Pete Fleps who plays at SMU. With a perfect 16-0 record in 2006, his defense allowed an average of just 11.2 points per game and the team’s margin of victory was 33.1 points per game.

Before joining Dodge at Carroll, Mendoza had spent 20 years as an assistant coach at several different high schools. His first high school coaching job was at Morton, Texas in 1982 and from there he had stops at Odessa, Del Rio, Diamond Hill Jarvis, South Grand Prairie, Newman Smith and Flower Mound High School. Mendoza spent the majority of his tenure coaching linebackers, but also has experience coaching offensive line.

Pretty damn hard to shut down an offense when your on the same sideline?

Rick

Just consider the source to which you posed the question to. :rolleyes:

Pretty damn hard to shut down an offense when your on the same sideline?

Rick

Rick, since your the smartest dude on the board and the best connected, ask Vito to ask Dodge why he hired Mendoza away from Flower Mound or Grand Prairie or somewhere because Mendoza gave Dodge fits (hell, Dodge said so in one of his very first press conferences, when he announced some of his staff) Common Rick, I know you have that press conference on tape somewhere.

It's a fact. Sorry Rick, I am wrong most of the time but not on this one. Its really amazing that when you have a typo, that you can't take it back. I wish I could be perfect like you Rick.

By the way, I want one of those fire lids. Any idea where I can get one? Seriously, when you pose with that lid, make your eagle claw and and your eagle claw smile for all those photos your in, it kind of gives me some hope to be on the VIP board with you.

Rick, stay off my ass, or you'll get me banned again. I just wish I could find that photo of you with Eagle claw look on your face. Please somebody help me find it.

Edited by Dodge2007

Just because Mendoza can shut down Dodge's offense doesn't mean that he can shut down anyone. It's already been proven 4 times. I really hope he gets it together and has an epiphany sometime this season, but using that as a reason for hiring him in the first place doesn't cut it in my book. I want a defense that can shut down more than just one type of offense. I really want a coach on our staff, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, with some skins on the wall.

As the defensive coordinator at Carroll the last three years, Mendoza’s squad ranked 20th in total defense in 2004, 10th in 2005 and third in 2006. He coached at least one all-state linebacker in each of his seven years with the Dragons, including Ben Hixson who currently plays at Baylor, Patrick Benoist who plays at Vanderbilt and Pete Fleps who plays at SMU. With a perfect 16-0 record in 2006, his defense allowed an average of just 11.2 points per game and the team’s margin of victory was 33.1 points per game.

I just got a crazy idea. I don't know if it has any merit but I'll throw it out to you guys anyway. Could it be that Mendoza had an unfair advantage at SLC in that the Dragon offense was so potent that other teams were busy trying to play catchup? Would forcing teams to deviate from a ball control mode to a score now mode increase the chance of mistakes and turnovers? At North Texas we haven't developed the offense fully yet so teams haven't had to overcome a healthy points lead like SLC's opposition did.

I just got a crazy idea. I don't know if it has any merit but I'll throw it out to you guys anyway. Could it be that Mendoza had an unfair advantage at SLC in that the Dragon offense was so potent that other teams were busy trying to play catchup? Would forcing teams to deviate from a ball control mode to a score now mode increase the chance of mistakes and turnovers? At North Texas we haven't developed the offense fully yet so teams haven't had to overcome a healthy points lead like SLC's opposition did.

I'm inclined to say no. In the 2 losses that we were ahead by 2 touchdowns early it didn't seem to help. Those teams stretched the field and scored at will on us anyway, and won.

If you want a good example of the phenomenon you are presenting I would tell you to look at the Dallas Cowboys this year. You'd have a very good argument with them.

So he shut down Dodge before either of them got to SLC, is that correct? Have you guys seen how bad some of Dodges teams were before he got to SLC. I do believe he can turn it around though, I mean his first year at SLC I think he went 9-5. That means he was 6-4 before going on a pretty good playoff run. Fourth round I believe.

So he shut down Dodge before either of them got to SLC, is that correct? Have you guys seen how bad some of Dodges teams were before he got to SLC. I do believe he can turn it around though, I mean his first year at SLC I think he went 9-5. That means he was 6-4 before going on a pretty good playoff run. Fourth round I believe.

Before SLC, Dodge took three different losing programs and made them .500 clubs by the second season.

Rick